Which phantom?

Reaction score
Hello

I am interested in purchasing a phantom but am unsure what would be the best option. I have looked at the various models numerous times........

I have a Go Pro
I would eventually like to try out FPV
I have a daughter (16) who is keen to try as well
I would like to take some videos of where we live in the country.
My budget is perhaps $700
I have a Samsung phone and a Samsung tablet

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard - Australia

The Phantom 2 would be the sensible choice. It's within your budget, and you could start off with a home-made mount for the GoPro. As budget allows you could then later add a gimbal for the camera, FPV, etc.

If your planning to shoot video with your Phantom, dont buy Phantom without the Zenmuse gimbal (either 2D or 3D). When its bundled with the Phantom its quite cheap, but if you end up buying it seperately it will cost a lot. Obviously Zenmuse H3-3D with 3-axis stabilization is better, but with a lower budget you should be just fine with H3-2D.

When I bought my 2nd Phantom, Phantom 2 was already on the market, but I ended up buying Phantom 1.1.1. It has same flight controller as Phantom 2 (naza2), double antennas etc. I have shorter flight times, but I dont have to pay 150$ for a new battery. Phantom 1.1.1 was also much cheaper than Phantom 2.

If I would be you, I would try to get my hands on Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D (or H3-3D if you get it with a price that fits you). Adding FPV to P2 is easy as it has all the wires you need ready for it.

Miika said:
If your planning to shoot video with your Phantom, dont buy Phantom without the Zenmuse gimbal (either 2D or 3D). When its bundled with the Phantom its quite cheap, but if you end up buying it seperately it will cost a lot. Obviously Zenmuse H3-3D with 3-axis stabilization is better, but with a lower budget you should be just fine with H3-2D.

You're right, of course, but a Phantom 2 with H3-2D is way outside Richard's budget. It he wants to do "serious" video then a stabilised gimbal is clearly essential, but if he just wants to have a bit of fun, then mounting a tray between the landing struts and fastening the GoPro to it with Velcro, sitting on a rubber pad to absorb most of the vibration should produce results which will be watchable. It all depends what his needs are, and how rigid the budget. But I'd still recommend the Phantom 2 as a starting point. It gives you the flexibility to add the extra stuff to it later on.

HarryT said:
Miika said:

You're right, of course, but a Phantom 2 with H3-2D is way outside Richard's budget. It he wants to do "serious" video then a stabilised gimbal is clearly essential, but if he just wants to have a bit of fun, then mounting a tray between the landing struts and fastening the GoPro to it with Velcro, sitting on a rubber pad to absorb most of the vibration should produce results which will be watchable. It all depends what his needs are, and how rigid the budget. But I'd still recommend the Phantom 2 as a starting point. It gives you the flexibility to add the extra stuff to it later on.

But if its for shooting aerial video, theres no sense of leaving gimbal out of the equation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4