Why can't DJI sell the phantom on its own?

Reaction score
With the number of reports of crashed phantoms (whether due to build problems, pilot error or whatever) there are a lot of people holding transmitters, batteries, chargers, cases and so on with nothing to fly.

Wouldn't it be great if DJI sold the Phantom on its own without all of the 'accessories'? They used to do this with the P1.

Just a thought.

Why not.

Price at $680 with no camera, battery, props, etc. is so high it makes more sense to buy a complete new unit and keep what you have for spare parts or sell unneeded parts. Price for an advanced is only $999.

Ok. The phantom body - complete - with the gimbal and camera attached. Imagine if you lost yours over water, never to be retrieved. The bit that's missing is what I am referring to.
I see what you are saying but consider that you probably could purchase a whole unit and sell the remote. As is, you can buy body and camera separately and it's more.

I think DJI makes it difficult to build your own price wise for a reason

It is probably much cheaper for DJI to mass produce and sell complete packages than what it would cost them to stock and sell individual parts due to the quantity sold. I would guess that most of the price we pay for the P3's is for the engineering involved/perceived value and the actual production cost per unit is quite low and gets lower the more units they sell. Their pricing structure is to earn DJI the highest profit they can. They know if we lose a unit with their pricing we will replace it with another complete system putting more into DJI pockets.

Exactly! But with the remote being so expensive, I'd have thought that the 'rest' would be reasonable. Seems not.
Consider the P2+ new remote with gimbal wheel that was selling for $99 and making a good profit. Compare to the P3 remote, maybe the P3 remote is worth $50 or $100 more but not $400+ more. All of the spare parts are priced high.

Reactions: happydays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers