Which of these options is the least crazy ?

Reaction score
Just like many others I was drawn in to this whole PV2 thing when I saw 12 megapixel Raw. I felt sure that no one would bother putting raw support on a low level camera.

I have loved the flying experience but really want sharp stills. I am now on the verge of moving to a P2 with a Sony RX100 which will give me the quality I am after. However before I make the move I want to explore any other options as I would love to keep the PV2 and its telemetry so have come up with some options.

1. Make a mount for a RX100 out of balsa and support it between the legs of the PV2. I would set it up in such a way that when I lower the vision camera with the app it would trigger the RX100. Take off would have to be from a box with a hole in it.

2. Get a more expensive RX100ii which has wifi and get a wifi extender but I am worried that this would interfere with the 2.4 ghz fpv wifi. I do not want to risk any chance of a flyaway.

3. Use one of the channels on my Futaba 35mhz tx with a micro servo and mini antenna to fire the RX100.

In all the above options I would mount the rx100 in such a way that it was lined up with the Vision camera in the centre position.

Does anyone think any of the above options are viable or should I just sell up and get a P2 with a very expensive Drone expert FPV kit and live with no telemetry ?

Pull_Up said:
If you are set on an RX100 why not get one and do some (non-destructive) experimenting with the Vision anyway on option one? Nothing to lose if you find it won't work as you want (plus you get a new camera to play with) and if it does give you the results you're after then bingo.
Yes, but I would have to make a decision on whether the wifi is a goer first. A second hand first gen RX100 (no wifi) would be a lot cheaper. I really do not know how I could extend the wifi of a RX100ii - anyone know ?

pault said:
Pull_Up said:
If you are set on an RX100 why not get one and do some (non-destructive) experimenting with the Vision anyway on option one? Nothing to lose if you find it won't work as you want (plus you get a new camera to play with) and if it does give you the results you're after then bingo.
Yes, but I would have to make a decision on whether the wifi is a goer first. A second hand first gen RX100 (no wifi) would be a lot cheaper. I really do not know how I could extend the wifi of a RX100ii - anyone know ?

In theory this should work
Posible.jpg

I think with option 1 whereas it may work and there is certainly no harm in trying it out, that there is the extra weight to consider as you are effectively carrying both cameras - the vision camera and servo weighs around 130g.
I'm sure other souls on this forum will give advice on whether that may be an issue or not.
Let us know how you get on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers