Why ATTI mode is not for me

Reaction score
True, ATTI mode is faster and quicker response than gps -P.

I have read that atti is fun, that you learn that way. So I tried it today for about 24 minutes ( 2 times) and if that's supposed to be fun and greater at piloting well then I guess I'm just an unfunny horrible pilot. LOL

Requires constant stick intervention, requiring flying straight yet having to manually ascend, roll left and right. Forward and back.

During this stunt flying the tiny bit of wind brought it somewhat downward and let the momentum roll left nearly crashing. Here again, hands on sticks.

By "almost" getting this bird to fly straight a great amount of battery can be used.

But, it is a necessary thing to learn though I have no love for it. If Iose GPS I will have to learn to bring this home ( increase pilot skills).

Flying in ATTI is not fun at all for me. It is a constant "oops, too much that way or this way.

It appears to behave like a kite in the wind - no fun. Guys, I don't want an aircraft simulator .

Why not just skip ATTI and go right to sport? Racing has its place, P MODE is conservative and relaxing to fly.

Others like this mode, many others! So, I must be the minority. But my heart rate stays normal : )

Cheers

Reactions: rusticroad
True, ATTI mode is faster and quicker response than gps -P.

I have read that atti is fun, that you learn that way. So I tried it today for about 24 minutes ( 2 times) and if that's supposed to be fun and greater at piloting well then I guess I'm just an unfunny horrible pilot. LOL

Requires constant stick intervention, requiring flying straight yet having to manually ascend, roll left and right. Forward and back.

During this stunt flying the tiny bit of wind brought it somewhat downward and let the momentum roll left nearly crashing. Here again, hands on sticks.

By "almost" getting this bird to fly straight a great amount of battery can be used.

But, it is a necessary thing to learn though I have no love for it. If Iose GPS I will have to learn to bring this home ( increase pilot skills).

Flying in ATTI is not fun at all for me. It is a constant "oops, too much that way or this way.

It appears to behave like a kite in the wind - no fun. Guys, I don't want an aircraft simulator .

Why not just skip ATTI and go right to sport? Racing has its place, P MODE is conservative and relaxing to fly.

Others like this mode, many others! So, I must be the minority. But my heart rate stays normal : )

Cheers

Sport Mode is a GPS mode, just like regular GPS mode, but with higher stick gain and higher top speed. That's not at all the same as ATTI. In ATTI the FC controls only altitude and attitude. Forwards/backwards/sideways movement is under manual control, and returning the right stick to center will not stop the aircraft - it will simply cause it to coast. And it will drift with the wind unless actively prevented. You can think of it as a sort of Newton's First Law mode.

And it is important to be able to fly in ATTI in case you lose GPS, as you point out. The Phantoms have always had that mode available, which is great. The Mavic does not, which puts Mavic pilots at a serious disadvantage if they have never had the opportunity to practice with a Phantom or other DJI aircraft.

Get a Cheerson CX10 or something similar and practice indoors. Once you master it you will have a blast and ATTI will feel like driving a fine automobile to ya. That's how I started out. Little guys and then bigger ones. They all have their strengths and little quarks but it's like starting out driving a really nice rig that you never have to put oil in.

My dirty little secret - If I haven't flown in awhile, I fly a Syma X5C before I take the P4 out. With a pocket full of batteries one can get pretty comfortable on the sticks. Just the ticket to hopefully provide an aha instead of an oh no moment.

Every now and then I will switch to ATTI mode just for the practice. I think the trick is to not over control on the sticks. Very slight movement on the sticks can cause a large directional shift on the drone. It is exceptionally more difficult in a strong wind. It really does take practice.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Normally I'm flying my P3Pro. But the other day I was just testing my P3S on my residential street in a fairly strong wind. Lots of trees and power lines on the street. When I take off, I have to go straight up to about 100 feet to be sure of clearing all of the obstacles. Landing is the same thing. Over the LZ, hover, and then straight down. Half way down on the landing phase, about 75 feet or so, I lost all GPS for some reason. I don't know what happened and didn't have time to figure it out. The Standard started to drift downwind and was heading for some power lines. It took a second for me to realize what had happened. Luckily I had practiced ATTI mode on occasion, so I just took over manually and landed. It wasn't the smoothest approach and landing, but it was down and safe. I highly recommend practicing manual flying now and then. Just get it up high where you have time to think, and don't over control. I find that holding the control sticks at the very bottom of the shaft helps to make small control inputs.

I've been flying toy quads for a while now and that kinda flying will definitely sharpen your skills. No GPS, no auto hover. They have auto hover but it sucks, I never use it. You have to maintain altitude by throttling the motors and to keep it in a hover requires constant stick movement on both sticks. I've had probably 10 toy quads, I lost probably 8 and I've got 2 left and even with that said I consider myself to be pretty decent on the sticks. I just try to do stuff you shouldn't do with a toy quad like take it up 300 feet or let get to far away and have a fly away. I swear those things are like house cats, you give them half a chance and there gone! Flying the p4 even in atti mode is a dream compared to something with no flight assists.

I admit I need to practice more in manual mode...

Every now and then I will switch to ATTI mode just for the practice. I think the trick is to not over control on the sticks. Very slight movement on the sticks can cause a large directional shift on the drone. It is exceptionally more difficult in a strong wind. It really does take practice.
It also takes a lot longer for the aircraft to stop when you let go of the sticks.. when in normal P mode, the aircraft will stop within probably 6-10ft when flying at full speed and letting go.. but in ATTI mode, it's probably twice that distance at least.. so I highly recommend practicing in an open area away from trees or any obstructions..

Reactions: Grandpa Don
It also takes a lot longer for the aircraft to stop when you let go of the sticks.. when in normal P mode, the aircraft will stop within probably 6-10ft when flying at full speed and letting go.. but in ATTI mode, it's probably twice that distance at least.. so I highly recommend practicing in an open area away from trees or any obstructions..

That's because in ATTI it's not even trying to stop - it's just coasting. It will only slow down due to air drag. You have to pull the right stick back (or opposite to whichever direction it is moving relative to the aircraft) to apply any braking.

Yes so true, but does atti mode hit 30--32 mph as opposed to 24-27 P mode?

I say this because I really want to do another mission test at a faster speed yet keeping the bird straight in ATTI with the constant manual to go straight defeats the purpose for getting to distance goal but in less time whilst using battery.

That's because in ATTI it's not even trying to stop - it's just coasting. It will only slow down due to air drag. You have to pull the right stick back (or opposite to whichever direction it is moving relative to the aircraft) to apply any braking.
good point

I say this because I really want to do another mission test at a faster speed yet keeping the bird straight in ATTI with the constant manual to go straight defeats the purpose for getting to distance goal but in less time whilst using battery.
I have hit 51.9 mph in ATTI mode, according to DJI GO 4.0 logs, but that was with a 15mph tail wind :^)

So fly somewhere with no obstacles to worry about and turn obstacle avoidance off and enjoy the speed boost.

So fly somewhere with no obstacles to worry about and turn obstacle avoidance off and enjoy the speed boost.

Funny you mention speed boost. I went from P to Sport today and it was pretty windy. I liked the responsiveness of the P4 and the speed was amazing-even caught the wind downwind.

But here is what is unusual to me anyway. I use the same launch point every day and had a perfectly good compass reading as nearly all of my RTH were precise. But the night before, I had my P4 tuned on and placed it on top of my refrigerator ( as I wanted to adjust camera settings) and I get the warning of strong magnetic field and red caution sign. I shut everything off.

Today, I go back to my usual launch spot - and again it says strong magnetic field yet each calibration failed. Finally the third try it calibrated.

But when I was about to take off I don't remember hearing the voice "RTH recorded". So i flew in pmode, switched to s mode, then back to P mode, controller lit up saying GPS 17 sats. Hmmm..so I hit RTH button and guess what, did not return home, just hovered a few hundred feet away. I manually brought it in and landed.

Does all of this make sense?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan