Which Phantom should I buy?

Reaction score
Hey all, tried looking on the forum for some information on which Phantom to purchase. I won a Parrot AR Drone 2.0 and have been really enjoying using it (well except loosing signal every time it goes more that 15 metres away!) and it's really wet my appetite. Looking around I've seen good things about the DJI Phantoms, however I'm a little confused to the difference between the models and was wondering if anyone could help me choose whats best? I'm looking for something that perhaps I could attach my GoPro onto, possibly even some form of gimbal in the future to steady it. I'm not a professional photographer or videographer and this is entirely for my own amusement. I was happy with the 'okay' quality from the AR Drone, however attaching my GoPro would drain the battery excessively. Will any of the Phantoms handle the extra weight better?

Thanks in advance and hope you don't judge me too much for having the Parrot AR Drone currently :p

Any of the Phantoms will be able to carry a GoPro, they were designed to serve as an aerial camera platform. And you can add a gimbal to either of the phantoms as well.

I fly the Phantom V1 and a Blade 350 QX (and a Blade 200QX) and I'm happy with both for various reasons. I keep debating whether to get the Phantom 2 or not, so curious to see the responses you get.

So would something like the FS40 (I believe that's it's model, with a camera) be a good buy? Which model is the 'original' Phantom? Why would someone go towards the Vision/Vision 2 over the other models?

Thanks for the quick reply there too :)

To be honest I've not kept a real close eye on the DJI models since I purchased my original Phantom a few years ago - been too busy flying fixed wing craft.

The Phantom 1 is the "original" Phantom. I'm not sure but I think the FC40 is a bit smaller? The camera is only 720P so not the quality of a GoPro. But the price looks good. Not sure if you can remove the stock camera?
The reason I'd upgrade from the Phantom 1 to the Phantom 2 is because the 2 is a superior quad, from what I hear, and I like the visibility of the light better (more visible from below).
And I've heard the quality of the camera on the Phantom 2 Vision+ is not worth the price.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in to help you!

Thanks for the reply again. I am led to believe that the camera on the FC40 can be removed and the mount is the same as the GoPro mount, although I can't confirm that this is true, only that the camera is removable.

I had spotted that but I don't know if that would make a difference if I'm not using the WiFi on the GoPro/the FC40 camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl