Who is the owner of our photos

Reaction score
I've doing real estate photography. I am wondering who is the owner of the pictures: the homeowner or myself. The question comes because somebody asked me for some pictures around one neighborhood I have done jobs. Can I give him the pictures , or do I have to ask the owner of the house first? how much do you charge for each isolated picture ( it is not a full slideshow)? Please, let me know your point of views.

Copyright resides with the photographer unless you've specifically agreed otherwise. Even if you pay me to photograph your wedding I still own the copyright and you can't duplicate the pictures without my permission.

Even if you pay me to photograph your wedding I still own the copyright and you can't duplicate the pictures without my permission.
Thank you very much. It helps. So, If I want to use that photo for another purpose, let's say to post it is as part of my portfolio, or use it in an Facebook ad, do I need the home owner permission?

Reactions: DroneDevotion
I usually have the home owner or real estate agent sign a contract, and in that contract it states I retain full copyright and can use the media for any purpose not involving defamation, illegal activities, etc

Depends entirely on the contract between the photographer and the client. It isn't the case that a wedding photographer automatically owns the rights to the photos; that, too, depends on the contract.

Depends entirely on the contract between the photographer and the client. It isn't the case that a wedding photographer automatically owns the rights to the photos; that, too, depends on the contract.

As I wrote, "unless you've specifically agreed otherwise."

I don't know any wedding photographers who sign away their rights, unless it's for a lot of money, because reprints are where they make a big part of their income.

Reactions: skellyrocker

True. Interestingly, just because we can see a structure doesn't mean we have the rights to publish photos of it. This could even include a house in your neighborhood. Consider this.

Landmarks You're Not Allowed To Photograph-DIY Photography

I remember be politely asked to leave from the grounds of a building in Seattle. I was photographing fall colors on trees on the building property. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong but the two security guards were armed and I only had a Canon. :)

True. Interestingly, just because we can see a structure doesn't mean we have the rights to publish photos of it. This could even include a house in your neighborhood. Consider this.

Landmarks You're Not Allowed To Photograph-DIY Photography

I remember be politely asked to leave from the grounds of a building in Seattle. I was photographing fall colors on trees on the building property. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong but the two security guards were armed and I only had a Canon. :)

Interesting that they mention the "Hollywood Sign" as a no-no landmark to shoot.

I was reading about some Hollywood film permit where they had legal permission and all the paperwork and monitors set up for some movie, but some guy who owned a restaurant wanted $10,000 if his trademarked named restaurant appeared in the shot. I think it ended with the monitor (cop) telling the guy to "Pound sand" as he had been notified the shoot was happening prior (FilmLA.com puts notices around the area on doorjambs of businesses to inform them.) and he had time to complain then. Had the film company or person not done it legally, it might have worked against them.

A property release will do wonders for you. You may own the photos, but you can't do with them as you please. The property owner has to give you the rights to use their property in publicly viewable materials except for editorials. If you can make money from it (marketing, ads, sell to another or give to another for their financial gain) you could be sued and have to pay up. Always always always get property releases if you don't want your future use of the photos/footage to come back to bite you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers