Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Whistling p3s

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by ldguarantee, Feb 29, 2016.

1. ldguarantee

So I've had my drone for 3 weeks now and haven't had many opportunities to fly.
    In the 3-4 times I did fly, I noticed an intermittent whistling sound coming from the aircraft while it is hovering near me.
    Not a new sound. Have always heard this.
    Is this normal??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. bunkphenomenon

Mine does that too. But not intermittent, I hear it all the time when the Phantom is within hearing distance.

3. ldguarantee

Yep, that's pretty much the way mine is behaving.

4. Dirty Bird

I have two Standards and both of them are whiney sounding. They sound completely different from my Pro, Advanced, & Vision+.

#4 Dirty Bird, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  5. buford

What do you suppose the difference is? Better motors on the Pro. adv. V2? Different airframe?

6. Melvin5520

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before, but I must say I'm also interested in whether there is a way to negate this high pitch noise. Different props? I do not notice this noise when the props are off and the motors are powered up. However, as I'm no engineer, I have no idea if the phantom's shape or design have anything to do with it - or if its a matter of the props' shape or they're physical composition. Has anyone here figured out a way to dampen this noise, or should we just accept it as "normal".

7. buford

I don't know if its motors or props or airframe, what I do know is all the phantom models have the same, so it's not a standard thing. I haven't noticed what youre talking about. I have had mine sitting on the living room floor with and without props, turned on and running due to a software problem I was having, and never heard any high pitched whinning. It may just be that we've read posts on here about everything under the sun, 99% of it the phantoms fault apparently:rolleyes:, and we just look for something to be wrong with our bird.

8. Melvin5520

... we both said the same thing. Anyway, if what you're saying is that the noise is a normal byproduct of the physical dynamics in play when operating something that flies with four propellers (or even one for that matter) I would have to assume you're probably right (what do I know, lol). I'm just wondering if there's any way to make it more quiet - not that I have any reason to complain or am looking to (operating something that basically flies itself, while filming in HD, for $500.00, is pretty amazing if you ask me).

9. buford

I guess you could put some of those fuzzy wind screens on it like on microphones, but they probably couldn't take the spinning and fly of.....LOL

10. N017RW

My P2 whistles ( or similar) and has for almost two years with no problems.

Generally speaking most of the noise is created by the props at the tips.

bunkphenomenon likes this.
  11. buford

Sounds rational to me. It seemed like some were trying to blame it on the standard, but I knew that couldn't be the case.

12. ldguarantee

Not complaining. The sound doesn't bother me. Just wanted to make sure it's normal.