Why can't you find the gps sats? Also, how to inspect gps?

Reaction score
My Phantom seems to never find GPS sats since I put it into naza mode. It just flashes green-red-red-red. I'm sure there are other topics on this, but I can't think of the right search words to find them.

Anyway, I did find a topic where someone suggested looking at the gps module to see if it was intact, and after opening my phantom, I found that it is taped quit effectively to the roof. The "tape" is interesting as it's we more of an adhesive patch which has copper on the outsides. I'm loathe to peel back the "tape", so perhaps someone can tell me how to inspect the gps without doing so?

Still the main issue is finding sats, so that is what I most hope to hear about.

Re: Why can't you find the gps sats? Also, how to inspect gp

When you say never, how long is that?

It will flash like that until it gets enough satellites. It will give progressively less red as it finds more satellites. It should then flash rapid green confirming home lock is set and 3 seconds later another burst of green flashes confiming enough satellites to take off. Its all in the manual.

Edit: you also got to be outside with plenty of space around you. No cliffs or tall buildings

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

GreyGhost said:
My Phantom seems to never find GPS sats since I put it into naza mode. It just flashes green-red-red-red. I'm sure there are other topics on this, but I can't think of the right search words to find them.

Anyway, I did find a topic where someone suggested looking at the gps module to see if it was intact, and after opening my phantom, I found that it is taped quit effectively to the roof. The "tape" is interesting as it's we more of an adhesive patch which has copper on the outsides. I'm loathe to peel back the "tape", so perhaps someone can tell me how to inspect the gps without doing so?

Still the main issue is finding sats, so that is what I most hope to hear about.
How long are you waiting?

I would advise getting an FPV setup so you can check / keep tabs on how many satellites the Phantom is seeing via the iOSD. I find sometimes it just takes a few minutes to connect to more than 5 (less than six gives the Green-Red-Red-Red sequence in Naza-M GPS mode). I always wait until at least 7 are in play.

A very important point to remember every time you fly; if you get less than 6 satellites, at any time, your Phantom will essentially be in ATTI mode and will drift + you will not have the failsafe (return to home) function available, it will just land wherever it is at that time if failsafe is triggered, as it does in ATTI mode.

BTW: Don't worry about peeling the GPS module shield back if you ever need to take a look, it's very sticky and will stick back fine.

EDIT: Also make sure the GPS plug is seated correctly to the main board's socket before you reattach the top of the shell.

As to how long I wait, after about ten minutes, I give up and fly in atti mode. Are most of you finding it take you much more then ten minutes?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie