Who else is getting sick of being a celebrity?

Perhaps if I were flying a Phantom 4 with obstacle avoidance.
I would hand away the controls.
Too bad these can't be programmed to avoid the ground, at high speed. Ha

RedHotPoker

Obviously you have to assess the person you are talking to. And I usually fly it up to at least 200' and I warn them to let go if I need to take the RC back.

Each situation is different and you need to go with your gut. Most people who ask to fly it, I don't because I don't think they respect it because they asked. Many that don't ask, I offer because I feel they see the risk. Many of those turn me down because they are afraid to crash it. I have only had one kid turn me down but her mother took me up on it. The girl took me up on the second offer after her mother had flown.

Reason and common sense are powerful tools.

I have allowed one good friend to fly it in his front yard. As you said, while it was already in the air.
He surprised me when he turned it around and flew it back towards us. When he got it near a tree, I calmly asked for the RC back. ;-)
Anybody who wants a free drone, get in line. Haha
Otherwise, a local Hobby Shop is your new BFF.

RedHotPoker

Hah! Just noticed this discussion.

I agree. I fly in a local park with permission from the park authority. And even though I go on quiet mornings, I usually end up putting on a dog & pony show with my P3P.

However, I do concur with some the other comments that it's worth it in the long run. It's new technology that causes concern among some people. We need to be ambassadors for the technology

When people see it in action, they realize that it's essentially an action camera on a "toy helicopter", and it takes great pictures!

Last edited:
Reactions: SGs
My favorite question, from the peanut gallery, "Can I try it?"

Why yes, of course. I have had it for a year already, so I'm quite sick of it by now. Ha
Then I hand them a Hobby Shop business card. ;-)

RedHotPoker
And I hope you have your name on it for bird dog fee's:cool:

Can't seem to get a peaceful flight any where. People coming up wanting to ruin my flights with all these questions. I think DJI need to start paying me in commission. I've promoted there product very well! Even taking off out in the woods I get deers and raccoons coming up to me with questions. At first I didn't mind but it's becoming to excessive! Ha
July 4th, 2015, I was a vendor at the local July 4th outdoor event and was flying my P3P and a lot of people walked up to me asking me questions. While looking skyward while flying my drone, I kept getting repeated questions from a guy who I didn't look at because I was being conscientious about my drone, so he stopped talking to me because I told him I had to keep track of the drone and to stop bothering me. I brought the drone down only to find out I had been rude to four police officers who were simply interested in what I was doing... talk about feeling like a heel... so I took their questions and apologized for being rude... they couldn't have been nicer and no, the police department didn't need any drones of police work... my always looking for business!

The only question I ever find remotely rude is the how much does it cost question. Maybe because I have a hard time saying a grand to a total stranger for a toy I'm using. But yeah, I have yet to have a real negative experience. Most of the people are just interested, curious and like others have said I think if we take the time to show them what this hobby is really about, we would have done ourselves a service.

Can't seem to get a peaceful flight any where. People coming up wanting to ruin my flights with all these questions. I think DJI need to start paying me in commission. I've promoted there product very well! Even taking off out in the woods I get deers and raccoons coming up to me with questions. At first I didn't mind but it's becoming to excessive! Ha

I had a squirl bring me nuts and beer but I had to decline because I don't drink and drone.

And I hope you have your name on it for bird dog fee's:cool:
Bird dog? We use trained Lions up here. But they're actually very friendly... Haha oh here's the friendliest one now...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dr.Chas-THC

Unless it's unavoidable, the best solution is to not be so obviously in control of the drone in the first place. Fly from somewhere more discretely, where you are out of public view, at least during takeoff and landing. By doing otherwise, you are inviting questions, and possible hostility, and harassment, and also being told to land it.

Reactions: gppms
Three SpYders + One. ;-)
View attachment 56133 If you think that you get a lot of the same old same, from innocent bystanders when droning, try going for an innocuous rYde on a Can Am SpYder RS-S. Ha
Especially after a visit to the car wash n wax... ;-) I am ashamed how dirty my bike was here.

I am also fortunate in belonging to our local RC heli flying club... www.ERCHA.ca. So we have a place we can call home, where nobody can question our reasoning or sanity. Ha
Reminder, this years first ERCHA Fun Fly for 2016 is coming up. Hope you can partake in the festivities.
Check the website for the date, coming fast in just two weeks.
Being a member of www.MAAC.ca provides us with $7.5M liability insurance. Just in case. ;-)

RedHotPoker
Look at those Monza's! Wow! My brother had the V8 version in a notchback and we both had the Olds Starfire GT version. Haven't seen one in years!

I have a T-shirt that has the answers to the questions on the back. :) I enjoy educating people on UAV's when they ask. :)

Reactions: RedHotPoker
IMO the attention and questions can get a bit annoying sometimes, particularly for me as I'm not really a 'people person'. But I try and remind myself that I'm representing all drone users when I'm out flying the P3, so I try and always give a smile and a polite response when people show an interest (providing they're being friendly, of course).

I've only had one woman who was a bit curt with me about why I was filming (over the sea), so I was curt back to her without being overly rude.

Re. the comments about giving the controls to strangers, there's absolutely no way I'd do that. If anything unexpected happened, it would just be way too awkward. Even when I let friends fly it, my heart rate doubles until they hand the controls back to me :)

Look at those Monza's! Wow! My brother had the V8 version in a notchback and we both had the Olds Starfire GT version. Haven't seen one in years!

I have a T-shirt that has the answers to the questions on the back. :) I enjoy educating people on UAV's when they ask. :)
Those three friends are often noisily cruising the main drags on warm dry nights. You don't see street legal dragsters like those very often. All three had slicks, above dash tach., roll bars, stick shifters and plenty of power.
I don't mind when people ask polite responsible questions, about my SpYder RS-S or my drone. If they were drone sensitive, I will likely pack up and move. So far, only friendly banter. The name of the game is diffuse an altercation.

RedHotPoker

Ask away! I love it when people approach me while I'm flying. At first I was concerned about all the negative opinions about quadcopters, but have had nothing but positive interactions with everyone so far. Mostly older couples who will just sit and watch me whiz around, and even thank me for letting them watch afterwards!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

LOL...I was flying the other day....standing there with controller in hand....eyes to the sky....and a guy pulls up, stands next to me (you can hear the drone off in the distance) and then proceeds to ask for directions to Publix

Did you Tell him to follow the drone? Hahaha
Because you were flying over there right now... ;-)

RedHotPoker

On the back of my t-shirt there is the DJI logo and an outline of the quad. Under that it states:

1. It's a Quadcopter
2. Very Expensive
3. On the Internet
4. No

Maybe this is too subtle because some people can't figure out the questions! It's more for laughs. I still answer questions. So far I have not had anyone give me a hard time.

I have handed the controls to quite a few people (obviously while its already off the ground). Kids take about 10 seconds to figure out the controls. Parents take quite a bit longer :) A minute or two behind the sticks will make a hell of a positive memory and impression on them.

Would I let them take off or land? Certainly not. But as long as its in open air away from things, where is the harm? Its not easy to crash these things you know.

Really???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers