Which P3 is right for me

Reaction score
So I've looked at the comparison sheet between the different iterations of the P3. I am trying to decide which has the appropriate version whether it's the advanced or professional or standard The main difference i see is a 2.7k vs 4K and range

I would primarily use here in the mountains for photography and once I get all the certifications etc I'd like to do some real estate work or gutter inspections

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Price (least to highest):
P3S
P3A
P3P

General range (least to highest):
P3S
P3A/P3P

2.7k Video:
P3S
P3A/P3P

4k Video:
P3P

Flight Time (least to highest)(theoretical):
P3A/P3P - 23
P3S - 25

Vision Positioning:
P3P/P3A

Video Record Rate (least to highest):
P3S/P3A - 40mb/s
P3P - 60mb/s

Charger (least to highest):
P3S/P3A - 57w
P3P - 100w

Feature Enhanced RC:
P3A/P3P

Personally I would strike the P3S off the list. It has a RC with fewer controls on it, it is WiFi only communications meaning much less distance, and it doesn't have as nice a sensor as the P3A/P3P and no lightbridge video FPV. Then reason I would strike it off is your indication you would like to use it for inspections. Having the additional camera controls right on the controller I would think would be worth the price for admission to the P3A club. Add to that the additional range and less susceptibility to interference with the better radio communications in the P3P/P3A birds make the P3S a non-player in your scenario.

Also striking the P3S off the list due to lack of the VPS. While generally its not an overly used feature (to me anyway), it could be of great assistance in the gutter inspection aspect of your proposed commercial venture as you could be manuvering in close proximity to roofs and having the added VPS stability could prove very handy.

P3P and P3A also use the GLONAS satellites in addition to the GPS (us) sats for positioning and theoretically have a higher positioning accuracy. I don't own a P3S to compare with so this, for me at least, is theory only.

So that leaves the P3A and P3P choice. Its more than just a 4k question. No, most of us don't need or use 4k recording.

The two birds are virtually identical except for the color of the stripes and the 4k video. Virtually. But there are differences. Whether they are worth the price of admission to the P3P club is your decision. The P3P is supposed to have a higher video feed rate to the RC/Device. This may be a factor in live inspections where the recorded video is less of an interest than then live FPV on site.

The P3P has a higher recorded video bit rate yielding higher quality video. It has 4k of course. It also comes with a 100w charger cutting your batter recharge time down by 40% roughly. A faster recharge rate might be a good thing in a commercial situation. Obviously extra batteries are a must here. You can get them pretty cheap from B&H photo and they have free shipping.

You are going to have to lay out the features of each of the birds and put a value number on that feature. How much is that feature worth to you when you look at the price difference? All we can do is point out the features we think would be relevant in your situation. Ultimately, its your call.

For the record I own both a P3A and a P3P.

Make sure you understand 4k video. It takes a serious computer to even play them.

I'm on the edge of becoming commercial, but for me, 2.7K video is even high. I'll be providing videos to relators that are 1080P to ensure they can add them to their website and not have a choppy appearance.

The Lightbridge with the P3A &P is a big deal.

SB

Reactions: Wolfiesden
I concur. But its ultimately up to the OP.

I rarely shoot 4k. The increased processing time simply isn't worth it for my hobby adventures. However, its there should I need it.

I also agree, the Lightbridge, especially in a commercial situation, is well worth eliminating the P3S from the selection process.

If it were my money, the P3A would be the focus of my attention, provided I was sure I would never need 4k. A larger charger (even the 3-way blue) can be purchased to speed battery recycle time so the P3P doesn't hold a critical edge. Also for typical web productions, the difference between 40mb and 60mb/s recording rates are also not in play since you are likely going to downsample to <10mb anyway. If its for production video or perhaps broadcast, ok, the 40 to 60mb/s upgrade is a serious aspect.

I comes down to use and the OP's pocketbook.

I would primarily use here in the mountains for photography and once I get all the certifications etc I'd like to do some real estate work or gutter inspections
Since you're going to be doing client work, I'd suggest you go with the P3P since it shoots in 4K. That way, you'll have that option in case a customer needs 4K video for some reason.

Thanks guys so the standard is out. Given my rural area, 4K may not be a big deal since when i called the local airfield they had no idea that the FAA was even regulating UAS/AKA Drones. I told them i would be at the most 100 feet up and his response was "if a plane is 100 feet off the ground by you, you got bigger issues to worry about than your drone"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.