Why Did You Buy Your P3?

Reaction score
Hello all this is my 1st post in this forum. I'm from Northern California (Bay Area) and seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a P3P. I've never owned a drone before except for those small helicopters from Brookstone. Just flew them inside the house for fun. My reason for wanting to buy a P3P is:
1. I've always wanted to be a pilot but never got serious about it. So this is the next best thing (for me).
2. Made a few movies & montages mainly for the family. I thought this would take it to the next level. We have a family reunion coming up in July and it would be an awesome tool to create another masterpiece.
3. For now it's just a hobby. But if I get really hooked, I may consider using it for a side business (whatever it may be).
4. Just very curious to be able to play with it and enjoy this wonderful piece of technology. My son and I can fly it and would be a great bonding experience (not that we don't bond now).
5. Another good reason to upgrade my TV to 4K. Wait until my wife hears that.

I've been watching many YouTube shorts about this. Each time I finish watching, I get closer & closer to pulling that trigger. I just don't want to find out later that it wasn't all it's cracked out to be and it ends up on a shelf in my garage. First, I thought of just starting out with a P3S. But knowing myself, I will want to upgrade to something better later. So why not get the best one now (under a P4)? I am technically inclined so not afraid of that (not like this is rocket science). What I am afraid of is add more accessories and before you know it, I've sunk my entire 401K savings to it (ha! exaggeration...but you know what I mean).

Anyway, just wanted to hear from noobs like me why you bought your P3. Also, what was your reason for choosing that model?

Hello all this is my 1st post in this forum. I'm from Northern California (Bay Area) and seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a P3P. I've never owned a drone before except for those small helicopters from Brookstone. Just flew them inside the house for fun. My reason for wanting to buy a P3P is:
1. I've always wanted to be a pilot but never got serious about it. So this is the next best thing (for me).
2. Made a few movies & montages mainly for the family. I thought this would take it to the next level. We have a family reunion coming up in July and it would be an awesome tool to create another masterpiece.
3. For now it's just a hobby. But if I get really hooked, I may consider using it for a side business (whatever it may be).
4. Just very curious to be able to play with it and enjoy this wonderful piece of technology. My son and I can fly it and would be a great bonding experience (not that we don't bond now).
5. Another good reason to upgrade my TV to 4K. Wait until my wife hears that.

I've been watching many YouTube shorts about this. Each time I finish watching, I get closer & closer to pulling that trigger. I just don't want to find out later that it wasn't all it's cracked out to be and it ends up on a shelf in my garage. First, I thought of just starting out with a P3S. But knowing myself, I will want to upgrade to something better later. So why not get the best one now (under a P4)? I am technically inclined so not afraid of that (not like this is rocket science). What I am afraid of is add more accessories and before you know it, I've sunk my entire 401K savings to it (ha! exaggeration...but you know what I mean).

Anyway, just wanted to hear from noobs like me why you bought your P3. Also, what was your reason for choosing that model?
Buy it you will love it

look at this autel comes with everything
20160427_153329.jpg

Reactions: captainmilehigh
What's the range like on that vs the Phantom?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
flew mine out 2.54 miles no video loss still had full connection

Nice does it have a similar type of light bridge technology like DJI

Nice does it have a similar type of light bridge technology like DJI

yep

I pulled the trigger last week on the P3 Advanced. There was a flash sale on Amazon. It listed for $899, and was marked down to $627 for 4 hours. I was like you too. I was interested, but was worried it may lose its luster and sit in the garage after the newness wore off. Then I started checking out YouTube vids, the Skypixel photos and was really amazed at what was possible. I do amateur photography. I was also thinking about earning some extra money doing aerial photography and video for real estate. Maybe even chimney, roof, gutter, etc... inspections for contractors so they can create estimates without sending a guy in a truck and climbing on a house. Anyways...
First thing I would check is your local laws about flying these things. I live in NY and have hit a bit of a wall on where and when I can fly. the public is in a bit of a panic about these things invading their "privacy" in "public" spaces... yeah. a real head scratch-er there... For the time being. Flying is banned in NYS parks and our local Suffolk county parks. Whats nice is that the county recently passed a law that will require a yearly permit for 35 dollars, or a per flight permit for 8 buck a day. I'm OK with that, but no beach flying between May and September. Remember to register with the FAA. Its five bucks for recreational flying. If I start to do actual work with the drone, Ill have to file for another exemption... not sure the cost for that.
That Autel looks nice too. Chassis is a little sharper on it. Not sure of the cost. Good luck in your search!

Was always interested in getting one and finally pulled the trigger on a P3S to get into it. Most of the flying will be done at my ranch in Mason, TX. I can easily see myself upgrading to the P3P at some point.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1