Which one should I get.

Reaction score
Can decide on the phantom vision with their camera, or buy the base model since I have a gopro hd3 black already, and use the fat shark. I have no experience what so ever.

A little worried about the glitchyness of my gopro messing up. If I use the fatshark goggles do I just hit record on the camera befor taking off? Will I have no HUD on altitude and such? I want it for exploring back country and inaccessible areas.

Any re come rations on which one to get? I hear pros and cons on each. Sounds like I can't get the best of both worlds, so which one?

Since you already own a gopro then get the Phantom 2+ Gimbal and you can add FPV stuff later .You have more freedom of choice with the Phanton 2 rather than the vision .

If you have a GoPro already then, as has been said, it would be silly not to re-use that, unless you have specific reasons to favour the Vision because of it's "all in one, out of the box" nature.

If you are into exploring then the advantage the Vision may have for you is the remote control of the camera - start and stop video, camera shutter, WB, ISO, etc all controllable in the air. You also don't need to carry anything else with you but the aircraft, batteries, transmitter and your phone.

One downside might be the range of the Vision transmitter as it operates over 5.8GHz to allow for the video downlink on 2.4GHz - it's more or less line of sight, so depending on your "explorations" that may or may not suit.

Whichever you choose, hope you have great adventures!

If you are primarily going to pack it into the site you fly from, then I would probably go with the Vision. I don't have one - I have a P2 with gimbal and I just finished adding osd/FPV. The GoPro is very nice and the gimbal is even nicer. I think the videos it can take are exceptional. The Vision has more shake, shimmy, rock and roll than the zenmuse - you can scan this forum and pick up on that. I've seen some darn good Vision photos and video, though. With the P2/zenmuse, you cannot control the camera from the ground station like you can the Vision. You have to set it up and then launch. My P2 is kinda clunky for setup compared to the Vision but not terribly so. All the same, you have to pack a monitor and reciever (if you are using FPV - no smartphone link like the Vision) and any power you want for ground stuff. I have a 7" monitor with built-in receiver and battery which simplifies things - but it still isn't as clean and neat as the Vision.

If you want great video and can do without FPV, then the stock P2 with zenmuse would be great. I couldn't resist and added in the other stuff, though.

The range on the P2 is better - some get crazy distances with it. However, I'm not brave enough to send mine out of sight (except around close-by trees or some such).

So... I feel your pain. I still want a Vision because of the pluses. But I don't want to spring for $1200 just to have smartphone control. So... instead, I bought an F550 Flamewheel. I figure I can use it to go find my P2 when it gets lost. ;-}

So I'm going with the phantom2. Is amazon a good place to get it? About to purchase this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H297Z4G

As for fpv I want to have it right away. Do I just order that fatshark goggles? Do I need anything else

So if all of that is right ill buy it now. There's no way to tell distance or altitude with the fatshark right? How do you know where you're at.

Yes. Amazon is a good place.
You need a tx for the airplane and a ground receiver for the signal and a monitor. One solution is just to get an 'all in one' kit from helipal, rcdepothobbies, b&H camera, Amazon, b&H camera, etc. Many choose a ground monitor that includes a receiver. See: http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one ... eluxe.html as an example.

Look in the manual on page 6 to see how to wire it all up. Requires six solder joints.

Wildernessmedic said:
Why do I need a ground monitor? Ill just be looking through the goggles right...

If you have goggles, then that counts as a ground monitor. It is on the ground and you are monitoring with it. ;-}

The link is cool but I really want the goggles. So with the fatshark I need to buy other stuff too ? What is a TX? Lol I just need links with a buy now button haha

Call Le at rcdepot or B&H and tell them what you want. Goggles are going to pricey compared to other solutions but if money is not a problem, then go for it. Don't buy cheap ones. The good ones are back-ordered on most sites. Some do not like goggles - I wouldn't - but I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other.

ladykate said:
Call Le at rcdepot or B&H and tell them what you want. Goggles are going to pricey compared to other solutions but if money is not a problem, then go for it. Don't buy cheap ones. The good ones are back-ordered on most sites. Some do not like goggles - I wouldn't - but I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other.
Haha

What are "good ones"? FatShark Predator V2? I was planning on spending several hundred on goggles.

