who has successfully downgraded with no problems

Reaction score
It's getting a little embarrassing when I'm bring my drone down and it jerks and stops in mid air. makes me look like a rookie pilot who doesn't know how to fly. and it scares the people around me. specifically the ones who want/hire me to take the pics and vids. plus the descent is super ubber slow. so i have to ask. Who has successfully downgraded?
any issues i should be concerned about besides dealing with DJI (warrantee issues, etc.)
and where did you get it from?
http://droneslinger.com/software.html is one site suggested. Has anyone used that with no problems?
And is Version 1.08 the one before 3.2
im not worried about prop wash, i'm a helicopter pilot, i NEVER come straight down. force of habit.

Not sure you can downgrade anymore if you updated to 3.2 (3.02) (As of today 3.04 came out btw.) Some of the things that get updated dont seem to be able to be downgraded. Maybe someone else who knows can chime in here.

Also, it went - 1.08, 2.0, 3.0, 3.2 (3.02), 3.04

I successfully downgraded from 3.0 to 2.0 the other week.

I downgraded from 3.02 2 days after i first got the P2V+ 4 weeks ago, i went down to 1.08 which by all accounts is the most stable, with no restrictions on descent speed or airspace, the airspace was never an issue for me here as it's class D, but i needed the unrestricted descent speed. I have been flying helis for over 25 years, so i am well aware of vortex ring and how to correctly descend at speed with forward airspeed.

So far i have had no problems, i find it to be much smoother than the 3.02, and also more responsive in Atti and Manual than 3.02.

Just my opinion, but i have heard similar from others on this and other forums.

I did use the Assistant from The Droneslinger, seems fine to me.

D

drmgcm69 said:
I downgraded from 3.02 2 days after i first got the P2V+ 4 weeks ago, i went down to 1.08 which by all accounts is the most stable, with no restrictions on descent speed or airspace, the airspace was never an issue for me here as it's class D, but i needed the unrestricted descent speed. I have been flying helis for over 25 years, so i am well aware of vortex ring and how to correctly descend at speed with forward airspeed.

So far i have had no problems, i find it to be much smoother than the 3.02, and also more responsive in Atti and Manual than 3.02.

D
what steps did you do. I'm thinking:
delete the current software
then upload droneslinger,
then plug in the phantom with the tx on? or plug in the tx (is there a downgrade for the tx to) and then plug in the phantom with the tx turned on. please let me know. i agree it was way more stable before 3.02.
do i have to downgrade the app to?

neoneo said:
drmgcm69 said:

D
what steps did you do. I'm thinking:
delete the current software
then upload droneslinger,
then plug in the phantom with the tx on? or plug in the tx (is there a downgrade for the tx to) and then plug in the phantom with the tx turned on. please let me know. i agree it was way more stable before 3.02.
do i have to downgrade the app to?

PM sent

D

drmgcm69 said:
neoneo said:
pm on this site is bananas lol. i hope you got my reply

yeh man, replied.
you the man drmgcm69! it seems to work great. i can see the battery power on the drone and wifi and the tilt looks good Thanks for the info

I downgraded from 3.2 to 1.08 tonight on P2, and now I've lost all X1 input from the transmitter, which used to control the H3-2d gimbal. I've tried recalibrating but no joy.

neoneo said:
I'm sorry to hear that. but i gotta ask. RTH can handle the faster descent right? or is that what people were complaining about it falling out of the sky?

As for the RTH, well personally i take over the descent myself when it is about 60ft away from me, instead of letting it land itself, so i have not tried letting it do the descent all by itself. It's a personal thing i guess, i want to be in control of the forward speed and descent speed, then i know i am less likely if never to hit vortex ring.

D

drmgcm69 said:
neoneo said:
I'm sorry to hear that. but i gotta ask. RTH can handle the faster descent right? or is that what people were complaining about it falling out of the sky?

As for the RTH, well personally i take over the descent myself when it is about 60ft away from me, instead of letting it land itself, so i have not tried letting it do the descent all by itself. It's a personal thing i guess, i want to be in control of the forward speed and descent speed, then i know i am less likely if never to hit vortex ring.

D
I have to agree with that. I always take back over when im within 100 or so feet of the drone. I think ive only let it land rth once. My height is always off by 10 feet or so so that scares me. Plus I like flying around low for some reason. I didnt go above 40 feet in the first 2 years of flying. And when I finally did it was like a whole new world had opened up for me

neoneo said:
drmgcm69 said:
neoneo said:

D
I have to agree with that. I always take back over when im within 100 or so feet of the drone. I think ive only let it land rth once. My height is always off by 10 feet or so so that scares me. Plus I like flying around low for some reason. I didnt go above 40 feet in the first 2 years of flying. And when I finally did it was like a whole new world had opened up for me

I hope it all works out nicely for you when you test fly it, it's been said many times, but i always do a calibration before every flight, regardless as to whether i have flown there before, it's piece of mind for myself, plus you never know what could of changed at that location since you last flew there. :D

D

drmgcm69 said:
I hope it all works out nicely for you when you test fly it, it's been said many times, but i always do a calibration before every flight, regardless as to whether i have flown there before, it's piece of mind for myself, plus you never know what could of changed at that location since you last flew there. :D

D
yes i find myself doing that to. not if i fly in the same location 2 batteries in a row but every time i go somewhere new. the last range test i did gave me 5,855 feet before rth was activated. 15 seconds into rth it lost connection again, turned back around (away from me), rth was reactivated and it proceeded forward (away from me). that was a big o sh@t moment. it kinda freaked me out lol. i tried to take control using S1 and thought it didn't' give me control, it turned back around and headed home. crazy cause i got the whole thing on video. don't know what good it'll do. i posted about it and got no relative response.
either way, i see no shame in compass calibrations. people see me do that and they shake their head thinking "wow this guy knows his stuff/and/that thing must cost a fortune" lol. they think I'm doing a flight check. ;)

drmgcm69 said:

D

Do I have any special steps when downgrade from 3.02 to 1.08? I have also the Vision+.
I do not want to scrap the Vision + :roll:
Thx

i just deleted the old version, downloaded the new, then plugged in the drone to my mac with the tx on. after update (actually a downgrade) i calibrated. i'm going to fly now. today's day 3 of rain around here but i got a break so I'm gonna fly now

neoneo said:
drmgcm69 said:

D
yes i find myself doing that to. not if i fly in the same location 2 batteries in a row but every time i go somewhere new. the last range test i did gave me 5,855 feet before rth was activated. 15 seconds into rth it lost connection again, turned back around (away from me), rth was reactivated and it proceeded forward (away from me). that was a big o sh@t moment. it kinda freaked me out lol. i tried to take control using S1 and thought it didn't' give me control, it turned back around and headed home. crazy cause i got the whole thing on video. don't know what good it'll do. i posted about it and got no relative response.
either way, i see no shame in compass calibrations. people see me do that and they shake their head thinking "wow this guy knows his stuff/and/that thing must cost a fortune" lol. they think I'm doing a flight check. ;)

One reason I never do much compass calibration is because of the Mickey Mouse switches on the remote they are prone to failing and doing a compass cal every flight increases the chances of that happening by a huge amount. I too have have had some butt clenching moments when I've switched to homelock and pulled back on the stick only to find it heads off in the wrong direction so I switch to courselock and it heads in the same wrong direction, then I switch back to homelock and it behaves as it should and comes back towards me I suspect my S2 switch is on its way out already and its not always doing what I think its doing so maybe you're S1 switch is iffy and when you think you switch to RTH its actually only going to ATTI so will blow away with the wind? I've started switching mine to ATTI briefly after ascending so that it shows me which direction the wind is blowing aloft, so if any unexpected behaviour happens I will know which way its going to head off if its being caused by the wind. :)

I have been running with 1.08 since three flights in on my plus. I too take over before it comes down in RTH, which I have only done a few times, which I initiated as a test. Someone in another thread has faulted me for downgrading saying 1.08 was not designed for the plus and could cause more harm than good. I politely disagreed.

EDIT: I have at least 20 flawless flights with 1.08

Madwak said:
neoneo said:
. I too have have had some butt clenching moments when I've switched to homelock and pulled back on the stick only to find it heads off in the wrong direction so I switch to courselock and it heads in the same wrong direction, then I switch back to homelock and it behaves as it should and comes back towards me I suspect my S2 switch is on its way out already and its not always doing what I think its doing so maybe you're S1 switch is iffy and when you think you switch to RTH its actually only going to ATTI so will blow away with the wind? I've started switching mine to ATTI briefly after ascending so that it shows me which direction the wind is blowing aloft, so if any unexpected behaviour happens I will know which way its going to head off if its being caused by the wind. :)

Are you aware that homelock will only work outside of a certain distance (I think 10m or something). Once inside this point, it automatically switches to courselock, which may explain why it would be headed in the same wrong direction for you. But I do agree that the switches are relatively cheap and I'll probably end up breaking one from just carrying it around with me. As far as RTH going into ATTI, I would be sure to double-check how the switches are set up in the Assistant. My S1 is set to GPS/atti/failsafe, from top to bottom, but I had to assign it to that in the assistant. Totally agree with using atti to gauge the winds aloft and determine which way to head out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31