Who's using a gimbal guard for ribbon cable protection?

Reaction score
I just installed my aluminum gimbal guard that's suppose to protect the ribbon cable if/when something goes wrong in flight. I'm not really sure how effective this little item will be but I do believe in any possible protection for any future accidents.

Anyone else using this?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1438631966.197462.jpg

Reactions: Erik Somoroff
I get it.......but won't a crash which takes out the cable going to take out the camera also? Do you have a link for the product?

I made my own.

20150511_180957.jpg

Reactions: Fplvert
I get it.......but won't a crash which takes out the cable going to take out the camera also? Do you have a link for the product?

It's to prevent the ribbon tear. You want the entire assembly to "pop" off rather than the camera separating from the gimbal. A scratched camera+gimbal works better then a torn cable. Its also easier to repair the grey clip in cables then reinstalling/obtaining the ribbon cable..

Reactions: FASTFJR
Does it effect the center of gravity or flight characteristics?

It's to prevent the ribbon tear. You want the entire assembly to "pop" off rather than the camera separating from the gimbal. A scratched camera+gimbal works better then a torn cable. Its also easier to repair the grey clip in cables then reinstalling/obtaining the ribbon cable..

I got it

I have the killer RC camera guard and the UAVBits gimbal guard... I hope they never have to prove their value but if I do crash, I hope they're worth it.

Reactions: Jeff48920
says unavailable. Not sure how this will effect gimbal performance though

It can't affect the gimbal performance because the guard doesn't change the way the gimbal operates. It just replaces the stock backplate with another one that has the side guard.

ok, so a lot of people have this but has anyone actually needed to use it yet? Like have you had a free fall from 100 feet and the ribbon didn't break? how do we know it really works?

I just installed my aluminum gimbal guard that's suppose to protect the ribbon cable if/when something goes wrong in flight. I'm not really sure how effective this little item will be but I do believe in any possible protection for any future accidents.

Anyone else using this?

View attachment 26458

Used this exact one and when the bird hit a pole and fell from about 15' the entire gimbal snapped off right behind the Gimbal Guard. Not saying it was supposed to prevent it but it sure didn't make a difference.

I have the KillerRC one on my P2V+ V2 bird, as that gimbal motor was notorious for separating and ruining the ribbon cable. The cable wasn't even available at the time, so many of us had to buy a whole new camera and gimbal.

The P2V+ V3 bird DJI changed the press fit material making it less vulnerable to separation. I think the P3 birds are also using this improved design. There is nothing wrong with adding a gimbal guard. I look at it as a bit of insurance, but hopefully not needed!

But do we know for sure that will even work? In theory I could see why it would be stronger but theory doesn't always mean real world.

But do we know for sure that will even work? In theory I could see why it would be stronger but theory doesn't always mean real world.
It's not very expensive and it would obviously protect the camera from being hit from directly below. That being said, it doesn't cover much so there are still plenty of ways to ruin your camera even with this installed. I actually hit my ribbon cable with one of these attached. The cable just came out and I popped it back it. Could have been worse without the guard... Who really knows.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4