Which version board do I have?

Reaction score
Has DJI sold any Phantoms with that new board? (the new upgrade board that does away with a PMU)

My Phantom was new stock and about 1 month old. How do I tell if I possibly have that new board in it already?

-Frankie

I doubt they ill include it in a standard new Phantom, as it is an upgrade for the Zenmuse gimbal.
You don't need a PMU V-2 for ordinary operation, or an aftermarket gimbal.

I did get my board in the mail yesterday. It had gotten lost by the post office for a day. I haven't decided whether to install it
now, or wait until I can get the IOSD mini, and the BT modules.

Everything will be going into a new shell, and I may redo the LED's as well.
Also, the upgrade main board is small, with a cut out area for the original receiver, so I will make a carbon fiber plate to
mount my Futaba receiver.

If I can get a handle on my depression, I will take some photos.

>>or wait until I can get the IOSD mini, and the BT modules.

WHat are those modules for?

The BT module, is for changing flight parameters with your iPhone, iPad, etc, while flying.
The IOSD mini, is so you have an on screen display of information while flying FPV.

Both are newly released by DJI, and are on their web site.

So my question is do you need the old PMU or canbus hub to connect the new BT and IOSD modules or can you connect them to the upgrade board? Also if you have a brushless gimbal from another vendor is there any reason to get the upgrade board?

Thanks

Charlie

So my question is do you need the old PMU or canbus hub to connect the new BT and IOSD modules or can you connect them to the upgrade board? Also if you have a brushless gimbal from another vendor is there any reason to get the upgrade board?

If you have a brushless gimbal from another vendor, there is no need for the upgrade board.

There is no Can-Bus connection on the upgrade board, so it seems the PMU V-2 or hub, would be a necessary item, if adding
a BT, or IOSD module.

Audaciter said:

If you have a brushless gimbal from another vendor, there is no need for the upgrade board.

There is no Can-Bus connection on the upgrade board, so it seems the PMU V-2 or hub, would be a necessary item, if adding
a BT, or IOSD module.

I hope you're right, but there doesn't seem to be any place to connect or insert an external CAN BUS connector on the Phantom upgrade board.

Steve

I hope you're right, but there doesn't seem to be any place to connect or insert an external CAN BUS connector on the Phantom upgrade board.

Ha ha... :lol: There isn't. I think you misread my statement. (There is no Can-bus connection on the upgrade board). ;)

@Audaciter

You say you haven't decided whether to install the upgrade board now, or wait until you can get the IOSD mini, and the BT modules. But, if there's no Can-Bus connection on the board, it wouldn't matter when you install it, does it? (Unless you just don't want the bother of opening it up again). And, how would someone who has the new upgrade board do it anyway? You mean they'd still have to purchase the PMU-V2? You gotta' be kidding me! My vendor just got the board in yesterday and I placed the order last night. What was the advantage? I should have purchased the PMU-V2 weeks ago instead of waiting for the upgrade board. DJI's behavior towards its customers is starting to become a tad tiresome.

@Audaciter

You say you haven't decided whether to install the upgrade board now, or wait until you can get the IOSD mini, and the BT modules. But, if there's no Can-Bus connection on the board, it wouldn't matter when you install it, does it? (Unless you just don't want the bother of opening it up again). And, how would someone who has the new upgrade board do it anyway? You mean they'd still have to purchase the PMU-V2? You gotta' be kidding me! My vendor just got the board in yesterday and I placed the order last night. What was the advantage? I should have purchased the PMU-V2 weeks ago instead of waiting for the upgrade board. DJI's behavior towards its customers is starting to become a tad tiresome.

To tell you the truth, I'm in no hurry at all to get that Zenmuse gimbal up and running. I don't feel like risking such a
high dollar item, when it seems like the DJI has the B-Team leading the way for the Phantom.

They have not posted connection diagrams on their site yet, for the BTU, and IOSD mini modules, so I can't be sure if the
PMU V-2 is needed or not.
You would think that they would have planned ahead for this, since the Can-Bus system was already in place, but then
again, this is DJI were talking about, and it doesn't make sense to install anything at this point, with all the firmware,
and software problems they are delivering us on a bi-weekly schedule.

I have my Phantom all disassembled, but It's staying that way until I feel more confident in DJI's solutions.

@Audaciter

So, exactly what is it you're hoping for? A very candid statement from DJI that yes, there was a problem together with a straightforward description of what to do to fix it ... assuming it can be done with a software fix. Or, assuming Snapdragon's post today is correct and DJI have just changed and restarted the manufacturing process of the gimbals due to all the problems people have been having, are you hoping for an offer from DJI to replace your unused gimbal with one of the retooled ones?

My new upgrade board should be shipped out today ... ordered it Friday night ... so, it should be here in a week or so ... and that means I'm going to be faced with the same decision. The Phantom is working fine right now ... except, of course, any video I shoot is totally crappy ... so,will I do the install and hope for the best, do the install and contact the dealer if a problem arises, or, like you, wait for DJI to weigh in on this? Tough one. But, I would imagine I will do the install. If I wait too long, my dealer may not want to replace it should anything go wrong.

Zircon said:
@Audaciter

So, exactly what is it you're hoping for? A very candid statement from DJI that yes, there was a problem together with a straightforward description of what to do to fix it ... assuming it can be done with a software fix. Or, assuming Snapdragon's post today is correct and DJI have just changed and restarted the manufacturing process of the gimbals due to all the problems people have been having, are you hoping for an offer from DJI to replace your unused gimbal with one of the retooled ones?

My new upgrade board should be shipped out today ... ordered it Friday night ... so, it should be here in a week or so ... and that means I'm going to be faced with the same decision. The Phantom is working fine right now ... except, of course, any video I shoot is totally crappy ... so,will I do the install and hope for the best, do the install and contact the dealer if a problem arises, or, like you, wait for DJI to weigh in on this? Tough one. But, I would imagine I will do the install. If I wait too long, my dealer may not want to replace it should anything go wrong.
Just Fedxd my phantom to ATL Hobby for Zinmuse V2 and new board install. They should get it tomorrow and I should have it back no later than Friday.

Looking forward too it.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Zircon; I'm not hoping for, or expecting DJI to offer Zenmuse/Phantom owners anything. That sort of thing isn't
likely to happen.
I have had my upgrade board for a while now, and was looking forward to putting it to use, but the day before I received
it they announced the BTU, and IOSD mini modules would be made available shortly.
Without installation diagrams, it is difficult to plan for placement inside the already cramped space of the Phantom's shell.

I had a pretty decent setup with the carbon fiber plate, and the modules recessed into slots on each side of the battery,
but the upgrade board came along, and now the other 2 modules, plus the Futaba receiver.
I need to see installation diagrams to plan for integration, and they are having issues with the newest release of
software/firmware, so I will wait.

It is a very tough choice to make, because like you said, the warranty isn't going to last forever.

Logically, it shouldn't matter using the PMU V-2 and GCU V1 modules, or the upgrade board, because non-Phantom
owners will never have the upgrade board.

From what I've been led to believe, the Zenmuse software was going to be integrated into the Phantom's Naza
Assistant software, which would make sense, since the upgrade board comes with a new LED unit, combining
the communications into 1 usb cable.

Logically, it shouldn't matter using the PMU V-2 and GCU V1 modules, or the upgrade board, because non-Phantom
owners will never have the upgrade board.

Not sure what you mean by this. ???

About the 3.16 firmware ... I've been reading the posts here in the General Discussion part of this forum about the problems folks have had with/after the install. Sounds like I have some interesting hours ahead of me. Do you think 3.17 is anywhere on the horizon. I'd wait, too, if I thought there was a software/firmware fix out there somewhere in the near future. Where the heck is DJI in all this? To repeat something I said in an earlier post ... where is Colin Guinn ? He did a great job of explaining things before. Is he still with DJI? Or, are things so screwed up, he doesn't know where or how to begin to fix it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl