Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Which main board is best

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seedler, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Seedler

Hi,

I have a phantom 1.1.1. Was considering installing the upgrade board so I can create a canbus port. My question is can I just install the phantom 2 board? Both are around the same price but the phantom 2 board already has a canbus socked fitted.

This would be the simpler option for creating canbus, but am I rite? :)

Thanks,

Damien.

2. rilot

If you install the P2 board you'll need the P2 case and battery too.

3. ElGuano

This a good question. A few people have replaced their P2 Naza with a Naza-M V2, which is pretty close to what you're proposing.

I assume the P2 board is marginally heavier than the upgrade board because of the extra logic for battery, fan, ESC connections. The P2 board will get you native C ANbus, but the on-board ESC connections will be useless. The footprint of the P1 board fits in a P2 shell, so I assume the P2 board fits in a P1 shell as well, though you'd need to confirm that.

The mainboard has no logic for the smart battery, that's all in the P2 Naza. So you can use a P2 battery in any 11.1v device, regardless of mainboard.

On the whole, I don't think the P2 board gets you very much over the upgrade board now that the upgrade board also has "free" CANbus. A lot of the extra supported features on the P2 mainboard needs P2 ESCs and NAZA, which are also more proprietary...

4. Seedler

Ah didn't know esc's and naza would need to be changed too. Upgrade board is best option then.

Thanks for the reply.

Damien.

5. ElGuano

To be clear, your Phantom 1 ESCs will work just fine with a P2 mainboard installed, the ESCs just need to plug directly into the NAZA like you are doing right now with the P1. The P2 board supports the newP2 ESCs with built-in status LEDs. Those ESCs plug into the mainboard, and the mainboard plugs into the Phantom-NAZA.You can't get the ESC LEDs working without a Phantom 2 mainboard and Phantom 2 NAZA.