Just bought a p2v from B&H. This is my first machine. I feel that unless you are proficient at flying the p2v, you might wait to get the goggles un til you have experience flying it. I feel the distance in the fpv is distorted and hard to judge distances.

Just trying to help...

morepwrnu said:
Just bought a p2v from B&H. This is my first machine. I feel that unless you are proficient at flying the p2v, you might wait to get the goggles un til you have experience flying it. I feel the distance in the fpv is distorted and hard to judge distances.

Just trying to help...

I'm not a fan of goggles. The open system is great and lets me have a lot of freedom. Besides, goggles make you look like the guy who was bullied in school. Very geeky and not good for social interaction. ;-}

Seriously, the distance judging was something I considered. I don't want to fly with just the FPV - that is another skill. I like seeing it in the air.

Like I said I want it for recon for hiking and exploring out of sight. If I want to fly it eyes on then I can just take the goggles off lol...I appreciate the advice on learning to fly it first but I still want the goggles here for when i get comfortable. I can always get a mount on top screen later right? My fire chief has the vision for observing progress during structure fires. It's cool but I think th goggles are cooler. No glare on a screen, don't have to suck up iPhone battery... Instead of a tiny screen it's huge picture.

Wildernessmedic said:
The link is cool but I really want the goggles. So with the fatshark I need to buy other stuff too ? What is a TX? Lol I just need links with a buy now button haha

Depending on which goggles you go with, you will have to purchase a Tx and an Rx (Transmitter, Receiver). Receiver goes in the goggles, transmitter goes on the phantom. Modular designs such as the Dominators allow you to swap Rx and Tx to different frequencies, although 5.8Ghz is going to be the standard, make sure you do not purchase the same frequency as your phantom, which is 2.4Ghz. Other designs have built-in receivers and you only need to purchase the transmitter. To mount transmitter on the phantom I would purchase an accessory tray, or use some Velcro. You will also need the cable that attaches the Gopro to the phantom.

Would be a good idea to upgrade antennas on both the transmitter and receiver as well, especially if you are going to be flying around buildings.

Northboundndown said:
Wildernessmedic said:

Depending on which goggles you go with, you will have to purchase a Tx and an Rx (Transmitter, Receiver). Receiver goes in the goggles, transmitter goes on the phantom. Modular designs such as the Dominators allow you to swap Rx and Tx to different frequencies, although 5.8Ghz is going to be the standard, make sure you do not purchase the same frequency as your phantom, which is 2.4Ghz. Other designs have built-in receivers and you only need to purchase the transmitter. To mount transmitter on the phantom I would purchase an accessory tray, or use some Velcro. You will also need the cable that attaches the Gopro to the phantom.

Would be a good idea to upgrade antennas on both the transmitter and receiver as well, especially if you are going to be flying around buildings.

So I'm looking at the predator v2 package in 5.8Ghz. As long as it comes with a tx and rx in the package I'm good? How do I upgrade the antennae. Is that something I should buy right away?
Thank you for the help

Edit. Here lets make this easier. This is it. http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1129

Is that everything I need, a good model and freq?

Also why do all these packages say they come with a camera. Isn't that what my gopro is for? What's. that about....it seems no one will sell the goggles tx and rx without a camera..

Wildernessmedic said:
Bump... Sittin on the buy button. Answers to my annoying questions are greatly appreciated...

Call those places I named. Get the lowdown on what they provide and what you need. For each suggestion we give, you are coming up with more alternatives. Can't fight that - you have to call and get the straight on a package and then order it.

Wildernessmedic said:
Also why do all these packages say they come with a camera. Isn't that what my gopro is for? What's. that about....it seems no one will sell the goggles tx and rx without a camera..

These goggles and other FPV packages are frequently used on other uav's than just Phantoms, and not all are equipped with gopro's, so they often include a dedicated FPV camera. Fatshark only produces that kit with the camera I believe, so the dealers just sell it as-is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20