Which Phantom?

Reaction score
Hi to everyone.

I've just joined the forum.. I'm about to purchase a phantom but not sure which model to go for? I have a gopro, so my inclination is to go for a phantom 2 and then just add a zenmuse 3d gimbal and use my camera.

Or should I lash out a bit more and go for Vision 2 + ?

For those on here with experience.... which will give the best results?

Also... I really like the look of the 'pilots eye view from the quadcopter.... (on an ipad or phone) is that possible with both options. also the ground station flight planning... is that possible with both?

Sorry for so many questions, and any guidance much appreciated.

Thanks

Will

First, where are you?
I bought the Phantom 2NV with the GoPro Hero4 on the Zenmuse gimbal. I trust the GoPro. I know what it shoots and how to use it. Also, if you crash the Vision and damage either the camera or the gimbal - you replace both. The Zenmuse gimbal is available from several sources and you can buy a replacement Hero camera at Wall Mart.

willstatt said:
Hi to everyone.

I've just joined the forum.. I'm about to purchase a phantom but not sure which model to go for? I have a gopro, so my inclination is to go for a phantom 2 and then just add a zenmuse 3d gimbal and use my camera.

Or should I lash out a bit more and go for Vision 2 + ?

For those on here with experience.... which will give the best results?

Also... I really like the look of the 'pilots eye view from the quadcopter.... (on an ipad or phone) is that possible with both options. also the ground station flight planning... is that possible with both?

Sorry for so many questions, and any guidance much appreciated.

Thanks

Will
:D
Welcome, Will, this is a good place to get information. You will probably need to really decide what features you really want.
Ground Station is a Vision App. The Visions also have the First Person View on their app.
Many people prefer using the gopro setup which requires more equipment to obtain simmilar features. Some pilots really like their fat shark type goggles, so they go with the P2 whose controller transmits on 2.4 ghz. Their goggles recieve on 5.8 ghz which is opposite of the Visions.
I hope this helps, and you can clarify which features are more important to your taste.

I made the decision you had to make about 2 months ago.

I went with the 2 non vision with the H3 3D gimbal. Today, that sells for $729 on Black Friday sales. Then I added DJI's own FPV kit for about $175.00 and my GoPro 4 Black to shoot in 4K.

All of this comes in at or near the Vision Plus's price tag, and the ability to use 4K cameras will improve your shooting considerably.

Since they released the Inspire, for more than 3 times the price, I don't think they are going to provide a path to upgrade the Vision Plus's camera to a 4K model. Now, you could DIY, but I'm not that techie.

Here's my latest 4K video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_PwgfLF6G4

Good Luck. Buy an extra battery. You will have too much fun for only one.

Darren

With the Phantom2 + Zenmuse, you won't have FPV or iOSD. An FPV and iOSD -enabled Phantom 2 will come in at about the same cost as a Vision+ if you don't include the cost of the camera, and if you don't mind doing some soldering. It will also void the warranty, such as it is.

I bought the DJI FPV system, No soldering required, no voided warranty. It included the Mini IOSD, which works just great.

It also takes about 10 minutes and some double sided tape, which is included to install.

Not sure what you mean MacCool.

D

Does the Gopro camera have all the versatility of the V2+ camera? And same onscreen controls?

Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit confused by some of the terminology, but learning a lot from this site. I'm in Leicestershire in the uk.
Will

mij119 said:
Does the Gopro camera have all the versatility of the V2+ camera? And same onscreen controls?

The benefit of the GoPro over the DJI camera is:

1. The ability to upgrade the camera as new features and abilities come out.
2. The new GoPro has 4K recording capability at 30fps. 4K is the next standard, but more importantly, today it offers the ability to use only a portion of the image, pan around and much more.

The P2+ does not have an upgrade path, and 1080 is the best you can do.

Darren

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers