Which Zenmuse Gimbal For GoPro Hero 2?

Reaction score
I purchased my first quad rotor about two weeks ago and i decided to go with the Phantom 2 V2 without the gimbal because i just wanted to mount my GoPro hero 2 on the quadcopter and take some aerial shots and occasionally video the flights.Well after hanging out on here i thought to myself that it would make things more interesting to add fpv capability and a gimbal.I have looked and looked on which Zenmuse gimbal to get for my GoPro 2 and didn't find anything because everyone seems to be using a GoPro 3 and up,but i would really like to keep the one i have without upgrading to a new GoPro just to be able to use the Zenmuse gimbal.My question is,which Zenmuse gimbal can i use for my GoPro hero 2 and will it mount to my Phantom? I do apologize if this has been covered before,and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you had bought the Gimbal as a package deal with the Phantom 2, the money you would have saved over buying an H3-3D gimbal by itself would have paid for a used GoPro Hero 3 :)
the H3 part of the H3-3D gimbal name stands for Hero 3... The Hero 2 is a much different size and it won't work on those gimbals.
DJI just finished running a big promotion to for Phantom 2 V2 + H3-3D or H4-3D for $860-$900. I know the stand alone price for the Zenmuse gimbals is NOT cheap.

Yeah i know i would've saved money by buying the package deal because i looked around for a couple of days before i decided to pull the trigger. I guess i got in a hurry and couldn't wait,o well live and learn i suppose. Well i guess i'll figure out another route and thanks for the info on the gimbal.

loganboyd said:
If you had bought the Gimbal as a package deal with the Phantom 2, the money you would have saved over buying an H3-3D gimbal by itself would have paid for a used GoPro Hero 3 :)
the H3 part of the H3-3D gimbal name stands for Hero 3... The Hero 2 is a much different size and it won't work on those gimbals.
DJI just finished running a big promotion to for Phantom 2 V2 + H3-3D or H4-3D for $860-$900. I know the stand alone price for the Zenmuse gimbals is NOT cheap.

The GoPro 2 99g is the same width as the GoPro 3 74g but it's depth is much deeper which will throw the gimbal out of balance.

So i'll have to either set my Phantom 2 up with fpv without a gimbal for now,or save up for a different camera and gimbal.Thanks for the help folks.

I'll just hang onto mine for now until i figure out how far i wanna go with the add-ons.Thanks for the heads up and i agree,that would be the cheapest way to have a gimbal.

Did anyone ever manage to use their H4-3D gimbal with a Hero 2. I think the camera can be adjusted forward or back.
Alternatively a small washer can be stuck to balance it out.

Did anyone ever manage to use their H4-3D gimbal with a Hero 2. I think the camera can be adjusted forward or back.
Alternatively a small washer can be stuck to balance it out.

For one thing the Zenmuse gimbals were designed around the GoPro 3, 3+ and the 4 cameras. The GoPro 2 is to large both in depth and width to fit in the gimbals camera plate. There also may be a weight balance problem because of the depth of that camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers