Which Option is Best for me?

Reaction score
I am a Realtor, I am looking for advice on purchasing of a drone for pictures of real estate. I have noticed this year that many of my competition has turned to drone images for listings. So i am shopping around for advice on what is the real benefit of the two drone mostly in regards to still pictures.

I am comparing the Phantom 3 Pro vs Phantom 4

I recently switched from using a photographer to take my photo's and learned how to properly use a DSLR camera to a good enough degree to take my photo shots for my listings. This saved me over $9200 this past year taking them myself over using someone else. So i'm looking into purchasing a drone for exterior still photography of the houses. My company has adobe lightroom and photoshop for us to use at the office for editing of the photo's afterwards, so i would take in RAW.

I am a Realtor, I am looking for advice on purchasing of a drone for pictures of real estate. I have noticed this year that many of my competition has turned to drone images for listings. So i am shopping around for advice on what is the real benefit of the two drone mostly in regards to still pictures.

I recently switched from using a photographer to take my photo's and learned how to properly use a DSLR camera to a good enough degree to take my photo shots for my listings. This saved me over $9200 this past year taking them myself over using someone else. So i'm looking into purchasing a drone for exterior still photography of the houses. My company has adobe lightroom and photoshop for us to use at the office for editing of the photo's afterwards, so i would take in RAW.
Photographically there is almost no difference in the P3 pro and P4.
Both are good products and either would be fine for what you want.

Photographically there is almost no difference in the P3 pro and P4.
Both are good products and either would be fine for what you want.

that is what i was thinking just going over the specs of the camera unit. Just was not sure if there was other things not listed that benefit one over the other, because i was looking at maybe getting the refurbished models because i only plan to use it 25-35 times a year to take a few pictures. Its $699 for the 3 pro vs $799 for the 4

I have both. Mostly for back up and more flying. They're both awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random Question, is the photo quality of the base/advance models same as the 3 pro? i really dont see myself taking video with it

Not being the drone police, but before you start snapping pictures, check out the commercial certificate requirements for drone pilots. New laws require a part 107 certificate. Have to take a test similar to what private pilots do. Lots and lots of info here on the various forums.

Reactions: flyboy73
Not being the drone police, but before you start snapping pictures, check out the commercial certificate requirements for drone pilots. New laws require a part 107 certificate. Have to take a test similar to what private pilots do. Lots and lots of info here on the various forums.

I did talk to someone about this, i will double check into it, but the way it was explained to me was that if you are selling the photo's/videos off for a profit, than the use of the drone is classified as commercial, but if i am taking the photo's myself and then surrendering them to my local MLS at no dollar amount than its still falls in the recreational rules is what i was told when i called the info number.

Basically if i owned a business that took pictures and video with the drone and sold it to another Realtor, who payed for the professional services of taking those pictures, that is commercial use.... from what i got from calling them. Since my MLS requires me to surrender ownership of pictures uploaded and im not charging them anything to take ownership, i am then no longer liable for the use of the pictures after that.

Basically i would be taking them, then giving them away...

I did talk to someone about this, i will double check into it, but the way it was explained to me was that if you are selling the photo's/videos off for a profit, than the use of the drone is classified as commercial, but if i am taking the photo's myself and then surrendering them to my local MLS at no dollar amount than its still falls in the recreational rules is what i was told when i called the info number.

Basically if i owned a business that took pictures and video with the drone and sold it to another Realtor, who payed for the professional services of taking those pictures, that is commercial use.... from what i got from calling them. Since my MLS requires me to surrender ownership of pictures uploaded and im not charging them anything to take ownership, i am then no longer liable for the use of the pictures after that.

Basically i would be taking them, then giving them away...
Sorry, the FAA has already addressed that. Regardless, of how its manipulated, if anyone benefits from the pictures, it's commercial. This has been discussed many times here in various thread.

Sorry, the FAA has already addressed that. Regardless, of how its manipulated, if anyone benefits from the pictures, it's commercial. This has been discussed many times here in various thread.

I'm not doubting you at all, but the person i spoke to was at the FAA via this number (813) 287-4900, if he told me wrong info then idk what to say.. all he told me was that i had to register it... that was all he told i had to do.

Random Question, is the photo quality of the base/advance models same as the 3 pro? i really dont see myself taking video with it
The camera in the Advanced is the same as the P3 pro.
The pro version has an extra chip to enable 4K video but everything else is the same.
I'm not doubting you at all, but the person i spoke to was at the FAA via this number (813) 287-4900, if he told me wrong info then idk what to say.. all he told me was that i had to register it... that was all he told i had to do.
The FAA has been very clear about what they consider to be commercial use.
http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/for-business-users/
Either you misunderstood what was being said or the person you spoke to was wrong.

is the photo quality of the base/advance models same as the 3 pro?
Yes. Considering what you mentioned above, the Phantom 3 Standard would be good enough for the work you want to do. If I were you though, I'd buy the Phantom 3 Advanced instead since it comes with a nicer remote controller and Lightbridge (which you shouldn't need, but could be helpful if operating in a neighborhood with lots of Wi-Fi). Plus, you're going to write this cost off in your taxes anyhow, so the price difference between the two is probably not an issue.

the person i spoke to was at the FAA via this number (813) 287-4900, if he told me wrong info then idk what to say.. all he told me was that i had to register it... that was all he told i had to do.
That person definitely gave you bad information. You will be operating commercially for sure, so you'll need to register your Phantom with the FAA and take the FAA Part 107 test to get your Remote Pilot Certification (see more details here).

The good news is that it only costs $150 to take the certification test and about $15 to register your Phantom with the FAA. If you're not already a pilot, you can find some study resources here. Many people here have passed the test with the help of the Remote Pilot 101 course. That might be something to look into too if you don't want to spend a lot of time researching and/or tracking down free study content.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1