Which mod do I go with?

Reaction score
Hey guys, new user on the forum here. Got my P3S about a week ago and now that I'm comfortable flying further I think a mod is due. Should I go with DBS or ARGtek and what is the reasoning behind it? If there is any other extenders im missing besides a windsurfer let me know. Thanks :D

Did you try to see how far can you go stock?
How far in city and in country side?
If you lose first rc signal or video signal...

Enviado do meu LG-H955 através de Tapatalk

I am in the same position. Consensus is that DBS is the best, though there may be some Chinese lesser known alternatives that perform just as well at lesser cost (and perhaps lesser quality).

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
I have looked at both of them extensively but with my stock P3S I am getting about 3000 feet before I get any drop out of signal. That is the farthest I have pushed it but I still had a signal out in the country at 350 feet and 3000 feet out. I don't know if I want to send my baby any farther away from me! But if I had to choose I would probably go with the DBS as that seems to have the best track record.

I got my P3S out to 3400 feet and turned it around and brought it back. That was stock antenna. I was just outside the Talladega National Forest in Alabama. I installed the DBS mod and just got through testing it a little. I was in a slightly congested area but sent it out to around 1200 feet and both signal strengths were at full signal. I was at about 300 feet altitude. I can't wait to go back to the country in September and see what I can get there!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have both and by far dbs mod is so much better than argtek hands down

I could get 6700 ft or 2km over the sea near a beach
only windsurfer and 27dbm mod

Welcome to the forum snOw .
I have tried about all you can starting with my P2V which is the same wifi set up so to speak as the Standard and the 4K which I have .
I have used all the cheap rubber duck antennas , FPVLR setup's to what I have now which is the itelite panel .
Have them on all three . Now I did install bird side antennas on my Standard right off and see now that wasn't necessary .
As far as I am concerned unless you just want to experiment which is what I did ,the itelite is your best choice .
From DBS or Maxx it don't matter . IMO it's the way to go and I have stopped with them as far as trying anything else .
Here in FCC I get 2+ miles with the Standard and 3+ with my 4K where I fly .
. Now I see 2 more post have came up as I have started this .( I type slow )
This Mod ftomas speaks of I have read some in that thread but I don't do those . Only antennas .
Just my 2 cents and 2 years of messing with distance mods .

I have tried about all you can starting with my P2V which is the same wifi set up so to speak as the Standard and the 4K which I have .
I have used all the cheap rubber duck antennas , FPVLR setup's to what I have now which is the itelite panel .
Have them on all three . Now I did install bird side antennas on my Standard right off and see now that wasn't necessary .
As far as I am concerned unless you just want to experiment which is what I did ,the itelite is your best choice .
From DBS or Maxx it don't matter . IMO it's the way to go and I have stopped with them as far as trying anything else .
This Mod ftomas speaks of I have read some in that thread but I don't do those . Only antennas .
well said and type as slow as you want :)

well said and type as slow as you want :)
Kinda slow in the head also .
IMG_5497.GIF

Reactions: J Dot and flpholt
I'm happy with the DBS, I feel like I see a lot of negative feedback with the ARGtek. So based on what I've seen from other test results on this forum I would say DBS.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Well explained thank you. I will go with a DBS. Thanks to all other members who replied as well.

Reactions: dirkclod
DBS > Argtek
Reason:
1. With DBS, you have the option to upgrade again by adding some amps between the remote and the antenna. You don't have that option with Argtek.
2. I think DBS antenna have higher dbi gain. Please CMIIW.
3. Cleaner setup than Argtek. Argtek basically you have 2 small directional panels and 1 omni directional antenna. DBS is just 1 medium size directional panel that has 3 small panels inside and you don't have to worry whether all 3 antennas are aiming at the same direction or not.

All that being said, if I have the chance to go over or buy another P3S or 4K, I would upgrade with amps first rather than the antenna. I just feel that the amps made my P3 4K fly much2 further than just upgrading the antenna in terms of dollars to distance.

I was in same boat as you a couple months back.

Researched the poop out of the options and went for DBS over FPVLR and ARGtek.
I did end up adding Sunhans like two weeks after adding DBS.

In hindsight; I might try to do just Sunhans with their stock 6dbi poles. But; I would say that DBS with Sunhans is just so so nice. :)

Reactions: jeganx
I was in same boat as you a couple months back.

Researched the poop out of the options and went for DBS over FPVLR and ARGtek.
I did end up adding Sunhans like two weeks after adding DBS.

In hindsight; I might try to do just Sunhans with their stock 6dbi poles. But; I would say that DBS with Sunhans is just so so nice. :)
Yeap, same logic. Would go with amps first and just use their 6dbi omni directional antenna. Don't know if the radiation is dangerous or not. Basically its EIRP 41db if you use the 3W amps.

Reactions: longdog
I went with Argtek cause it was only 30 on amazon with my gift card. Kind of wish I'd gone with the DBS but didn't want to drill holes in my controller.. then they came out with the "clean install " so I have changed out the 6dbi panel for a 14dbi one from amazon and added an amp got over 7000 feet in a pretty congested area near the mall . as fun as that was, the reality is i got the range I wanted . but as an Argtek owner , I'd say DBS

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Reactions: Phazgas

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl