Who flys BVLOS part 2

Reaction score
mods: If you clean up the post, don't lock it. What was the point of that? I took a nap, woke up,only to find it locked. Now I can't reply.

It's a pretty serious matter and if you read through the other post you'll see some very misinformed statements. Some of which is just downright ignorant.

Remember this peeps. No matter how safe you THINK it is to fly BVLOS, when the turd hits the fan, YOU and only YOU are going to be held responsible for ALL damages occurred. Even those of you below 400 feet. Any near miss or crash between a human piloted craft and a UAV will automatically fall on the UAV pilot. Even if your in the middle of the desert @ 100 feet.

Something to think about next time your UAV is 2 miles out and you have no idea of what's around you.

I predict the VLOS rule will be relaxed when comsumer UAVs start having transponder and other collision avoidance hardware -- same tech currently being tested in manned AC, on the priority list to be required equipment in ALL manned AC.

And they will pretty soon.

I predict the VLOS rule will be relaxed when comsumer UAVs start having transponder and other collision avoidance hardware -- same tech currently being tested in manned AC, on the priority list to be required equipment in ALL manned AC.

And they will pretty soon.

Yes I agree. It will come. Soon?,.... not soon enough.

The tech is just not there yet. Yes people are testing, but it's still a ways off. Especially on a consumer level.

So until then, keep your hands on the steering wheel, because we still haven't mastered autonomous vehicles.

Yes I agree. It will come. Soon?,.... not soon enough.

The tech is just not there yet. Yes people are testing, but it's still a ways off. Especially on a consumer level.

So until then, keep your hands on the steering wheel, because we still haven't mastered autonomous vehicles.
I think it's closer than might appear. The main problems they're having now have more to do with closing speeds and ATC integration than simple collision avoidance out in the uncontrolled airspace -- where we fly.

A simple location transmitter (sending out and ID plus GPS location) are already well past prototypes.

The problem is mostly standards (and in the case of the Big Boys, like I said dealing effectively with 400mph closing speeds and ATC integration). Collision avoidance for small UAVs is just not a priotiy -- another reason it's coming slowly.

However, the tech is getting done, is not that hi-tech (for this purpose -- sUAVs), and just awaits the FAA putting some priority on it and developing the data and protocol standards.

Once that's in place, it's a technically trivial matter to have every aircraft in the sky know the location, course, and speed of any AC within range (which, for a consumer UAV is several miles). With this information, like a collision avoidance system on the biggies, the AC itself can take temporary control and change course/altitude to avoid the collision.

If I had to guess, we'll see this setting in 2-4 years, and quickly after that every UAV will have the tech. Cost in this case is trivial it's already transmitting the relevant information. It just needs to do it in a way (standards) that everyone follows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan