Why all this range talk?

Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance here, but I'm having trouble understanding something.

Why are people worried about range issues on the phantoms? Why do people want/need to go further than a mile out? Are we not supposed to keep line of sight?

I just don't see the point. It's not like your getting amazing footage of a straight line run...

Again, I may be missing something...so tell me why you want/need more range.

P3P

Reactions: dmagnus
Some shoot stills and video well out over water of cruise ships, commercial vessels and remote barrier islands.

Some fly out over land that is relatively difficult to get thru.

Some are interested in how far they can push their platform.

Reactions: dirkclod
56941294.jpg

If you want to get into the ethics and legalities of VLOS\BLOS, there are many here that will gladly take up that debate. (Please don't though, it's been covered over and over.)

The potential reasons that one might want to fly some distance from the takeoff point and out of sight of the operator are really to numerous to list.

Please excuse my ignorance here, but I'm having trouble understanding something.

Why are people worried about range issues on the phantoms? Why do people want/need to go further than a mile out? Are we not supposed to keep line of sight?

I just don't see the point. It's not like your getting amazing footage of a straight line run...

P3P

Line of site is a guideline, not an enforceable law. The world doesn't revolve around one person or one mindset so just because it's not an interest of yours doesn't mean others should not be able or capable of doing it if they so desire....

A stronger signal will also help with short range flights in a noisy area. Half range of a P3a/p is way better than half range with a standard. Plus it's nice to get what you pay for!

All good points that I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

I won't argue rules or regs. That's a waste of time.

P3P

Reactions: stulpin300m
Line of site is a guideline, not an enforceable law. The world doesn't revolve around one person or one mindset so just because it's not an interest of yours doesn't mean others should not be able or capable of doing it if they so desire....

A stronger signal will also help with short range flights in a noisy area. Half range of a P3a/p is way better than half range with a standard. Plus it's nice to get what you pay for!
To clarify, LOS flying is not the law. However anyone flying BLOS could be fined for "reckless endangerment" depending on the circumstances they are flying in.
Fly BLOS in the middle of nowhere, rural areas, over water, etc., you are probably fine. Fly BLOS in other areas where you could get caught, and you might be facing some fines. You would probably win in a court of law, if you have deep enough pockets to fight the charges.

Reactions: dmagnus
Forget the LOS rules.... That's all up for interpretation and I don't care.

More reasons to go out far?

P3P

A few days ago you posted how you were brand new to drones, were waiting for your first flight, etc., etc.

Since then I've seen you dolling out some patently dangerous advice to list members.

Have you actually educated yourself on the quidelines and regulations
yeah, i was new but since then i have like 5 or 6 long flights which is like ACE by WW2 standards. so when i say "says who?" i'm interested in where OP is getting his info about line of sight. this aint now walmart drone with 20 foot range. why would they even make P3 with that capability if it had to be line of sight. so i would really like to knwo is there some master rule book that I didn't get with my drone about line of sight only?

Really? Like really...lets stay on topic. If you want to argue a moot point just go somewhere else.

The first thing I said was forgive my ignorance...

P3P

P3P

The point is... Not many are getting anywhere near a mile range on some of the models.

On my standard I'm lucky to get 200 feet above me without losing signal and auto return to home kicks in.

Can't comment on the rest of the p3 range, but the range on the p3 standard is not up to what DJI claim it to be, nowhere near close.

Sorry about your range 250 but more get lots of range with the Standard and my best was 3.04 miles .
Rostato it's like an addiction once ya get started . You just want more .

In the UK the CAA regulations are LOS only. Though of course if you flew in an open area over countryside or the sea without incident who would know! Its like the rule which saids that you should have a spotter with you if you fly FPV. But would imagine most fliers are on their own.

Sorry about your range 250 but more get lots of range with the Standard and my best was 3.04 miles .
Rostato it's like an addiction once ya get started . You just want more .

You must be lucky.

Lots of owners on this forum struggle in the same boat as me.

The UK p3 models are restricted quite badly

To clarify, LOS flying is not the law. However anyone flying BLOS could be fined for "reckless endangerment" depending on the circumstances they are flying in.
Fly BLOS in the middle of nowhere, rural areas, over water, etc., you are probably fine. Fly BLOS in other areas where you could get caught, and you might be facing some fines. You would probably win in a court of law, if you have deep enough pockets to fight the charges.

Any sources you could cite to prove the comment above in bold?

Any problems caused by a drone could/would be the operators fault, it wouldn't matter if they're flying within LOS or not. Basically what i'm getting as is if you fly like an idiot, you're gonna get into trouble no matter how you were controlling/viewing the drone at the time. The simple fact you were BLOS would in no way cause additional legal problems for someone.

In the UK the CAA regulations are LOS only. Though of course if you flew in an open area over countryside or the sea without incident who would know! Its like the rule which saids that you should have a spotter with you if you fly FPV. But would imagine most fliers are on their own.

Canada is also VLOS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik