Which one should I get? (Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 Vision)

Reaction score
Hello all,

I an looking to buy a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D or a Phantom 2 Vision, but can't decide which one to get.

In the end I want to upgrade the Phantom 2 non-vision with FPV and waypoint management. This involves buying (if I'm correct) a GoPro Hero 3 Black camera (already own one), MiniOSD, FPV set and for the waypoint management the 2.4G Bluetooth Datalink. I don't want to buy all these accessories in one go, but buy them once I feel comfortable flying without them (and have the money).

With the vision, you don't need to buy any additional parts to shoot movies and have FPV and waypoint management (I heard waypoint management is coming in an update later on).

I'm afraid that I might get bored with the vision after a while because I like the idea of modifying the Phantom 2 and adding parts as I go.

In the end, how do those two setups compare to each other in regards to image quality, signal strength and flight time? What are the pros and cons of each setup?

Thanks!

I think it comes down to the videos/pictures you want. If you want aerial pictures then the vision will give you those nice panos. If you want great video, the vision camera is not as good as the gopro. Not to mention that unless you buy that dutch gimbal for $625 dollars, your videos will come out really shaky. So if you want stable video from the vision you are looking at $1825 to get that. Granted you also get the FPV (which a very short range) and you get the ground station (a dumbed down version we assume).

If you want to have the same thing from a Phantom 2 you need the phantom w/ zenmuse ($879), ground station with mini iosd ($230), FPV setup (around $300 for a monitor setup) and you are looking at around $1400 tops $1500. Of course if you don't have a gopro or an iPad, the cost will be much more because you will need both of those. So assuming you can get an iPad for $300 and gopro for $350, the cost to get the vision or the P2 to be about equal is $1825 for the vision and $2350 for the P2. Now on the flip side, you will have a gopro camera that you can do more with than just use on the P2 and you'll have an iPad which is just fun. So really in my eyes, the P2 is the way to go. I had a vision (technically still do) but it spends its days at a nephews home.

I do think the vision is DJIs new flagship that everyone knows and talks about but I think it is also is going to be the starting block for people to get into the P2 or 450 and larger units.

I have a Phantom Vision and I am loving it. It has all I need and gives me more fun that I have ever expected. I am however buying me a Phantom 1 to start building from scratch in to a better platform for videos.

Just like the poster above says, for me the vision was an entry level, now I am in to something perhaps more elaborate.

Go the Phantom 2 with the ZenMuse and GoPro, you won't be sorry and you'll have a nice platform to add FPV to.

I have a couple Phantom 2's (Non-Vision). They are great!

tvdnagel said:
Hello all,

I an looking to buy a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D or a Phantom 2 Vision, but can't decide which one to get.

In the end I want to upgrade the Phantom 2 non-vision with FPV and waypoint management. This involves buying (if I'm correct) a GoPro Hero 3 Black camera (already own one), MiniOSD, FPV set and for the waypoint management the 2.4G Bluetooth Datalink. I don't want to buy all these accessories in one go, but buy them once I feel comfortable flying without them (and have the money).

With the vision, you don't need to buy any additional parts to shoot movies and have FPV and waypoint management (I heard waypoint management is coming in an update later on).

I'm afraid that I might get bored with the vision after a while because I like the idea of modifying the Phantom 2 and adding parts as I go.

In the end, how do those two setups compare to each other in regards to image quality, signal strength and flight time? What are the pros and cons of each setup?

Thanks!

The range of the Phantom 2 is SOOO much better. I routinely fly mine out to 1km. Also, I can't stand watching Vision youtube videos. Way too much shake and roll. I have the phantom 2 with Zenmuse, iosd, and Fatshark goggles and I am so happy I didn't buy the Vision.

One reason I went with the Vision is that I didn't was a bunch of wires hanging everywhere connected to stuff, making the Phantom look junky. I also liked the fact that I could see the Phantom's battery info, range, wifi signal strength, altitude, etc right on my phone. Does this setup give you the same info (I think it's called telemetry) without all the crazy wires? I'm asking because I'm have wifi connectivity issues with my new Vision and was on the fence about buying either the Phantom 2 or the Vision at the time of purchase. In the end I went with the Vision because I felt it was cheaper that buying a lot of different components and looked clean with no wires. I may return mine for an exchange, but this thread has me wondering if I should just go with the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D and a GoPro 3 now at the time of return. I'm not into that much video like you guys, at least not yet, but felt if I was going to spend that much cash, I might as well get the all-in-one option and be done. I already have an iPad Air, but I don't have a GoPro. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ever decide ? Im in the same boat as you, but I do have a f450 I guess I can mess with. Kinda leaning toward the vision like the idea that it's all ready to go. I'm flying for fun.

tvdnagel said:
Thanks all for your input! I've decided to buy the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal.

Just so you know, I bought the P2 Vision and had it about a week or two. I really liked it, but like many here have said I thought the P2 with Zen gimbal and GoPro would be better. So I returned the P2V and got the P2 with Zen. This is the first weekend I've had the time and the weather has been nice enough to fly. I think its awesome and no regrets for returning the P2V.

P2V is a complete recording, FPV package.
P2 Zen is cheaper (but you get no FPC). GoPro is a better camera and more flexible (you can use it for other things.

P2 V gives you complete control over the camera in flight (start stop video, change to still photos etc)
P2 Zen you have to turn on the Go Pro, start the video or time lapse, then turn the Phantom on. You have to film the entire flight with no control over the camera.

P2 V has a very nice On screen display. Gives lots of info
P2 Zen has no video unless you add an FPV transmitter. You also would need to add an onscreen data link (like DJI's IOS mini). It give you basic info, but not as nicely formatted as with the P2V

P2V lets you see what your videoing. You'll have to add FPV capability to the P2 Zen to do that.
P2 Zen lets you fly with the lens cap on. I now have an excellent video that is completely black and has a wonderful soundtrack of prop wash and wind.

It almost sounds like you really liked the p2v?
I have a 450 that I had a gopro 3 on it. I hated the gopro,it was buggy and a pita to work at times. I sold it and go a mobius action cam for the quarter of the price. The video is great.
Sold the gopro and was thinking of fpving the 450 then I saw the vision and thought what great idea using my iphone or ipad and it's ready to go.
I guess if your going to do professional work the P2 is the way to go. But I know I'm just going to fly around and play , I'll probally be better off with the Pv2.

Hey all, I went with the P2V for the all in one package, I like the simplicity and everything fits in my case. I also ordered the drone expert gimbal, I think this is a great package for the novice or intermediate photographer and videographer. I would not recommend this for a professional, if you are professional you might want to consider the s800 or the new S1000. I really don't see much of the difference between the vision camera or the go pro3. " just my opinion". All in all whichever one you choose I'm sure you'll be happy with it. As far as a quality of video I use Photoshop element and premier to do all my video and photo editing. I can't wait for the spring and summer to finally take some nice video and photos in the nice weather vs. Flying around in freezing weather. Enjoy flying around everyone, as always safety first..

I'm going to get the vision. And was looking at photo editing on my ipad, but have no idea what to get.
I'm not a pro just wanna fly around and clean up the photo and video.
Plus some of these adobe , and other software is like 500.00!
I'm sure the pros use this and need it. But I'm just a guy flying around the neighbor hood

both about the same price $1200
P2 with zenmuse $879 plus a gopro $300

or Pv2 $1199 or a little cheaper by now

the p2 will give you better video quality but no FPV

the Pv2 has fpv but shaky video.

by the time you add the fpv stuff to the P2 you could just add a gimbal to the pv2

p2 will not support the groundstation app

Pv2 range is limited but with antennas can be extended quite a bit.

by the time you add everything to the P2 it will cost more then the Pv2

its all a matter of what you want i guess.

Mori55 said:
I'm going to get the vision. And was looking at photo editing on my ipad, but have no idea what to get.
I'm not a pro just wanna fly around and clean up the photo and video.
Plus some of these adobe , and other software is like 500.00!
I'm sure the pros use this and need it. But I'm just a guy flying around the neighbor hood

Photoshop element and premier on Amazon for $80.00

Poor quality!? Isn't that an oxymoron! I don't know where we're getting the poor quality video from,..... My video looks fine, and the gimbal will make it that much better. Don't forget the video, you see on youtube, are a compressed version of the original. Most of the videos you see on youtube are not set in high definition, and you'don't have a nice monitor you will not see the true video... With that said to each his own. If you like the phantom 2 with the GP3 then get one, but don't keeps saying how bad the vision 2 if you don't have one. More folks have purchased the vision vs. The go pro.

spanktimonious said:
Pinch1020 said:
Poor quality!? Isn't that an oxymoron! I don't know where we're getting the poor quality video from,..... My video looks fine, and the gimbal will make it that much better. Don't forget the video, you see on youtube, are a compressed version of the original. Most of the videos you see on youtube are not set in high definition, and you'don't have a nice monitor you will not see the true video... With that said to each his own. If you like the phantom 2 with the GP3 then get one, but don't keeps saying how bad the vision 2 if you don't have one. More folks have purchased the vision vs. The go pro.

"relatively poor quality" is what I posted. The Vision camera is a lower quality camera when compared to the GoPro(less dynamic range, limited to 1080/30p - 60i, heavily compressed video files{maximum 11,000kbps}, lots of in-camera sharpening and noise reduction, etc.).

I'm getting that from watching many videos on Youtube and Vimeo (some with footage from each camera in the same conditions), from downloading the original uploads and watching those locally, and from having an understanding about how things like resolution, fps, data rate, sharpening, noise reduction and dynamic range affect video quality.

Pinch1020 said:
More folks have purchased the vision vs. The go pro.

Where did you get that information from? (not that it's a valid argument but I'm curious about how you got the sales numbers for the Phantom1/2 and Phantom Vision 2)

Well you sound like a Pro, why are you tinkering with a phantom 2 with a GP3? I don't know much about all that camera lingo, I made the purchase to fit my needs, to fly, take some photos and video and most of all have fun doing it, thanks for your feedback, enjoy flying you P2-GP3..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic