Who flys in the winter?

Winter has some of the most spectacular views to film ...

Nigel

Do you have to make many adjustments to the camera for snow filming? I would imagine there is significantly more light

wow...

Do you have to make many adjustments to the camera for snow filming? I would imagine there is significantly more light

Not so far but real winter is still to come at my place ... and this is first year I have the P3S .... all my previous winters videos are fixed wing.

I have a set of 4 filters ordered ready.

Nigel

This is not winter ..... but just to compliment guys earlier sunset shot .... some brilliant shots can be made at that time ...

Late at night in high latitude returning home after a cruise on the river ...

Imagine the same with winters sheen on ... ice sparkling and air crisp and clean ...

Nigel

I am also new to this site. I have a phantom 3 standard under the Christmas tree. My wife says I can't have it until Christmas day. Normally it would be driving me crazy not to be able to take it out and fly it. I also live in South Dakota and has been terribly cold the past week and no end in sight of the subzero windchill. I guess I'll just have to read the owners manual again and read the phantom blogs about everybody else's experience. I have learned a lot by reading everyone's comments. Hopefully I won't make too many mistakes by the time I'm able finally get my phantom into the air.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Luckily I don't have the winter problems that most of you guys have. I live in one of the hottest places in South Africa, a small town called Phalaborwa. Our winter day temperatures are normally around 25C. It is summer here now and my problem is waiting for a day that is cool enough to fly. Today again we are aiming for a high of 42C. Max operating temp for the P3S is 40C. Lets see how it goes this evening.

Reactions: Jessepinkman
Operating temps ..... I know some will call me out for it - but given that many DJi and other drones are flown in Arabian Gulf areas with temps out there on the flats well over the 45C ... I would not be worried about flying it at such temps. The only concern would be dust and humidity. Those two factors are probably the worst than temp. Basically if you can stand out there to fly it and your display android / IOS works ok - then I don't see any problem.

Its same as those afraid to fly in winter because the book says 0C ..... plenty people flying well below that ...

Nigel

I am also new to this site. I have a phantom 3 standard under the Christmas tree. My wife says I can't have it until Christmas day. Normally it would be driving me crazy not to be able to take it out and fly it. I also live in South Dakota and has been terribly cold the past week and no end in sight of the subzero windchill. I guess I'll just have to read the owners manual again and read the phantom blogs about everybody else's experience. I have learned a lot by reading everyone's comments. Hopefully I won't make too many mistakes by the time I'm able finally get my phantom into the air.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
What part of South Dakota, I'm in Pierre, If you are around the area, when ever it gets warmed up I can help you get used to flying it if you like.

I fly in winter but I draw the line when its 13F with a -7 windchill plus 25mph winds its been like that for the past week, it sucks.

windy flying when cold is a no go....too much like punishment!

I can handle cold , but the wind I avoid!

fwiw
my son just sent a picture of his weather app yesterday
-37 degrees F real overnight temps--
-15 now
and no school days off for cold
Ft. Wainwright, Fairbanks AK

and i am whining at 30-40 here!

good luck and have fun flying!

Last edited:
my son just sent a picture of his weather app yesterday
-37 degrees F real overnight temps--
-15 now

Is that minus 37F .... minus 15F ?

My house in winter will drop to minus 30C at times ...

nigel

Took this the other night. Only about 50 feet up, 40 degrees in PA.
IMG_0062.JPG

Reactions: loonie01

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav