Which Phantom do I have??

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and new to Phantoms. Not completely new to quads and Hexs though. I just bought a used Phantom a couple weeks ago, I think it's a Phantom 1 but I'm not completely sure. How the heck can I tell? The box just says Phantom not Phantom 2, but the quad says V2. I don't want to fly until I run Naza assistant to be sure I'm all set. Sadly DJI doesn't have an answer for me even though I gave them the serial number.
Can anyone enlighten me? Please? Oh ya, I tried installing the Naza assistant on Windows 8.1 but when I open it's tiny, I can't fix it with windows so I'm wondering is there an issue with this as well?

Thanks
Mike

Check out the photos of the different Phantoms here. That should help you determine which model you have.

Last edited:
Thanks. It has to be a Phantom because of the old style 2200mah lipo right? But V2? I haven't seen that version.

Reactions: aidan
There are different versions of the P1. What is the model # of the remote? How many antennas on the Phantom, one or two? And I'm curious, where exactly does it say V2?

Tx is a PVT581. Has 2 antenna and it says V2 on the sticker on the bottom of Phantom. I can take a pic if that helps.

Your remote is for a P1 5.8, or an FC40, which is basically a P1 that flies on 5.8 ghz instead of 2.4. So you can use a 2.4 ghz wifi camera like the FC40 camera or GoPro for FPV. V2 may indicate a second version of the flight controller NAZA M V2, but I'm not sure about that.

Wow! That was the most I've been able to learn from any of the forums I'm a member of. Thanks. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this forum! Does that make this a newer P1? I read of the possible issues with using wifi GoPros and Phantoms.

Hi guys,
It's a dji phantom 2 vision+ v3
It still flys good but with no maps or camera

Your remote is for a P1 5.8, or an FC40, which is basically a P1 that flies on 5.8 ghz instead of 2.4. So you can use a 2.4 ghz wifi camera like the FC40 camera or GoPro for FPV. V2 may indicate a second version of the flight controller NAZA M V2, but I'm not sure about that.

My remote isnpvt581

I'd like to see a picture of the info on the bottom of your Phantom. I'm guessing that you have the latest version of the FC40 that used to come with a camera, but was sold without the camera recently as a P1 5.8. The FC40 was discontinued and I think they just ran out of cameras before running out of 5.8 Phantoms to match them with, so they sold the remaining Phantoms as P1 5.8 instead of FC40. That's my guess anyway. The price of FC40s went through the roof when it was announced that they would be discontinued, while the price of all other Phantoms have come down.

If you had a P1 that uses 2.4 ghz, you wouldn't be able to use a FC40 or GoPro camera for FPV. That's why they made a 5,8 version, so you can safely use 2.4 wifi cameras for FPV.

Just to clarify, your PVT581 is also used with the Vision and Vision plus but you said you have a 2200 mah battery so I assume you have a P1 that has 5.8 TX and RX.

Pic 1- Phantom, 2- Tx, 3- box. Yep standard Phantom 3s 2200mah with XT60. Dunno about Rx, I'd have to open it up to find out. But I'd have to assume it's the same.

Attachments

• DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,511
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 12,419
  • DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 2,695
Just to clarify, your PVT581 is also used with the Vision and Vision plus but you said you have a 2200 mah battery so I assume you have a P1 that has 5.8 TX and RX.

Hi woody, I think I have hijacked some one else's post he started this thread the same as me,
My phantom dropped out of the sky to day for no reason and I'm left with out communication to the camera and the drone with my phone, and the humble doesn't move either and no green light on it,
I don't know how to diagnose my problem but I think it might be the wifi unit in the drone

I had an FC40 last year and as I recall it also said V2.0.0. I'm sure that you have the latest version of the FC40 without a camera, it's a P1 with 5.8 TX/RX. As for your assistant software issue, have you also downloaded the driver separately? Here's the link. http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/download They're at the bottom of the page.

That really helped a lot. Thank you. Now I feel more confident in flying this. I downloaded the assistant but not the driver. Before I can install the driver it say I have to connect the MC. What's the MC

What did you think of your FC40? Is it worth me getting that gimble set up or just do GoPro

I use a Mac, the Mac version of the software doesn't require a driver so I'm not familiar with the whole process of installing on a PC. Maybe someone else can answer that for you.

Hi woody, I think I have hijacked some one else's post he started this thread the same as me,
My phantom dropped out of the sky to day for no reason and I'm left with out communication to the camera and the drone with my phone, and the humble doesn't move either and no green light on it,
I don't know how to diagnose my problem but I think it might be the wifi unit in the drone
Aldan, I don't think your crash had anything to do with wifi interference if you have a 5.8 ghz TX and were using a wifi camera with 2.4 ghz. Connect to the assistant software and it will give you an error code if something is wrong.

That really helped a lot. Thank you. Now I feel more confident in flying this. I downloaded the assistant but not the driver. Before I can install the driver it say I have to connect the MC. What's the MC

What did you think of your FC40? Is it worth me getting that gimble set up or just do GoPro

MC = main controller = phantom (naza).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20