Who's using a gimbal guard for ribbon cable protection?

This isn't made to protect your camera from being hit from below or snagging your cable directly. It seems to serve one specific purpose - keeping the two halves of the gimbal from separating on hard impact where they are just held together by magnets. That separation causes the ribbon cable to break (so one would assume that the two gimbal halves can just be put back together and the magnets would reattach if you replaced your cable?). I'm curious if this is helpful as well.

But do we know for sure that will even work? In theory I could see why it would be stronger but theory doesn't always mean real world.
They would work OK if you crashed as they will definately stop the motor from separating. Motor separation snaps the ribbon cable. Killer.com is the ones I've fitted to my P2+ and P3A.
Just to add some extra grey hairs.......everything about the gimbal is delicate and wanting in my opinion so try very hard not to crash. Crash it real hard and everything gets bent.

Last edited:
I had a compass freak out on a bridge and my p3 flew straight into the ground. Shattered my lense and mauled the top of the camera. If it wasn't for the killer RC gimbal guard my camera was toast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 289
I had a compass freak out on a bridge and my p3 flew straight into the ground. Shattered my lense and mauled the top of the camera. If it wasn't for the killer RC gimbal guard my camera was toast.
Well, that's certainly a good testimonial. Thanks for that. I ordered one a couple days ago....

Well, that's certainly a good testimonial. Thanks for that. I ordered one a couple days ago....
Yea I'm still wrapping my head around the fact the landing gear had to of bent ALOT for my camera to get damaged on the top like it did. I was very thankful lol. I'd lost a camera on a vision 2 plus because of no gimbal bracket. Never again make the same mistake.

So there seem to be 2 types of gimbal guards. These that attach underneath like from UAV bits and gimbal-guard.com, and then these one installs on the side, like from killer rc and djiphantomfix.com. What is the best? I currently have one for underneath from UAV bits, and although it attaches fine and I suppose it protects well, I occasionally see the guard in my videos (when stopping abruptly or when there is a lot of wind and turning). It's not that bad, but maybe there's a better option?

I installed a gimbal guard as an extra reassurance based on p2. Just a peace of mind really in the event of something unplanned happening. The one word of caution I would suggest that you consider is to ensure that you don't fit it even a little too tightly as, in my case, it impeded the travel of the gimbal slightly, resulting in jerky footage. Refitted solved this problem completely.

I installed a gimbal guard as an extra reassurance based on p2. Just a peace of mind really in the event of something unplanned happening. The one word of caution I would suggest that you consider is to ensure that you don't fit it even a little too tightly as, in my case, it impeded the travel of the gimbal slightly, resulting in jerky footage. Refitted solved this problem completely.

Which one was that?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl