While using RTH as a field expedient course lock.....

Reaction score
...I was comparing notes with the kid next door who has a Mavic. He couldn't get his bird to do more than 25mph when he overrode RTH with full throttle input. I got mine up to around 33mph. Later on I was also limited to around 25mph and I was wondering if this is distance from home point related limit.

While reviewing flight the flight list telemetry I noticed something kind of interesting. When control inputs are highlighted, RTH shows no control bar graphs until you say add throttle. Any time you add throttle the side to side input that is automatically being done by the RTH function becomes visible as a percentage value, but the graph doesn't show up. I couldn't figure out why the same 9000 foot round trip used widely varying amounts of power until I used the throttle input to show me the amount of power the bird was using to correct for a prevailing but varying crosswind. One trip the crosswind corrections were never above 7% and the next time they surged to 40% and shaved boucoup flight time off the battery. I usually do a few ATTI drifts at varying altitudes to gauge upper level wind speeds before 'heading out' but a notch between two hills on this route funnels the wind to an area from 150' to 250' up with wind speeds above and below more in line with my drift tests. Anyways it is another way to measure wind speed at altitude if you are curious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen