Which P3 Advanced Firmware is right for me?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the drone world and picked up my P3A about 2 weeks ago. After spending a week reading/learning about it I began flying it. Although given the warnings that I need to update the firmware (apparently there are battery issues) I flew it a couple times (nothing further than 100 m away 40 m altitutde). So now here I am trying to update the bird, rc and my 2 batteries but I am not sure which firmware to upgrade it to. I have read that you should wait to see if the new fw isn't crap by reading reviews on phantompilots and the dji forum but I find little to no info on the v1.9.6 update.

To make a long story short: which fw should I update to?

Currently at:

App 2.8.5 (iphone 6)
Aircraft 1.5.30
RC 1.5.70

I will be following step for step on the link
P3 Firmware - HOW TO: Install Phantom 3 firmware

Thank you !

The current firmware is stable, so it's safe to install it.

Reactions: Pharm
Check this forum for a few days after a new released to see if anyone reports new issues. When all goes well, some people often post that feedback here as well.

The current firmware is stable, so it's safe to install it.
I have read several postings here saying the OPs got ESC error after upgrading to 1.9.60. One of them sent the P3 to DJI and it was returned woking after hardware repair. Any idea what is going on here? Does 1.9.60 possibly uncover latent hardware problems?

I have read several postings here saying the OPs got ESC error after upgrading to 1.9.60. One of them sent the P3 to DJI and it was returned woking after hardware repair. Any idea what is going on here? Does 1.9.60 possibly uncover latent hardware problems?

I did the firmware install this morning with no issues at all. Will be flying later today, hopefully with no issues.

I did the firmware install this morning with no issues at all. Will be flying later today, hopefully with no issues.

Let us know how it goes with the latest fw update. For me it created disconnect issues with the RC at relatively short distances (100 ft high and 90 ft away), didn't have that problem b4 fw upgrade.

Note that if you went to 1.8 or higher on the AC, you'll also need to be at 1.6 on the RC. Good luck sir. Cheers!

Reactions: JoBe
My P3A came with 1.9.60 and I'm very happy with it.
Heard a rumor dji scaled back range to make the P4 look better. My range outperforms my battery so I'm good there

Reactions: monkeychops
My P3A came with 1.9.60 and I'm very happy with it.
Heard a rumor dji scaled back range to make the P4 look better. My range outperforms my battery so I'm good there

Only issue I have so far is that after I did the IMU calibration once the fw was upgraded it now takes alot longer (30 seconds?) for the drone to "warm up." Before the fw upgrade I don't think it even gave me the message that it was warming up.

Only issue I have so far is that after I did the IMU calibration once the fw was upgraded it now takes alot longer (30 seconds?) for the drone to "warm up." Before the fw upgrade I don't think it even gave me the message that it was warming up.
Many people do a cold IMU cal to reduce the warm up time. There are arguments for and against doing that, so research it a bit and do what's best for you. Cheers!

Yeah I heard that people put it in the freezer and stuff? But yeah I will check it out thanks

Hi, all.

Are there any restrictions added in the new Firmware? I just bought a used Phantom 3 Pro, and the firmware for the AC + RC both could be updated. I heard a rumor that it could take away some of the freedom that I have in the current versions. So, I just want to know.

Thanks!

--
P3P
App Version 2.8.6
Aircraft Version 1.5.30+
Remote Controller Version 1.6.0

Ah. Well, I'm not aware of any freedom that'll be lost either. It sounds like some kind of urban legend ;)

Reactions: BayouBill
Hi, all.

Are there any restrictions added in the new Firmware? I just bought a used Phantom 3 Pro, and the firmware for the AC + RC both could be updated. I heard a rumor that it could take away some of the freedom that I have in the current versions. So, I just want to know.

Thanks!

--
P3P
App Version 2.8.6
Aircraft Version 1.5.30+
Remote Controller Version 1.6.0

As far as freedom goes, If you update the firmware from the 1.5.3 that you have, you will be losing some speed and adding the geo-fencing system. The camera will be the same also but I believe that the 1.5.3 version was also from before the Follow me and some other modes were brought in by DJI. I'm not positive on this though. So you will be adding geo-fencing but really, unless you are flying around airports, it's not a big deal. 1.5.30+ to me looks like you may have 1.6.4 on the ac but check the version with all of the batteries. You may have a battery that hasn't been updated that is giving you the +. I had this on mine as well and found the battery that hadn't been updated to the 1.6.4 that I was running and all of a sudden I was running the 1.5.3+. Not a normal problem to say the least :)
So really the only freedom lost would be the acceleration speed and crispness of the rc as far as I remember. It just takes longer to get up to the speeds. I haven't updated since I bought mine, so you will need to do some reading on the different changes that have been implemented since October of last year when the 1.5.3 update was fixed and finalized.

If you knowingly choose not to run the current firmware, you sort of give up the right to demand any sort of technical support should you have issues.

If you knowingly choose not to run the current firmware, you sort of give up the right to demand any sort of technical support should you have issues.
Got a source to back that up?

Reactions: Reed L

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic