Who will register their Phantom with the FAA?

So will you Register your bird with the FAA?

• Yes, voluntarily

• Yes if forced to by law

• No, I ain't getting on that government list

Results are only viewable after voting.
Of course I will. I am an AMA member who enjoys having the insurance which requires me to fly by the rules. I already have a sticker on my UAVs that offers a reward for return and my phone number with additional information in a QR code square.

However I have some predictions to share for "the sky is falling" crew.

Prediction #1
Off duty TSA workers will be required to monitor UAV activities in their off hours. Imagine the quality of that monitoring.

Prediction #2
UAVs will be required to be painted high contrast colors.

Prediction #3
All video will be submitted to the Film Board to be reviewed for ratings.

Prediction #4
Registered UAVs will have to comply with 15' maximum altitude and 40' maximum range limitations.

Prediction #5
DJI and Yuneeq will be declared enemy nations subjecting consumers to "trading with the enemy" sanctions.

Prediction #6
The taxation of UAVs will increase the cost of UAVs to 500% of current sales price.

Prediction #7
All UAV purchasers will have to pass a background check before they can pick up their purchases.

Prediction #8
Registered UAV owners will be required to pass a competency test prior to being able to become registered.

Prediction #9
Even though it will be called registration it will be much more like licensing and you will need to produce your license whenever requested to do so, regardless of whether the requester is a federal agent, Barney Fife or your next door neighbor.

I think a lot of people are missing the point here, registration with the Government is not only a power grab, but as with most power grabs, it involves money....

Do you honestly think the FAA is going to allow you to register for free?

So the recent fox news report stated an estimated 700 000 drones to be sold this xmas, OK so lets be relatively conservative here and double it.. 1.4Million drones in service. What is going to be a reasonable fee for registration, the drone costs $1000.00 so 50 bucks should do it right.

1.4million x 50 = 70 mil conservatively, and it will be a user fee or not a tax, this will allow the illustrious FAA to determine where they want to spend it without congressional oversight. I bet more than one FAA "management meeting" in Cabo gets funded out of this slush fund.

Will it reduce the incidents of planes hitting drones!! As we are yet to have an incident I guess no is the answer.

My 2c, actually 1.75c .25 is the government levied internet user tax for forum contributions... (BIG PICTURE).

I think a lot of people are missing the point here, registration with the Government is not only a power grab, but as with most power grabs, it involves money....

Do you honestly think the FAA is going to allow you to register for free?

So the recent fox news report stated an estimated 700 000 drones to be sold this xmas, OK so lets be relatively conservative here and double it.. 1.4Million drones in service. What is going to be a reasonable fee for registration, the drone costs $1000.00 so 50 bucks should do it right.

1.4million x 50 = 70 mil conservatively, and it will be a user fee or not a tax, this will allow the illustrious FAA to determine where they want to spend it without congressional oversight. I bet more than one FAA "management meeting" in Cabo gets funded out of this slush fund.

Will it reduce the incidents of planes hitting drones!! As we are yet to have an incident I guess no is the answer.

My 2c, actually 1.75c .25 is the government levied internet user tax for forum contributions... (BIG PICTURE).

Just think of how much money the government would stand to rake in if, after they got all of us drone owners to register and pay for the privilege, they then went after gun owners? Once you open the door, there's no closing it, IMHO.

Just think of how much money the government would stand to rake in if, after they got all of us drone owners to register and pay for the privilege, they then went after gun owners? Once you open the door, there's no closing it, IMHO.

IMHO that door is wide open and the horse has left the building....

Reactions: Grant0605
Those who have AMA have been "registered" for a long time and we "used to" have to get an FCC license to fly our RC aircraft. It's no big deal and it's less than $20 for the whole process.

There is a HUGE difference between 2nd amendment rights and flying an RC aircraft. Operating in National Air Space along side manned aircraft deserves some regulation/registration/certification.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I love how some people think this is a profit making scheme for the US gov't (like they could ever be that efficient). I also love how some people think we (Americans) get taxed left, right and center which compared to the rest of the world is simply BS.

As for registration, like all things that can be dangerous, misused, harmful, etc. there needs to be a certain amount of regulation. Regulation to keep people from killing each other. Regulation to help guide those people not quite bright enough to figure it out on their own.

This is why we have traffic lights and license plates. This way we can all share the road without smashing into each other. And if we do, we can be accountable. And this is why your lawnmower has labels on it saying "Don't stick your hand in the spinny bit!". Because some people really need to be told.

Same applies for drones. It's really simple. We need to share the roads in the sky. Those roads are used by things far more important than our dopey little drones. Like or not, you don't get to own the sky much like much like you don't get to own the road. You need to SHARE IT which is why we need some rules and some accountability.

And no matter what, some people just can't figure out how to use drones safely. We've had many people on this site with that problem. Those people need to be corrected or stopped. They need to be traceable. We need accountability. Registration is accountability. You want to have a drone? Be accountable for it. Simple.

And please, it's not some long drawn conspiracy for the gov't to take your ______ away. This argument is soooo played out. I'm still waiting for the gov't to put their evil plan of confiscating everything in to action. What are they waiting for?

Well said Ian.:)

Ianwood, no disrespect meant sir, but ......

I love how some people think this is a profit making scheme for the US gov't (like they could ever be that efficient). I also love how some people think we (Americans) get taxed left, right and center which compared to the rest of the world is simply BS.

Sweden, Belgium and Aruba are the same or Juuuust slightly higher tax rates. The rest of the world ....lower. Source.....
List of countries by tax rates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Big government bureaucracy demands big revenues to keep it going. What's our current debt level? Isn't it like 18 freaking trillion and growing exponentially? The government is definitely NOT that efficient...that's EXACTLY why the hog needs ever increasing bigger $$$ meals.

As for registration, like all things that can be dangerous, misused, harmful, etc. there needs to be a certain amount of regulation. Regulation to keep people from killing each other. Regulation to help guide those people not quite bright enough to figure it out on their own.

This is why we have traffic lights and license plates. This way we can all share the road without smashing into each other. And if we do, we can be accountable. And this is why your lawnmower has labels on it saying "Don't stick your hand in the spinny bit!". Because some people really need to be told.

I will agree that government coddling, forcing political correctness on us all and taking from earners and giving to non producers has to a large extent negated natural selection. We agree on that. ;)

Same applies for drones. It's really simple. We need to share the roads in the sky. Those roads are used by things far more important than our dopey little drones. Like or not, you don't get to own the sky much like much like you don't get to own the road. You need to SHARE IT which is why we need some rules and some accountability.

Yeah, kinda....
Aren't rules mostly knee jerk responses to previous failures in governing.
Don't rules become necessary only when people can't control themselves? Why does our society have so many arrogant dumb asses and ignorant morons is the question to ask.
This could be FAR better dealt with by encouraging strong family units where strong parenting teaches right from wrong. And by a fair system of Justice where money can't buy it. Again, it is largely the Federal government which has torn the family unit apart and led to the vast majority of these irresponsible and above the law morons. I give you the Welfare System of entitlements and rich privilege. Both breed social irresponsibility. Also, lookup recent Saudi shenanigans and what they get away with. The root of the problem starts with the Federal Government. Just go back far enough. We have billions of laws already. WHY then do we STILL have all these problems???

And no matter what, some people just can't figure out how to use drones safely. We've had many people on this site with that problem. Those people need to be corrected or stopped. They need to be traceable. We need accountability. Registration is accountability. You want to have a drone? Be accountable for it. Simple.

Agreed. But consider that a bad person does not need a drone to do bad things. They drive cars and drink and can wreak havoc on society in a million other ways. We're just focused on drones here. Small part of the problem.

And please, it's not some long drawn conspiracy for the gov't to take your ______ away. This argument is soooo played out. I'm still waiting for the gov't to put their evil plan of confiscating everything in to action. What are they waiting for?

I can answer that easily.....the same reason they waited to make gay marriage legal and Socialized medicine in the US into law. Timing. I'm not passing judgement, just stating fact. And times they ARE a changing. When the time is right history will repeat.
Remember this in the years ahead.

Also, please remember that you and I have opinions which do not necessarily make either of us right (or wrong). Hopefully you won't squash others opinions.

I may be disliked by many...that's ok....I think I make reasonable and valid points.
With all due respect.....and hoping I don't get da boot....:eek:

Peas

Last edited:
Regulation to keep people from killing each other.
?
Is why we have Mod's.
angry-ostrich-o.gif

Yep...too bad we must have all those laws, rules and regulations and mods.
Can you just imagine if people were self controlled and we didn't need all that?

Ugh...I'm talking like a progressive now.
:)

I'll register but nothing can be enforced unless the UAV crashes. Registration numbers on the vehicle will be able to be seen at 400' or above and passing aircraft will not be able to see them either. The only way that true monitoring can be accomplished would be to require a type of transponder to be installed in each vehicle.

Sorry, I see this as more Gov't intrusion. Just like warrant less wire taps or bulk phone call/e-mail collection by big brother. Does anybody really think someone who has criminal intentions or wants to cause trouble is going to register their drone? Sounds like the mass shooters who typically do it in "gun free zones" so nobody can defend themselves. Do you think they care they are breaking multiple laws? Don't think so.

Here's a different perspective. I respectfully disagree with you. Not sure how old you are, bit if old enough to clearly remember life on September 10, 2001, please just take a moment to reflect on what life was like that day. Then take a few moments to look at just how much of your privacy rights, and money has been stolen from you all in the name of "security". Our country is going to sh!t and we are just letting it happen. It's a toy for Christ sake.

Here's a different perspective. I respectfully disagree with you. Not sure how old you are, bit if old enough to clearly remember life on September 10, 2001, please just take a moment to reflect on what life was like that day. Then take a few moments to look at just how much of your privacy rights, and money has been stolen from you all in the name of "security". Our country is going to sh!t and we are just letting it happen. It's a toy for Christ sake.

So maybe you should list those privacy rights and money stolen, I am not seeing it. Life before and after 9/11/2001 are only different at the boarding gate of the airlines and I prefer not to spend much time there, I don't see much different from here.

I am happy to put a set of numbers on my bird and don't expect any interaction with the FAA, or the FBI or the CIA or the NSA or any other 3 letter acronym for the "MAN".

LMFAO I almost spit my coffee out when I saw this! Everyone in Starbucks is looking at my because I'm literally laughing out loud!

So my co-worker is trying to get me to go to the main "candy street" in our local town and terrorize all the trick-or-treaters. I am not thinking it would be prudent, though I would like to. Kind of reminded me of the N# posted by @dirkclod

lol

Reactions: ObiDon

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj