Who else is getting sick of being a celebrity?

Reaction score
Can't seem to get a peaceful flight any where. People coming up wanting to ruin my flights with all these questions. I think DJI need to start paying me in commission. I've promoted there product very well! Even taking off out in the woods I get deers and raccoons coming up to me with questions. At first I didn't mind but it's becoming to excessive! Ha

Though they can sometimes be a distraction I kind of like it when people come up & inquire.

Can't seem to get a peaceful flight any where. People coming up wanting to ruin my flights with all these questions. I think DJI need to start paying me in commission. I've promoted there product very well! Even taking off out in the woods I get deers and raccoons coming up to me with questions. At first I didn't mind but it's becoming to excessive! Ha

Unfortunately there are idiots out there giving UAV fliers bad publicity because of stupidity
so it up to us as a collective to be as informative as possible, I always show anybody that has questions so they realize it's not a big brother spy invading their privacy. The news always portrays drones as such a negative (better ratings I guess), so I feel it's our duty to combat that the best we can with knowledge I think it's the only way we will be able to keep our hobby

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Most of my onlookers have been fairly patient and don't bother me much. For those that insist on rattling off question after question, I ask them to hold their questions a bit till I either, (1) get the Phantom back a little closer to me, or (2) let me land the thing and they can ask all the questions they want. After answering their questions, especially about the cost, they understand why I wanted to hold the questions until I landed. Some hang around until I take off again and peek at the screen to see what 'it' sees, which helps dispel the myth that they are spy drones and are used to invade privacy. A little good PR goes a long way. And before they leave, they always ask where they can get one. Win-win.

All the neighborhood children have forced me to fly it from my backyard, where my yard borders a forest. If I fly it from my front yard I get mobbed.

Though they can sometimes be a distraction I kind of like it when people come up & inquire.

In the last month I have been flying other than at home over the woods and farm land around me. So other people is a new experience.
After becoming more relaxed about flying at home. The next step up is to fly at a new locations.
I consider dealing with people, watching and asking question another step up in my ability.

I have not had any negative comments. A woman yesterday joking asked "who are you spying on" and I told her
that big ship out there. Turns out I live in a real good area for a flying camera.
Some people don't have a clue what it is. Some know but have never seen one.
Only one Chinese guy ask me if that was a DJI product.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Three SpYders + One. ;-)
image.jpeg
If you think that you get a lot of the same old same, from innocent bystanders when droning, try going for an innocuous rYde on a Can Am SpYder RS-S. Ha
Especially after a visit to the car wash n wax... ;-) I am ashamed how dirty my bike was here.

I am also fortunate in belonging to our local RC heli flying club... www.ERCHA.ca. So we have a place we can call home, where nobody can question our reasoning or sanity. Ha
Reminder, this years first ERCHA Fun Fly for 2016 is coming up. Hope you can partake in the festivities.
Check the website for the date, coming fast in just two weeks.
Being a member of www.MAAC.ca provides us with $7.5M liability insurance. Just in case. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: Squirrel!
Unfortunately there are idiots out there giving UAV fliers bad publicity because of stupidity
so it up to us as a collective to be as informative as possible, I always show anybody that has questions so they realize it's not a big brother spy invading their privacy. The news always portrays drones as such a negative (better ratings I guess), so I feel it's our duty to combat that the best we can with knowledge I think it's the only way we will be able to keep our hobby

Exactly!! Well put :)

I feel that we, the people who are using these devices daily/ weekly are the best people to combat those idiots in the media giving us a bad name!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Someone had a T-Shirt that said:
Please don't disturb, Rookie Flyer

Reactions: dtviewer
I found that wearing earbuds helps, but doesn't eliminate them. Also, if you see them coming, you can be sure your back is turned when they pass (not to be rude, just to pretend you don't know they're there).

As for people up to no good with drones (almost nobody), we do have to defend the hobby/business and be kind and educate people, inform them about things like wide-angle lenses, lack of zoom, expectations of privacy in public places, etc. etc.

But most people aren't worried about that. They want to ask the same basic questions about costs and capabilities. And yes, it does get old, so it tends to test ones patience.

Kids love it though. I have not grown tired of showing them the screen and answering their questions. Not one parent (if they're around) has complained about that and most of them have thanked me for taking my time to entertain them.

Chris

It's OK. I only fly in areas of low foot traffic. For both mine and their safety.

However flying with an AR-15 strapped around your back.. You'll be free

Reactions: varangian

Get used to it. In fact you do great good for the whole hobby by answering those questions. Information vacuum is our worst enemy and they are using it against us in the form of fear mongering about lost privacy and spying (as if they had any privacy in the first place but thats another subject) and need for more regulation.

Yes, sometimes it becomes annoying. But every person you inform is one more who is not our enemy. They may not be our friend, but at least most won't be an enemy through ignorance. So for me, its a way to educate ignorant people who, in the long term, will make all our lives easier in this hobby. And I figure thats one less person likely to call the cops for no reason so its self preservation.

I recently had one actually come to my defense moments after I had answered his questions and been responsive to them! I was out flying over a lake to take some video for a website. Some kayakers who had been on the lake came up and I had a nice conversation with them about it. I even showed them some video of what I took and even offered to take their photo and email it to them. A few minutes later a guy comes up and starts yelling he is going to call the cops that I was spying on him, yadda yadda blah blah you all know the drill. One of the kayakers shut him down pretty quick. "Look Bob(name changed obviously), he's not spying any more than you are if you take your camera with you out on your boat. Leave em' alone." and explained what I was doing and why. They obviously knew him as a hothead. Had I brushed them off, the situation could have been a bit uglier. Swinging an idiot isn't as easy as swinging someone who has an open mind and simply wants to know the truth. I was on solid ground but we all know how some nuts overreact. I had already swung the 4 kayakers and they took care of the idiot. Doubt they will go out and buy a drone but at least I know they won't be voting for no fly rules.

I don't promote DJI's product specifically. I promote the HOBBY. I let the people figure out what drone they may want. I tell them what mine is how much it cost me. Why I chose it and recommend they research which one they should look at.

depending on how they approach is my attitude towards them.
some people are vey nice, they si hi and the start shooting all the questions, to those i answer honestly and happily.

but there are others who just approach and simply ask ¨how much does it fly¨, to those my answer is very simple, up to 3 hours and 100 kms...

My favorite question, from the peanut gallery, "Can I try it?"

Why yes, of course. I have had it for a year already, so I'm quite sick of it by now. Ha
Then I hand them a Hobby Shop business card. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: phxbird57
My favorite question, from the peanut gallery, "Can I try it?"

Why yes, of course. I have had it for a year already, so I'm quite sick of it by now. Ha
Then I hand them a Hobby Shop business card. ;-)

RedHotPoker

i love that too, specially when kids ask it (must of them, tell me they also have one and know how to fly it)

if your dad writes me a $1,200 check, no prob ill let you use it :)

I have handed the controls to quite a few people (obviously while its already off the ground). Kids take about 10 seconds to figure out the controls. Parents take quite a bit longer :) A minute or two behind the sticks will make a hell of a positive memory and impression on them.

Would I let them take off or land? Certainly not. But as long as its in open air away from things, where is the harm? Its not easy to crash these things you know.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj