Which Transmitter?

Reaction score
Need a bit of help from the people who know.

I'm still a bit of a newbie but I'm slowly starting to find my feet. I have been looking at new transmitters with the Futaba 8J catching my eye. I initially liked the idea that the stock transmitter had the joysticks spring loaded but I'm now thinking that's not such a good idea. This is probably my main reason for wanting to change, I feel it will give me a smoother more controlled flight. Added to this the fact you can program it to suit your needs makes it very appealing.

I've also seen the Turnigy 9x which seems to be a good £100 cheaper than the above. Is this a lot cheaper for a reason or is it just as capable of doing the job? I'm I likely to run into difficulties if I make the change? Will the Phantom be much harder to fly with a different transmitter? Am I being to ambitious and trying to run before I can walk? I have been flying now for around 4 months so I'm not totally green.

Questions, questions, over to you lot then...

weephillie said:
Need a bit of help from the people who know.

I'm still a bit of a newbie but I'm slowly starting to find my feet. I have been looking at new transmitters with the Futaba 8J catching my eye. I initially liked the idea that the stock transmitter had the joysticks spring loaded but I'm now thinking that's not such a good idea. This is probably my main reason for wanting to change, I feel it will give me a smoother more controlled flight. Added to this the fact you can program it to suit your needs makes it very appealing.

I've also seen the Turnigy 9x which seems to be a good £100 cheaper than the above. Is this a lot cheaper for a reason or is it just as capable of doing the job? I'm I likely to run into difficulties if I make the change? Will the Phantom be much harder to fly with a different transmitter? Am I being to ambitious and trying to run before I can walk? I have been flying now for around 4 months so I'm not totally green.

Questions, questions, over to you lot then...

Hi, I've ben setting up my 8J today, not flown it yet, probably tomorrow. Just to mention how smooth the gimbal control is ! according to the assistant my switches work fine to trigger HL/CL and the ATTI mode. I didn't program Fail Safe at a flip of a switch so far but that can be done.
I have a concern however about the throttle that seems to stay on when you release the stick. Don't know why yet. I will not fly before I know.
My 2 p.

weephillie said:
Let me know how your flight goes, I'd be very interested.
Another transmitter that I've seen is the Spektrum DX7. Is this any good?

With the Spektrum systems you may need to by an 'Orange' [brand] Rx.

Last I looked, the Spektrums' don't have SBus output(s)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr