Who can access reg list?

Reaction score
For the brave few who read through hundreds of FAA pages on behalf of the 38,000 members here, I salute you. Seriously. Thank you.

Can someone who feels pretty well versed with the current plan for registration please give me the short short version of "who will be able to access the list of UAS registrations?"

Can anyone simply perform a search for UAS flyers in their zip code...or plug in a name...?

Can anyone simply perform a search for UAS flyers in their zip code...or plug in a name...?
Anyone can search by registration number.

Reactions: Tricky
From the FAA just now...I have this email from an official FAA email handle:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data. The UAS Aircraft Registry is not publicly searchable."
Regards,
Thea Dickerman
FAA UAS Integration Office

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The UAS Aircraft Registry is not publicly searchable.
Not currently? Or, it won't ever be searchable?

See page 148 here. It's states the following:
"Additionally, as provided in the SORN, the general public will be able to search the part 48 registry database by the unique identifier. The name and address associated with that unique identifier will populate in accordance with that search."

You can see the N numbers that have been assigned to aircraft by manufacturer in your state
I believe the OP is referring to the new non-commercial registration process.

The N# registry has always been public information but supposedly the "Hobby Registration" will not.

anything said one way or the other is speculation until it actually goes live. Actually once you read through all available information about it you'll see that the FAA really doesn't know yet. One document says one thing and another contradicts that.

One document says one thing and another contradicts that.
Do you know of an FAA document that contradicts the quote I posted above?

Do you know of an FAA document that contradicts the quote I posted above?
I don't have one open at the moment but I have indeed seen something that specifically stated as such. After all the docs that have been read this week I wouldn't even venture to guess which one.

With that being said the "quote" from Thea Dickerman above says that as well and sounds fairly definitive. But who is to know if he is really in the know or just making an educated guess?

Until things go live (and probably even after that) it's just a guessing game. I think it would be in very bad taste to make the DB public access even if only via the "unique identifier". Of course anything could be compromised/hacked but I'd like it to at least not be public at all.

Check out what I just this very moment got in my email LOL

FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

From that article:
" In an email message, the FAA stated”Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”"

With that being said the "quote" from Thea Dickerman above says that as well and sounds fairly definitive. But who is to know if he is really in the know or just making an educated guess?
Just a little pro tip I've learned from working closely with the FAA -- if it's not written in an official FAA document, you should not take their written/spoken word. Many FAA employees are very out of touch with what goes on in their offices. It almost seems as if they are just there to ensure the office chairs don't float away.

Just a little pro tip I've learned from working closely with the FAA -- if it's not written in an official FAA document, you should not take their written/spoken word. Many FAA employees are very out of touch with what goes on in their offices. It almost seems as if they are just there to ensure the office chairs don't float away.
Oh I completely agree. I have a notebook of "FAA Documents" that go with me on every flight (GA not UAV) for this very reason. I also keep every FAA Fax and carry it with me just in case. It's amazing how many times I've gotten answer (A) today and answer (B) the very next day because the previous person who gave answer (A) isn't in the office today.

This is from FAA in house lawyer just now to me:

"Your question about access to the registration list was forwarded to me by a colleague. Initially the Registration system will not have a public search function. The FAA plans to incorporate a search by registration number in the future. Names and addresses are protected by the Privacy Act. The FAA will handle disclosure of such information in accordance with the December 15, 2015 Federal Register notice. (Federal Register | Privacy Act of 1974; Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, DOT/FAA-801; Aircraft Registration Records System of Records Notice). Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release to the public names and addresses. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches."

Dean Griffith

Reactions: GoodnNuff
This is from FAA in house lawyer just now to me:

"Your question about access to the registration list was forwarded to me by a colleague. Initially the Registration system will not have a public search function. The FAA plans to incorporate a search by registration number in the future. Names and addresses are protected by the Privacy Act. The FAA will handle disclosure of such information in accordance with the December 15, 2015 Federal Register notice. (Federal Register | Privacy Act of 1974; Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration, DOT/FAA-801; Aircraft Registration Records System of Records Notice). Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release to the public names and addresses. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches."

Dean Griffith
I called 202-267-6556 yesterday and was put in touch with a very nice lady at the FAA who told me the same as you have posted above, only searchable by a unique identifier (the registration number).
I asked, theoretically if I found a drone and searched by the reg number, it would show me the owner's name? She replied that at this point they were not sure how that information would be shared, there may be an intermediary (the contractor) who would put the two parties in touch.
I've a feeling we will just have to wait and see how this ends up being handled.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1