Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

White Balance on Raw files off.

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by HateSkate, Jun 16, 2014.

1. HateSkate

Do any of you shoot RAW files and notice how off they are and the fact that they cant be made right? They are very Yellow/Green and in Adobe raw editor the as shot white balance tint slider is all the way hard right at +150. If you choose any standard white balance profiles such as cloudy or sunny they get stupid green/yellow. The JPGs white balance are much more true. Im attaching a screenshot from both a JPG and a Raw file.

Attached Files:

2. Dirty Bird

I've never shot in raw, but that is a huge difference between JPG and RAW. I will try it next time out and see how mine performs.

3. 4wd

4wd

Maybe download latest profiles.
    It shouldn't look like that but white balance setting doesn't really affect the raw file in any case.
    It's the computer not familiar withe DJI dng format,

4. AnselA

In Adobe Raw use the white balance pipette to take a sample from the white sail.

EDIT: and don't forget to convert your image to sRGB color space, if it's for web publishing.

5. AnselA

Adobe Raw is definitely familiar with Adobe (DJI) DNG format.

6. HateSkate

I'm a professional sports photographer by trade so editing is second nature to me. What i'm trying to figure out here is if this is an issue with CS6 or my particular Vision Plus. CS6 recognizes the file and has the lens conversion available. Even with the picker it looks like crap. Again... I'm **** as hell because this is what I do but obviously straight out of the gate something is seriously wrong here.

7. wilsonpf

I'm guessing the problem is with CS6. The camera converts it fine when shooting jpg as per the example pictures you posted.

8. Jeremyconk

That happens to me also... The only default to use is "AS SHOT", then color correct from there.... All the other presets will throw the color off....

9. Jeremyconk

BTW... It did the same thing with my Phantom Vision..... AS SHOT is the only setting that will not screw up the image...

10. AnselA

Have you tried to shoot a standard gray card with FC200? Like http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?catid=28

11. 4wd

4wd

Here's a screenshot of one of mine straight from camera.
    I usually use Lightroom and do have the latest RAW profiles or whatever recently installed because it's a new-ish Windows 8 laptop.

http://s6.postimg.org/gflih3jsx/Capture.jpg

[​IMG]

12. AnselA

Tint = +150, not "straight from camera".

13. 4wd

4wd

'As shot' = straight from camera, which is on Auto White Balance.
    That file has never been opened in Adobe Raw except to do that screenshot.

If I click 'daylight' the tint changes to +10 and looks like the previous examples.

14. AnselA

Ref: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/u ... 5EC19.html

"As Shot uses the camera’s white balance settings, if they are available. Auto calculates the white balance based on the image data."

In internet there's plenty of Lightroom/WB tutorials, which may be useful.

15. HateSkate

Mine defaults at +150 on the tint too. Pull that back and it is horrendous!

16. 4wd

4wd

I don't see the problem.
    I can process the RAW files in Lightroom in the same way as Canon 5D and Canon S100 files.
    The result is rather good, I am pleased with the stills from it.
    With all three cameras they are imported as shot, and look OK but need the expected minor tweaks to a relatively flat file.
    No different treatment is required to cope with any inadequacy of the Phantom DNGs.

The RAW file isn't affected by white balance settings.
    How it is displayed is.
    The camera auto white balance does a reasonable job and it displays OK when viewed in appropriate software.

17. AnselA

I agree, exept I will get results more to my taste when I set WB myself instead of camera. The same, when I shoot with Nikon or Olympus. In RAW processing, for WB, I use pipette/picker and then fine tune by sliders if needed, using calibrated and profiled display. In difficult light I'll use X-Rite ColorChecker Passport and its software for color corrections. Working color space 16 bit Adobe RGB, exports to JPG in 8 bit sRGB.

18. srandall25

This was my understanding of the camera settings, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. I do not profess this to be right. It was just my understanding.

When the Vision+ takes an image in RAW (.DNG is Adobe's RAW format), that image is taken totally independent of any white balance camera settings. The white balance camera settings only effects how the picture is processed for the associated .JPG that is created. The RAW image itself is untouched. For every RAW image, there is associated METADATA. The METADATA contains the settings such as white balance, color, hue, saturation, etc.. that Adobe Photoshop recognizes which effects how the picture is displayed. I haven't tested it, but I believe when people are implying that the RAW image is effected by the white balance settings in the Vision app, what's really happening is that the METADATA of the RAW image is being effected by these settings. The RAW image (with Adobe RAW settings at ZERO) taken with auto white balance, should be equal to the same image taken with any other white balance setting. Does this make sense?

19. sergekouper

20. slothead

There is no white balance in raw files. White balance is established when the raw file is converted into an image (as in jpg, et al).

Tom