Which to buy?

Reaction score
I can get a phantom vision 2 from amazon for 722$ I can get the new 2+ version for 1300$. I am just looking for some advice on which to buy. I have flown helicopters before, but this will be my first quadcopter. I am mostly worried about distance. Do a lot of you phantom 2 owners wish you could fly farther away or is the range of the non + version sufficient? I do plan on taking video and I know the improvements that have been made to the camera, but is it worth 600$ more. Thanks for your replies!

The basic Phantom 2 is just the quadcopter itself. There is no camera, telemetry or FPV. Without FPV, range won't be much of an issue as you are limited by how far you can see it. The Vision+ includes all of those additional features in a ready-to-fly package. You can add those features to the basic Phantom, but it will wind up costing you more than just buying the Vision+. Even if you add the features, the Vision+ includes features still not available on an upgraded Phantom 2, like camera control while in the air.

EDIT: Rereading your post I didn't realize you were asking about a Vision vs. a Vision+. The $722 price threw me off. Disregard what I said about FPV, etc.. What you need to do is go to YouTube and view video footage from a Vision vs. a Vision+. The Vision+ video is silky smooth. Vision footage often requires a barf bag. Check out the comparison below:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBUQrLe94Ms[/youtube]

I own a P2V, and I, personally, haven't needed any extra range. But others have. It really depends on the type of videography you want to do, and of what/where.
The cameras themselves are essentially the same... it's really the gimbal thats "improved" on the Plus, at least in terms of features. But, even if I had it to do all over, I wouldn't buy a Plus... because, even though it has more features, that gimbal seems to be very very fragile, which makes it not such a great selling feature, in my mind. Better to pay less for a P2V, and then get a higher quality, less fragile aftermarket gimbal... IMHO.

Thanks, I appreciate all the replies. Professor, the information on the gimbal is great! I had no idea it was that fragile. You have any info on gimbals that are not 550$? Dirty Bird, I know that price is low and if it was the normal 999$ I would buy the Vision+ for 300$ more. Amazon warehouse has great prices on like new phantoms that can be returned if there are any issues. I guess I may be leaning away from the +.

benfossrrt said:
You have any info on gimbals that are not 550$?

The RotorPixel is $389, still, I believe. The Taco Supreme, I'm pretty sure, is even less. There are even cheaper gimbals... some folks have had great success with them, some not so much. You can also print your own, in the MotorPixie DIY project... and I believe DK's latest parts list puts a completed gimbal in the $80 range, not including the actual printing (which is minimal if you have a 3D printer).

Also, if you're already trying to decide between the Vision and Vision+... you already have at least that price difference to play with for a gimbal... and come out with a better machine, IMHO.

dirkclod said:
[ The Vision+ video is silky smooth. Vision footage often requires a barf bag.] Now that was not a nice thing to say DB :lol:

Not nice but completely true and a good way to explain the difference briefly.
The Vision was an evolutionary step in the development of the Plus.
No-one who has used one would want to make the huge backwards step to the Vision if they were interested in video.

benfossrrt said:
Dirty Bird, I know that price is low and if it was the normal 999$ I would buy the Vision+ for 300$ more. Amazon warehouse has great prices on like new phantoms that can be returned if there are any issues. I guess I may be leaning away from the +.

The $722 price is for a USED Vision. They aren't new and they were returned for a reason. Just a note regarding other gimbals crash-worthiness: In a severe crash, ALL gimbals are prone to break, as are other camera models. A gimbal for these birds is by necessity a rather light & fragile assembly. Most are not as clean an assembly as is the one on the Vision+. Notice with other setups you tend to see a lot of wires dangling about.

Dirty Bird said:
The $722 price is for a USED Vision.

Ahhh. That does change things.

Dirty Bird said:
Just a note regarding other gimbals crash-worthiness: In a severe crash, ALL gimbals are prone to break, as are other camera models.

Very true... in a severe crash. The problem with a Vision+ gimbal is it is fragile enough to break in less-than-severe crashes where other gimbals would've survived. And I don't find the Pluses gimbal "clean" at all. It's always seemed clunky and not well designed. Sure, you see wires on other gimbals, but... so what? If assembled and installed correctly, they don't get in the way.

I'd suggest looking at the Phantom 2. You have a lot more flexibility in terms of what you can do with it than is the case with the Vision+, and you can upgrade things on it as desire and/or finances allow.

HarryT said:
I'd suggest looking at the Phantom 2. You have a lot more flexibility in terms of what you can do with it than is the case with the Vision+, and you can upgrade things on it as desire and/or finances allow.

Very true. Though, in this particular case, the OP mentioned he was interested in photo and video straight out of the shoot. And the Vision series is out-of-the-box RTF for that.

With a P2, if you're buying it specifically for photo and video, you're no longer talking about upgrading "as desire and/or finances allow". You kind of need to put it all together from the get go; gimbal, GoPro, FPV system... which, last I checked, is even a bit more expensive than a Vision.

As a P2V+ owner that elected to wait and not buy the Vision, I agree 100% with DB......don't buy the V. If you don't like the V+, then go somewhere else and spend way more $$$, but those Vs were returned for a reason.....a good reason!

When the V+ was released, V owners were falling over themselves trying to get their Vs returned so they could upgrade to a V+. I understand some are happy, but the vast majority if those that could return them did, and the vast majority of those that couldn't return their V were bummed!

Just wondering where you get your data, Red. As far as I know, the straight Vision is still the most popular platform in the line. But if you know something different, I'd be very interested in seeing the numbers.

We fly both the V+ and an upgraded P2 with a 3D gimbal, Futaba radio, and GoPro. The V+ is a great platform but the increased range (2400 to 3000 feet) and quality of the video from the GoPro make the upgraded Phantom our go-to flyer. If it's just a hobby, the V+ is worth the extra $$. If you plan to get into the business, get something like the P2 Pro Pack here: http://aerialmediapros.com/store/home/5 ... -pack.html

ProfessorStein said:
Just wondering where you get your data, Red. As far as I know, the straight Vision is still the most popular platform in the line. But if you know something different, I'd be very interested in seeing the numbers.
I don't have DJI sales numbers. I was basing my comment on what I read here on the PP.

If you've got some data I would be very interested to understand it!

I don't have anything against the Vision. I looked at it and made the decision to pass. When the Vision+ came out, I preordered......then watched this forum as so many recent Vision owners tried to jump ship.

If you look at the number of posts on this site, the Vision forum has 47k post and the Vision+ forum already has 37k posts and the Vision had a six month head start. That suggests either there are more Vision+ owners already after 5 months than Vision owners after 11 months, and/or the Vision+ owners are much more active!

I extrapolated from that data. If that's not representative, then my data sample extrapolation was in error.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj