Who are you using to insure your DJI?

Reaction score
I currently have mine covered under my renters insurance. I'll turn into a commercial policy once I get my 333 later on next year. I'm curious to find out what other options are out there and what they cover(theft, breaks&crashes, death by water). I've read about square trade providing one but you have to call in, it's not on the website. Any and all information will be appreciated.

Cheers! And happy new year!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I plan to add mine to my homeowner's policy. I forgot the name of the clause, but they insure all of my professional photography gear no matter where it is. They will replace any item that is stolen, lost, or damaged, and it only costs a few dollars for every thousand dollars covered. I'm hoping I can add the Phantom to that same itemized list. I'll be calling them later this week to find out.

There are a number of threads on this... and the argument always degenerates into whether these are merely extended warranties or actual insurance. In a vast majority of the cases - there is an "out clause" for damage that is caused by pilot error (or operating the craft in a destructive way "IE crashing into a tree") - what these seem to be selling is if your crash is caused by a under warranty malfunction (IE you have a motor failure that causes a crash).

That's still something, for sure, but I think a lot of people think that these "insurance" programs cover any crash... and in most cases that doesn't appear to the the case if you read the small print.

My advice is really read the small print and think like a lawyer - what phrase could be used as an out clause? Extended warranties are fine, if you want to go that route, but even then... after a crash... you'd have to prove the product malfunctioned through normal wear and tear...

Reactions: mikesmiley
There are a number of threads on this... and the argument always degenerates into whether these are merely extended warranties or actual insurance. In a vast majority of the cases - there is an "out clause" for damage that is caused by pilot error (or operating the craft in a destructive way "IE crashing into a tree") - what these seem to be selling is if your crash is caused by a under warranty malfunction (IE you have a motor failure that causes a crash).

That's still something, for sure, but I think a lot of people think that these "insurance" programs cover any crash... and in most cases that doesn't appear to the the case if you read the small print.

My advice is really read the small print and think like a lawyer - what phrase could be used as an out clause? Extended warranties are fine, if you want to go that route, but even then... after a crash... you'd have to prove the product malfunctioned through normal wear and tear...
Exactly, most are just extended warranties and only cover damage or theft of items "in the home". I had to work with the insurance company to figure out the correct type of insurance I needed.

I just found the name of it. It's referred to as an "all-risk floater policy". It requires an itemized list and anything on that list is covered if it's dropped, lost, or damaged in any way, anywhere. A car could run over it and it would be covered. There are only certain instances where it would not be covered, such as acts of war, and those are explicitly listed in the policy. I currently have over $10k in photography gear covered under this type of policy and will be adding the drone.

This explains it all pretty well:
Camera and Equipment Insurance

Last edited:
For the very best insurance policy, I trust in my left and right thumbs.
Crashing is part of learning to be safely flying, & if you can't afford to crash, then you need a different hobby.
Frivolous law suits cause all of our insurance premiums to go way up.
So I've canceled mine, now only have insurance on the SpYder RS-S.
Anyways, I don't smoke, drink, gamble or mess around with loose trouble. So life is pretty much turmoil free. My Knuckles are raw.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Ken Hanks
I don't think anyone is saying to use insurance as an excuse to be careless...at least I hope not. It's not just for crashing either. Insurance is to protect against unforeseeable circumstances...theft, damage/loss at the airport, exploding battery, etc. All of these things are covered. I bet they would even cover loss/damage from a bird attacking the drone.

Yeah, I keep a 100% charged battery strapped over my heart, I don't fly airlines, drone is with me 99% of time. My bird, & best little friend Barney, a moustached parakeet, died. People never mess with me, especially while I rYde the SpYder RS-S. So I am fully covered, over protected right. & God.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: DeputyDrone
I don't think anyone is saying to use insurance as an excuse to be careless...at least I hope not. It's not just for crashing either. Insurance is to protect against unforeseeable circumstances...theft, damage/loss at the airport, exploding battery, etc. All of these things are covered. I bet they would even cover loss/damage from a bird attacking the drone.

You also must think about liability. Insurance against dame age you may cause with your drone. Bodily injury to someone else. This is what I would be most concerned about. Because you know it's coming......someone is gonna sue someone because they got hurt by someone's drone. Then comes the next step.....mandatory insurance for all drone owners.....lol

Yeah, I keep a 100% charged battery strapped over my heart, I don't fly airlines, drone is with me 99% of time. My bird, & best little friend Barney, a moustached parakeet, died. People never mess with me, especially while I rYde the SpYder RS-S. So I am fully covered, over protected right. & God.

RedHotPoker
What he just say?

You also must think about liability. Insurance against dame age you may cause with your drone. Bodily injury to someone else. This is what I would be most concerned about. Because you know it's coming......someone is gonna sue someone because they got hurt by someone's drone. Then comes the next step.....mandatory insurance for all drone owners.....lol
Being a member in good standing with MAAC, We automatically get $7.5M liability insurance. Ah, that should cover it.

RedHotPoker

What he just say?
I said, No, I don't believe in paying, to have false protection. ;-)

If the battery explodes, while on my chest, it was my time, to fly.

RedHotPoker

Insurance is such a waste of money....unless you need it of course....statistical speaking if you are better then 50 percent of the people out there you are better off without it...

Millions of Share holders can't be wrong. ;-)
If you want some real insurance, by some stock in the company. Eh? Hehe

RedHotPoker

I think registering with the faa is the best insurance because it makes drones safe and crash proof. And it makes you a better pilot. And it's only 5 dollars.

I think many of you don't realize how inexpensive all-risk floater policy is when added to an existing homeowner's policy. It only costs a few dollars for every thousand covered. For the drone alone, it's around $4/year. It's worth it in my opinion.

In any case, I'm offering information for those who are interested in insuring their drones. Now, they know what kind of policy to look for.

I'm insured with State Farm, I have a "Personal Articles Policy" that covers all my photography equipment. It's fairly inexpensive, I think it was about $55 per year. And that includes my P3A, Canon DSLR and lenses too. Put everything on there including hardshell backpack, filters, batteries etc. in case it's stolen.

Reactions: Lefty63 and AAPhoto

RedHotPoker
RHP... More like RedHot Badass!!

I'm insured with State Farm, I have a "Personal Articles Policy" that covers all my photography equipment. It's fairly inexpensive, I think it was about $55 per year. And that includes my P3A, Canon DSLR and lenses too. Put everything on there including hardshell backpack, filters, batteries etc. in case it's stolen.
I have State Farm and they will NOT cover my Phantom.

I have State Farm and they will NOT cover my Phantom.

That's weird. They didn't ask a single question when I added it to my policy with all my other photo equipment, they just put it on there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik