Which Nd filter do I use?

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just got the three pack of a polarizing lens, ND4, and ND 8 filters from Polar Pro. Which one should I use for what situation to make a cinematic real estate trailer?

Thank you!!

I think it depends on the lighting condition at the time you take your video.

This is what I understand (I have never used filter before) from the YouTube videos I've seen:

You want to set your shutter speed MANUALLY at 2X of your frame rate.

And more FPS does mean you get better cinematic effect, in fact opposite of it.

So for FPS, you want to stick to 24 FPS (or as close to it as possible, 24 is the standard FPS used for film/movie). So assuming you pick 30 FPS (I think this is the only option available for P3P), then you want to manually set your shutter speed to 1/60th of a second. I believe you also want to set ISO at 100 for best quality.

Once those settings are done, you start trying on the filters and see which one gives you the best overall exposure (not overexpose and not underexpose). Combination of overexposure warning and histogram chart will help here.

I think it depends on the lighting condition at the time you take your video.

This is what I understand (I have never used filter before) from the YouTube videos I've seen:

You want to set your shutter speed MANUALLY at 2X of your frame rate.

And more FPS does mean you get better cinematic effect, in fact opposite of it.

So for FPS, you want to stick to 24 FPS (or as close to it as possible, 24 is the standard FPS used for film/movie). So assuming you pick 30 FPS (I think this is the only option available for P3P), then you want to manually set your shutter speed to 1/60th of a second. I believe you also want to set ISO at 100 for best quality.

Once those settings are done, you start trying on the filters and see which one gives you the best overall exposure (not overexpose and not underexpose). Combination of overexposure warning and histogram chart will help here.

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl