Who Read the User Manual Before 1st Flight?

Reaction score
Just curious, there seems to be lots of issues discussed in this forum whose answers are clearly addressed in the User Manual. Who on this forum actually carefully read the manual before their first Phantom Vision+ flight? Know I read it at least 10 times before my Phantom even arrived, (it took 3 weeks after ordering) having downloaded the pdf version from DJI web site. Still have to refer to it often. Maybe that's because I'm an old man with failing memory, huh?

Haven't got my pv2+ yet, might hold off till xmas to see what they release then but I got my pv2 3 months ago and even before I got It I had, like yourself, read the manual about 10 times and watched every single dji video at least 5 times each before I got my bird and its something I'd urge everyone to do, even if there is someone thinking of getting their + for the first time I'd urge them to watch all the original pv2 youtube instructionals because 99% are going to relate to the +. I'm a geek when it comes to the latest technology and at 35 wouldnt consider myself an old man yet (I'll hopefully be saying the same in another 35 years :) ) But as for ready to fly out of the box, I'd warn people to school themselves up first and take it easy for the first month if they have no flying experiences.

Birdman said:
Just curious, there seems to be lots of issues discussed in this forum whose answers are clearly addressed in the User Manual. Who on this forum actually carefully read the manual before their first Phantom Vision+ flight? Know I read it at least 10 times before my Phantom even arrived, (it took 3 weeks after ordering) having downloaded the pdf version from DJI web site. Still have to refer to it often. Maybe that's because I'm an old man with failing memory, huh?

I read the manual at least 6 times, front to back, before my Vision+ even arrived. I watched every video I could find so as to be as familiar as possible with the aircraft.

98% of people are genreally bat s*t crazy .... when "shiny" new toyz show up .... last thing most will do is educate themselves ... I love it, ... as makes for some cool flyaway and crash videos :lol:

In fairness there are a few regular posters who you can tell didnt read the manual until after their 5th set of props, but have to agree that they have given me great popcorn moments while watching their their skillful videos :)
Sometimes I wonder how they managed to hit the only tree in sight for miles, thats skill :)

I read the manual. The manual sucked. So I read it again. It still sucked but some things sunk in. Still had to go out and research a few things before I got it going with the compass cal, firmware upgrade, etc.

The manual is not a teaching manual - more of a reference. As such, it doesn't tell you what you want to know succinctly. As a reference, I like it - I use it all the time.

I still ran into a tree... but to be fair, it was after six months of flying and there were a lot of trees.

Read the manual before my first flight and had the manual next to me as a reference during my first flight. (You can actually see my manual on the ground next to me on my first video before takeoff.)

I am now reading about every flyaway on this forum and trying to prepare the best I can for my 2nd flight this weekend. :eek:

Read the manual as soon as I ordered my P2V+. I downloaded the manual and training instructions as soon as I placed my order. It took over a week to arrive, and when it did, I had read and re-read the manual and printed key sections and assembled a notebook of key parts including several images showing what the lights mean and key warnings.

I assembled the P2V+ and never opened the hard copy of the manual.

I read the manual front to back at least twice before I even received the unit. Mostly due to excitement. Grab the pdfs at DJI's website.

Ok all you manual readers here's a quick quiz. What does a solid yellow controller light mean? (This is not a current problem for me but it did stump me last week for about an hour)

denofr said:
Ok all you manual readers here's a quick quiz. What does a solid yellow controller light mean? (This is not a current problem for me but it did stump me last week for about an hour)

You are aligning your compass. If you flipped S1 by accident, the yellow comes on until you do a pirouette - it's a demanding sort of Bob Fosse. Then, just to be bitchy, it turns green and will stay there until you shut it off or do another pirouette only with the nose down.

Man o man did I read...

The manual... 5 or 6 times taking notes and searching the forums for answers to the crap that didn't make sense...
The forums... Phantom 2 and Vision... first page to last... twice

And videos...
DJI instructional videos for everything since the phantom was first released until the latest P2V+ series...
Anything else that had the words "Phantom 2/Vision/Tutorial/How to/Tips and Tricks/Tuning/Mods"

And Playboy ... just for the articles :oops:

If you're flying a $1,300 piece of equipment that FLIES, I think that's the first thing you'd want to do.

Yeah, when I got my Vision a few months ago I read the manual several times before removing the thing from the box..Ha

I read it... and read it.... and read it again.

the real question should be: who UNDERSTOOD the manual before the 1st flight?

It is by far, the worst, most difficult to understand user manual every created for a product that costs well over $1000. I expect this kind of manual on a $30 cordless vacuum cleaner, or a disposable electric toothbrush.

d86

doug86 said:
I read it... and read it.... and read it again.

the real question should be: who UNDERSTOOD the manual before the 1st flight?

It is by far, the worst, most difficult to understand user manual every created for a product that costs well over $1000. I expect this kind of manual on a $30 cordless vacuum cleaner, or a disposable electric toothbrush.

d86

I found it really easy to understand. I also researched the device a lot before the purchase so I had seen a lot of what the manual discusses on YouTube and other resources. Most of the time after reading a section of the manual I was like "so that's how that function works!". They even had pretty pictures and everything :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20