Which is the most reliable firmware release

Reaction score
My unit, P3 Std, is currently on 1.2.4.

I see there have been 4 updates since then culminating in the dreaded 1.6.8

However I wonder if I am missing anything but not updating to say 1.5.7?

I think I am correct to do this I will need to update manually?

Welcome to the forum!
I'm glad your first post wasn't a crash, but few hours later.
:eek:
Not having a good start - help!
Sorry, I'm not going to be any help on parts.

I guess downloading new firmware is not in the new future yet.

I have had issues with firmware updates and avoid them.

Terrible signal performance

Rod

Id be interested in an answer to this also.

P3 Standard - on 1.2.4 - never updated but wondering if I'm missing anything.

Why is 1.6.8 dreaded?

Mine has had all its updates and performed perfectly, the only exceptions are when there are too many wifi signals around that my phone tries to latch onto but thats the iphones fault as you cant lock it to one source.

By the same token, why are you interested in things you might be missing out on by not upgrading if you are not going to upgrade? If you're happy with it then leave it alone, if you worry about upgrading then I doubt you will ever be able to relax while flying.

Ok, quick tease. Version 1.6.8 also lets you feed the cat remotely, lets you start your car so its warm and toasty when you return to it after a cold mornings flight and due to wavelengths only picked up by women, it will leave subliminal thoughts in your better halfs brain until one morning she leaps out of bed and buys you a brand new Phantom thats 100% reliable and future proof.

"By the same token, why are you interested in things you might be missing out on by not upgrading if you are not going to upgrade?"

Never said I wasn't going to upgrade -Just asking the forum if they have seen any advantages of upgrading to a version newer than stock, before I do so.
I have not seen a list yet of what issues the new firmwares actually fix

Negatives though of picking the wrong firmware I have read here include:
- possible bricking of the drone in rare cases,
- possible reduced range for CE devices in many cases
- blocking of the 27db Mod with latest (still beta) firmware in all cases - should one want to do it.
- And an inability to downgrade past the previous version.

So just wondering what firmware is the best one for the P3 Standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrislongley
My reply was aimed at the OP, sorry you thought it was aimed at you. Just remember that more people post for help than announce a succesful update/flight/video, it does skew you into thinking its all woe in the realm of Phantom ownership.

I guess the theory to updates is that Dji supposedly add new features and bug fixes. On the dji forum one of their reps says that no P3S updates are planned in the near future.

Bricking..not much you can do to avoid faults during upgrade I dont think, you have no prior warning its going to go wrong
CE devices are reduced range anyway...ive been up 400ft and out about 1800ft so far. Only reduction I had was in built up area where local wifi was messing up my phone.
2.7db mod ive no idea about
Downgrading I have no experience with as all my updates were smooth

Last edited:
I would not say that any specific firmware is good or bad. Some have problems with last one, other with previous versions.
I have latest official firmware with no problems at all. Updated since 1.2.4 and all firmware were good for me.

I would not say that any specific firmware is good or bad. Some have problems with last one, other with previous versions.
I have latest official firmware with no problems at all. Updated since 1.2.4 and all firmware were good for me.
Yes!

@Ozz, I have had P3S since August of 2015, every time there is a firmware update, there is some Std that fail. Way more then when firmware comes out for P3 A/Ps.
I have wondered if std's problem might be because there updates are done via WiFi instead of SD card.
This was before firmware's could be loaded via SD card and or downgraded from the app.

This is a partial list of posts on this forum, that were problems with just remote control signal problems after a firmware update on a standard. Of coarse I have a bigger list now.

I believe this particular problem, that I have experienced twice, is a hardware failure, the firmware wasn't the fault, the hardware failed. I have a list of what they replaced last time, posted on this forum somewhere. :rolleyes:
They first time I didn't get the same bird or remote back, nor any paperwork.

Terrible signal performance

They best firmware for P3S, is the one that works.:D

Rod

Hello to all -

I'm new to this, but hey no crashes (new to phantoms but not new to radio gadgetry!!)

I've had 3 different P3S in the last 3 weeks. Here's my experiences so far with all 3 phantom 3 standards:

1st - Activation went fine, but after that right out the box the "device locked" message. So updated to v1.6.8 and went fine, but range/wifi maxed out at 1000 ft distance and 600 ft altitude. Took it back to try another for better range/wifi.

2nd - Out the box, never would activate due to "SN invalid ID (or something to that extent)." Also, the "mandatory" update to 1.6.8 would never go through. My controller never synced to the aircraft either, causing the infamous RED light on the power (controller) to trip. I did everything (thanks to this forum/youtube!!) to try and push it through anyway. No luck, also DJI chat support said to "take it back to walmart, we have known issues."

3rd - I have been using this phantom for about 3 days. Out the box, activation took about 40 seconds and device/go app and phantom and controller all synced up fast. I saw the message to update to 1.6.8 but I declined. Over a cornfield in Texas (but a very built up area I need to say - many shops, warehouses, etc) I got up to almost 700 ft altitude and 1300 ft distance on v1.2.4 which I thought was decent. In my subdivision only 400 ft distance and 300 ft altitude. What I just wrote all happened on the first day. On the second day, I declined the message to update to v1.6.8, HOWEVER, I got the "device locked FW required" message when I attempted to auto take off and manually take off.

I decided to update to 1.6.8 and only can get to 700ft and 400 ft over that same cornfield. No mods other than the Inspire 1 mount (which shouldn't do anything to my ranges). I'm pretty bummed out to be honest. I still like flying around but today I completely lost all wifi/video feed and my controller power light turned red like it lost sync to the Standard. I freaked out but, it felt like I still had 100 percent control over the phantom. Luckily I did!

I will keep testing and flying in the same areas, and new ones, and see how this thing goes. I know the Standard is not on the same level as the upper models, but stating 3200 ft on the box is ridiculous.

Hello to all -

I'm new to this, but hey no crashes (new to phantoms but not new to radio gadgetry!!)

I've had 3 different P3S in the last 3 weeks. Here's my experiences so far with all 3 phantom 3 standards:

1st - Activation went fine, but after that right out the box the "device locked" message. So updated to v1.6.8 and went fine, but range/wifi maxed out at 1000 ft distance and 600 ft altitude. Took it back to try another for better range/wifi.

2nd - Out the box, never would activate due to "SN invalid ID (or something to that extent)." Also, the "mandatory" update to 1.6.8 would never go through. My controller never synced to the aircraft either, causing the infamous RED light on the power (controller) to trip. I did everything (thanks to this forum/youtube!!) to try and push it through anyway. No luck, also DJI chat support said to "take it back to walmart, we have known issues."

3rd - I have been using this phantom for about 3 days. Out the box, activation took about 40 seconds and device/go app and phantom and controller all synced up fast. I saw the message to update to 1.6.8 but I declined. Over a cornfield in Texas (but a very built up area I need to say - many shops, warehouses, etc) I got up to almost 700 ft altitude and 1300 ft distance on v1.2.4 which I thought was decent. In my subdivision only 400 ft distance and 300 ft altitude. What I just wrote all happened on the first day. On the second day, I declined the message to update to v1.6.8, HOWEVER, I got the "device locked FW required" message when I attempted to auto take off and manually take off.

I decided to update to 1.6.8 and only can get to 700ft and 400 ft over that same cornfield. No mods other than the Inspire 1 mount (which shouldn't do anything to my ranges). I'm pretty bummed out to be honest. I still like flying around but today I completely lost all wifi/video feed and my controller power light turned red like it lost sync to the Standard. I freaked out but, it felt like I still had 100 percent control over the phantom. Luckily I did!

I will keep testing and flying in the same areas, and new ones, and see how this thing goes. I know the Standard is not on the same level as the upper models, but stating 3200 ft on the box is ridiculous.
Wow man,
Welcome to the forum!

Take it back if you can, if they work right, they will do what they say, I'm happy what mine can do.

I'm refusing to do any more firmware updates, I think mine is 1.5.7, if not I will post back.

This "device locked FW required" is not good, I have not seen or heard of this before, or I didn't believe it at the time.

Keep us informed, I believe the Std is built with factory seconds, parts that might be second grade quality to meet the demand and the price point.

As many problems I have seen with the Std, I would rather have an Advance, even if it cost double. Today, I would never buy a Std..

Rod,

Last edited:
HOWEVER, I got the "device locked FW required" message when I attempted to auto take off and manually take off.

Were you actually able to take off or not?

Rod

Rodpad- not on the 2nd day of flying. So my experience was I got a few flights in on 1 battery the first night out the box after "ignoring" the update. The next day, the phantom was locked. I was only able to fly post update. Not sure what could have happened overnight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using PhantomPilots mobile app

So we're forced into an update that cripples the range?

I'm glad I got a Phantom, so noone can ever say "You should have tried a Phantom" but my next drone won't be a DJI.

Im using 1.5.7 and I get 3.5km with Argtek antennas and I can reach 500m altitude with no problems.

With a mod I'm not surprised. I should have doubted the advertising of the P3S and gone with the Pro. No mods needed. Just my opinion/experience. To each his own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Give some mods a try! the P3S might surpise you!

Out of the box my P3S was having problems at 150-200m ... now I can do whatever a Pro/advanced does, but like you say, I enjoy Overclocking computers and doing extra mods to my hardware. To each its own.

I'm glad that DJI produced the Standard, giving guys like me the extra push to get a proper flying camera.

However it has also given me a chance to see the way the company behaves, the general feel and philosophy behind it all - and that has pushed me away from them.

There seems to be a strong contrast within the vibe, a kind of "Well you bought it now, so it's YOUR problem, not ours", coupled with their manic desire to still maintain ownership and control over the drones we bought?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl