Which tablet?

Reaction score
I am selling my 2012 Nexus 10 as I believe it's not suitable as a screen for my soon to arrive P3A.

Will an ipad air (not 2) be ok? Or should I go for the 2. The tablet is for flying only.

Or is there a better option?

I am selling my 2012 Nexus 10 as I believe it's not suitable as a screen for my soon to arrive P3A.

Will an ipad air (not 2) be ok? Or should I go for the 2. The tablet is for flying only.

Or is there a better option?
Please do a search. This has been discussed soooooo many times.

I was having the same question these last several days. I have been using an iPhone 6 Plus and as much as I like it as a phone, my aging eyes were having major troubles with it as a display monitor. I put the question out to this forum and ended up getting a iPad Air 2 cellular. I've got to tell you that the difference is nothing short of amazing. The performance is flawless. I'm sure it will be more than I really needed in most cases, but when and if I do, then I'm ready for it. I was concerned at first about the weight of a tablet this size, but they don't call it Air for nothing, especially if you use a harness. Definitely not the cheapest way to go, but it sure is one of the best.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: m0j0 and Cralis
What about trying the tablet FrankC put up ? Quite cheap and probably worth a try. He is talking about Ebay UK but id be very surprised if they dont sell them in the US too.

I'm in australia. But... might look. Is there a link? Sorry, new to this site. :)

Yes, iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular, as it's simply amazing, when paired with the Phantom 3 Pro. Never a worry or concern since day one.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: m0j0
I use an iPad Air...no problems at all. (Install the Inspire type bracket to stop the wobble...its a fairly heavy tablet).

Screen too big for the holder. And I'm guessing 2012 tech will cause lag in the video.

Dumb question perhaps but, does the phablet or tablet need to have a cellular connection or is it just acting as a screen / controller. At £59 the tablet suggested by Frankc is unlikely to have cellular connectivity hence my question. Logically, the remote controls the aircraft and the aircraft has GPS, compass, barometer etc so is autonomous.

Oh, and I did do a search for stuff like "best tablet for dji Go" etc without success hence my question here.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The Nvidia Shield K1 seems very nice, and cheap!
Buy the New SHIELD tablet K1 - NVIDIA SHIELD Store

Has anyone on here tried it?

GPS? Yes (With GLONASS!)
Size? Fits stock holder, I think! Height: 8.8in / 221mm Width: 5.0in / 126mm
Cheap? Yup, $199 (US, I think)
Weight? 12.6 oz / 356 g (Seem OK! IPad Air 2 is 437g)

It seems too good to be true.

It seems some people are using it. Is it lag free?

Heard great things about the shield..

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Thanks chaps.
The only issue I am reading is brightness. It might be a little dim for outdoor usage.

We also use the Ipad air 2 and have no connection problems.
The only thing is even with the inspire type bracket we still get some side wobble of the screen.:mad:
Then perhaps you need to tighten them screws with the included driver, and the threaded piece that attaches it to the RC. Mine doesn't move a hair. But it has been right tightened down, firm. ;-)

RedHotPoker

It's been working fine for me outdoors. I make a point not to stand in direct sunlight though.

If budget is a high priority then you might consider an Insignia Flex Elite. Great size and weight, bright screen, respectable specs, minimal lag, good battery life. I picked up an open box unit last week (~$117), have flown about 10 batteries worth and it is certainly capable. But it gets returned tomorrow.

A couple of small niggles I wasn't willing to compromise on: max 32gb sd card, I could not figure out a way to exit the Go app without rebooting the device, interface is somewhat clunky and the Go app crashed once the first time I used it. Worth a look if you can pick it up cheap.

So, I just ordered the Nvidia Shield K1. Looks to be a great buy for what you get. Plenty of overhead to run Go smoothly, HDMI out, front pointing speakers for the hearing impaired and upgradeable to Marshmallow. Seems worth the extra money to me.

Reactions: Cralis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues