why can't dji do it this way?

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgWGzuFjqT4

I think it's high time DJI advanced a little.
After seeing this video, I have to ask, why not?
The Hero 3+ black camera already has a built in way of feeding video out to a transmitter.
So why not utilize it?
This video shows a transmitter board simply being snapped into the port on the backside of the camera.
All DJI would have to do is to hardwire the connector on the Tx module.
User simply snaps the module into place.
KISS it! Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Well simplicity isn't everything...

You care about how simple it is to hook up when you're starting out, eager and impatient to get into it... once you've got the setup working, then you'll care about how far it can go, how much juice it consumes, etc.

But yeah, if that thing can get decent distance, then it'd be great. Small, light and simple enough.

Edit: It's transmit power is 20mw.

In comparison, the default fatshark transmitter comes at 250mw and the popular immersionRC one is 600mw.

pps: maybe DJI ain't so stupid after all.

I'm just sayin that DJI should at least look into what gopro made available.
A lot of people don't know soldering and don't know how to get the job done elsewhere.
The only change I would make, is have the antenna facing down, rather than up.
Or maybe even sideways.
I know I'd like it a lot better if the unit just snapped into place.

It's a neat solution, until you want to mount your gopro in a gimbal. Or have it hanging upside down in a cage mount like many people do on their Phantoms.

DJI is well aware of the usefulness of that output port on the back of the gopro, that's why they use that exact method in their zenmuse gimbal. The video is then sent down the output cable, which can be wired to the Tx with no soldering if you use all DJI equipment. If you go with aftermarket gear, then be prepared to splice some cables.

LeoS said:
Well simplicity isn't everything...

You care about how simple it is to hook up when you're starting out, eager and impatient to get into it... once you've got the setup working, then you'll care about how far it can go, how much juice it consumes, etc.

But yeah, if that thing can get decent distance, then it'd be great. Small, light and simple enough.

Edit: It's transmit power is 20mw.

In comparison, the default fatshark transmitter comes at 250mw and the popular immersionRC one is 600mw.

pps: maybe DJI ain't so stupid after all.

I was going to say, if that 20mW is accurate, I can't see range being more than 50 feet line of sight!

Mike

mikeydaddio said:
LeoS said:
I was going to say, if that 20mW is accurate, I can't see range being more than 50 feet line of sight!

Mike

It all depends on how sensitive your receiver antennas are. Get yourself a nice 20db gain patch and you could go a long way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.