Who's actually filming and Editing in 4k

Macbook Pro laptops don't have 4K monitors but it can do 1440p, already a nice step up from 1080p. When uploading my 4K files to YouTube in addition to 4K playback option folks with retina displays can now enjoy it in 1440p as oppose to 1080p.

Sampling down 4K to 1080p is better than recording in 1080p.

My 4K mp4 files is about 5GB for every 10min, just drop 3TB time capsule or WD on your network and you won't have any storage problems.

Here's first 4K video I did and I noticed significant bump in quality of video files.

If you can afford it, don't settle for 1080p. 4K displays will be as common as 1080p displays in the next couple years.

What software do you guys use for scaling the footage down from 4k to 1080p?

I haven't really seen anyone mention this aspect of 4k filming so I thought I'd just throw this in the ring.
Due to the file system being used the Phantom/Inspire keeps files at 4GB each which is about 9 and a half minutes of 4k footage. Unfortunately there are some lost frames as it finalises one file and starts the continuation file.
It's real easy to just start recording on take off and keep recording until you land. Unless you're planning a few specific shots or stopping to take photos then your flight footage will be split up and if it happens in the middle of a really cool shot then unfortunately it's been ruined by the split.
It's easy to avoid but it's something to keep in mind if you just plan to record 4k video for the entire flight.

Yes, you will need a computer that can handle 4K, RAM wise, and also have a storage device such as a 2TB hard drive.

However, I do think it is advisable to go with the Professional model. At the very least, if you are outputting in 1080, you can "zoom" via cropping on all the videos by 1/4. This photo explains it in a visual way. The 1080 part is how small you could crop a 4k video and retain quality.
View attachment 20346

Not sure cropping is a great idea. Much better to resize the whole picture to 1080p instead, to maintain quality.

You will be able to edit but it is going to hurt a little. My desktop is not top of the line by today's standard but is an i7 with 16 gig of ram, SSD drives and a mediocre $300 video card. For someone impatient like me the process is painful.

Course without 4K monitor etc, you are not totally seeing what you are editing.

You're a!most there. Your video card is the bottleneck. I've got the same specs but with a GTX980 and it loves 4K. No issues in edit at all.

You're a!most there. Your video card is the bottleneck. I've got the same specs but with a GTX980 and it loves 4K. No issues in edit at all.

Yea I might consider an upgrade. Just not sure its worth it. My i7 is an older generation with the fastest speed for that gen. I am running a GTX as well but older 570 from a couple years ago.

Just not sure an upgrade to something like your 980 is wise for me.

I understand the p3p have a fan under the gimbal and p3a don't. Will that be a reason of buying the p3p over the p3a?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 395
I understand the p3p have a fan under the gimbal and p3a don't. Will that be a reason of buying the p3p over the p3a?

The fan is there to cool because of the added processing needed when shooting 4k. Idk that it should be the reason you go p3p over p3a.

You can crop 4k and maintain pixel for pixel quality if you're heading for 1080 output. I do it all the time for the stuff we do.
Of course, and me too on occaisions. I was pointing out that you dont have to throw away large parts of your source material just to be able to get to 1080p....which is what was being suggested in the original post I responded too.

Of course, and me too on occaisions. I was pointing out that you dont have to throw away large parts of your source material just to be able to get to 1080p....which is what was being suggested in the original post I responded too.
I think it's more that you can be a tad less accurate in framing and still get the 1080 frame you need. Handy with this kind of thing. Not so necessary on a tripod system.

My P3P will arrive to me next week in Uganda. After teaching myself how to fly, I plan on doing the same shot in 4K and in 1080p, then scaling the 4k down in post and comparing the two. If the 4:4:4:4 color as mentioned here and elsewhere on the interwebs is noticeable, I will continue doing that.

The second thing I want to play with is downscaling immediately on import or editing in 4K, then exporting as 1080p, to see if either output is better, and to see which one is easier on my macbook pro.

I'd love to be able to edit 4k but my laptop is just not good enough, i have a 4k tv so i just watch the footage on that, i recorded a short film in 1080p @50fps yesterday for the first time and was surprised how good the footage was, great for me to be able to upload to youtube.
No editing was involved besides me putting the title in the film with moviemaker, remember to click on the settings tab at the bottom of the screen to view in 1080p.
Chasewater Reservoir, Cannock, UK.

I've been cautious with distance thus far - and height - but the 4K video is going to be a godsend, I think -
should also mention that the P3 was being blown about something rotten - it was fighting the blustery conditions hard, but, viewing the video, you'd be pushed to see that, I think.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik