Who uses GEO with P3P?

Reaction score
So, I've come to the point in my business where I will probably have to use the GEO firmware sometime in the near future to get the job done. As coincidence would have it, DJI just emailed me tonight saying that GEO will be incorporated into the new general firmware and app to be released in a couple of days.

Has anyone had experience with the feature? The last post I can find was from way back in January. Does it work as advertised, or is it glitchy?

I've been hesitant to install the firmware before as I wasn't sure if it had the same functionality as the most current general firmware. Now it's out of beta, I'm interested in your thoughts of how it's worked for you in the past.

Cheers.

Give us more details on GEO.

Why is DJI mailing you?

I freakin hate all this NFZ stuff. It would be ok if it was ONLY required for RED NFZ. But the fact the yellow areas also need to be unlocked it total non sense. I've seen some places out there, where entire cities are a yellow zone.

The only areas that can be unlocked are the yellow zones.

I've been using the DJI Geo beta firmware for a little while now.

It works as advertised as far as I can tell. You just use your DJI account, and you can authorize flight within the NFZ. (not all of them, but I belive it's the yellow ones)

Depsite all the noise about Geo, it is in fact far less restrictive in practice, assuming you are willing to give a CC and claim "yes, I'm authorized to fly here".

It's the future of things for DJI, so like it or not, might as well get behind it, or change to a different UAS vendor.

Reactions: Choppa
Wont be long before using it is mandatory and pretty much my entire country is an 'enhanced warning zone'. Very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I understand something has to be done about 1000's of people buying a FPV drones, having no clue about RC, aviation or anything and then posting attempts to fly record distances over cities, flying above clouds or anywhere with no regard for safety (or privacy).

OTOH, where this is going, it wont be long before Im basically unable to fly my P3A just about anywhere without 'approval'.

Meh.

Wont be long before using it is mandatory and pretty much my entire country is an 'enhanced warning zone'. Very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I understand something has to be done about 1000's of people buying a FPV drones, having no clue about RC, aviation or anything and then posting attempts to fly record distances over cities, flying above clouds or anywhere with no regard for safety (or privacy).

OTOH, where this is going, it wont be long before Im basically unable to fly my P3A just about anywhere without 'approval'.

Meh.

I doubt that. Did you look at the map? It's pretty generous with the restrictions.

Three new "zone can not be unlocked" in my area since I signed up:
Federal Correctional Institution Tucson
United States Penitentiary Tucson
Arizona State Prison Complex Tucson

Okay, but that's realistic. Why do you need to fly over a prison?

Sir, you're gonna need a Section 333 Exemption to be able to make money on those supply runs to those friends of yours. ;)
Already applied several months ago, so I should have it by December. Getting one of the $200 online flying courses from Sporty's Pilot Shop, so passing the pilot's license exam should be a piece of cake, considering all the piloting hours I already have on the Phantom!
Not friends, potential customers...

I doubt that. Did you look at the map? It's pretty generous with the restrictions.

Like I said, pretty much my entire country is 'enhanced warning zone'. I didnt mean to say it will be one day, it already is right now. Look at the map for Belgium.

Besides, this is somewhat of a Trojan Horse. It gets introduced with perhaps reasonable restrictions and being optional and it ends up mandatory, overly restrictive and forcing you to register each and every flight. Where I live they just voted a new drone law; if you dont own a special permit, you're only allowed to fly 10m high (!) you have to stay away 50 meter from buildings and can only fly with a drone that weighs less than 1 Kg. With a license its not that much better (50m, 30m from buildings etc). Be sure that those rules will be enforced by software like 'GEO' sooner or later.

What if you are in the middle of nowhere or don't have a data plan on your device?
Do you still get GEO info?
How do you unlock without a internet connection?

That's what the map is for. A user may unlock before flight on a computer.

Like I said, pretty much my entire country is 'enhanced warning zone'. I didnt mean to say it will be one day, it already is right now. Look at the map for Belgium.

Besides, this is somewhat of a Trojan Horse. It gets introduced with perhaps reasonable restrictions and being optional and it ends up mandatory, overly restrictive and forcing you to register each and every flight. Where I live they just voted a new drone law; if you dont own a special permit, you're only allowed to fly 10m high (!) you have to stay away 50 meter from buildings and can only fly with a drone that weighs less than 1 Kg. With a license its not that much better (50m, 30m from buildings etc). Be sure that those rules will be enforced by software like 'GEO' sooner or later.

I only looked at the US. I'm not familiar with drone laws in other countries. Those restrictions seem pretty ridiculous though.

what is the difference between a green warning zone and a green enhanced warning zone ?

Does a warning pop up on display if you try to take off ? Do you have to get authorisation before flying in a green area ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl