Who wants a New Olympus Micro 4/3 Camera equipped Vision+???

Reaction score
Looks like DJI's next drone (XSIX) is going to be a 6 rotor copter equipped with a Olympus Micro 4/3 camera with possible 10X optical zoom. Reports on pricing put the upcoming copter somewhere between the current Phantom 2 Vision+ and the InSpire 1. Now,,, who among you would prefer this combination over the Inspire 1 and its 4k video capability?? I'm so glad I didn't pop the cash for a Inspire when I may be able to put the image capture capability of my OMD E-M1 in the air very soon!!

Olympus "Air" lens camera... (coincidence Olympus named it the "Air?")
http://petapixel.com/2015/02/05/olympus ... ew-screen/

New DJI (XSIX Copter Rumor)
http://dronereg.co.uk/could-this-be-the ... -from-dji/

DJI joins Micro 4/3 photography group with Olympus & Panasonic.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/908320 ... s-standard

Olympus "Air" details...
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/20 ... mera-drone

More news about DJI joining Olympus & Panasonic in support of the Micro 4/3 image format...
http://www.cnet.com/news/drone-maker-dj ... otography/

Re: Who wants a New Olympus Micro 4/3 Camera equipped Vision

I DO!!!
It baffles me why all these cameras have ultrawide fisheye leneses. I HATE fisheye. And the wider the angle the lower the magnification. With regs forcing people to fly higher you need a longer lens.
I really like the micro 4/3 format - great for stills and video.

I would love this. But - I also quite like the wide angle fish eye lens. I will happily fly both :)

Interesting but I'd be surprised to see this flying soon.
Yes, there is real confirmation that DJI is serious about developing a 4/3 camera but nothing to indicate they are anywhere near having one. Everything else here sounds like speculation and a wish list.
A hex that flies for 30 mins? I'll believe that when I see it.
200fps video ??!!
10x optical zoom - it's possible but no-one else has offered anything like this and it adds a lot of complication and would probably not be as useful as some people think.
Why would DJI push something that would compete heavily with their Inspire so soon after launching it?
I suspect it's just a design concept but happy to be proved wrong.

Actually, my experience in wireless cell phone tech and the ultra secretiveness and competitiveness between companies usually means that any announcements are because real products are being developed. Samsung just announced this week the company was creating a "Drone" division for exploring this technology, (read, lots of money to be made here) and GoPro had already announced intentions of making its own drones as well. DJI looks to cement itself as the technology leader, the MFT format lends itself as a perfect "Prosumer" camera system. That kind of size and compactness doesn't exist in the DSLR systems, Sony A7 cameras probably being the smallest full frame sensor cameras on the market. DJI announcing that it is partnering up with Olympus & Panasonic is a pretty good indicator its "all in" for development of its own camera's in this format for the ultimate in aerial "out of the box" photography. No GoPro style camera can compete with the 4/3 sensor in sharpness or image quality.

Thirty minute flying time? All about battery technology and mAh. A 7500mAh battery would probably get you close to the claim under ideal conditions.

10X Optical Zoom? Well, Olympus is bundling a 14mm-42mm (28mm-84mm) lens with its "Air" which is a pretty good Zoom. Olympus may also make a specialized camera for DJI based on the "Air" with its on special lens. I use a Olympus OMD E-M1 and a 12-40 M.Zuiko F.2.8 Pro lens, which is very nice and beefy, but, a 60mm Macro by M.Zuiko is so light as to almost feel like a toy, though, its generally considered to be one of the very best Macro 1-1 lens you can buy for any format. For Olympus to design and bring to production a very high quality camera based on the "Air" that is unique for DJI's next copter is not only possible, I would say after seeing these announcements, its highly probably and in the near, rather than distant future.

As for the Desire 1 competition, the Desire would probably appeal more to a videographer for the 4k ability, maybe, DJI realized its too big and expensive for the masses of photographers? That knocking a $1000 off and adding sublime equipment from a legendary camera company would mean more profit?? I think the primary need is simply to keep innovating in this very new and competitive technology. If DJI doesn't do it, maybe SamSung will??

Regardless, I think its great fun to watch and guess and argue the "what ifs" and "why would it" of the future DJI models. Olympus has some great Micro 4/3 cameras, lens, and remote software for taking photos with iOS and Android operating systems. Won't take much for the meshing of "Olympus Share" and "DJI Vision app" to control a Micro 4/3 aerial system. I for one love the possibilities!

Wibble said:
I DO!!!
It baffles me why all these cameras have ultrawide fisheye leneses. I HATE fisheye. And the wider the angle the lower the magnification. With regs forcing people to fly higher you need a longer lens.
I really like the micro 4/3 format - great for stills and video.

Wide Angle and Fish Eye Lenses are easier to stabilize.

I also want one :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik