Which iPad

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am looking to buy an iPad mini 4 to use with my P4 how important is it to have the cellular version? If I have cellular do I need a contract or topped up pay as you go phone card to use the P4 functions like follow me etc.
Thanks for your advice.
Les

You need the cellular version to use follow me, and to update your home point if you move controller location. You don't need a contract for it to work...it's just that the non-cellular versions don't have GPS in them, which is needed for follow me etc.

Reactions: RémyHeli
The only iPads to have built-in GPS are the Cellular versions. To use P4’s follow yourself option, GPS is necessary on your tablet. It is not essential to have a SIM card fitted, although you will not be able to use live maps and Google terrain images without, but they can be cached beforehand. A wi-fi only iPad is perfectly usable, but won't have built-in GPS.

Reactions: RémyHeli
The only iPads to have built-in GPS are the Cellular versions. To use P4’s follow yourself option, GPS is necessary on your tablet. It is not essential to have a SIM card fitted, although you will not be able to use live maps and Google terrain images without, but they can be cached beforehand. A wi-fi only iPad is perfectly usable, but won't have built-in GPS.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Do you think that the iPad mini 2 is adequate or is the mini 4 the only real option. Thanks again for your help

I own both an iPad Mini 2 and an iPad Mini 4. Both perform well when running DJI GO.

Reactions: Pharm and slates
Hi Guys
I am looking to buy an iPad mini 4 to use with my P4 how important is it to have the cellular version? If I have cellular do I need a contract or topped up pay as you go phone card to use the P4 functions like follow me etc.
Thanks for your advice.
Les

The iPad mini 4 (cellular) and iPad Air 2 (cellular) are the same price. Why not go with the bigger screen? Mine fits perfectly in the remote mount even with a sun shade.

The A8x chip in the Air 2 is faster CPU and Graphics than the A8 chip in the Mini 4.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Do you think that the iPad mini 2 is adequate or is the mini 4 the only real option. Thanks again for your help
I'm using an iPad Air 2 cellular/GPS, bought (secondhand) specially as a monitor for the P4. Not sure what its processor is, but it keeps up perfectly with the FPV video, telemetry etc. I also have an iPad mini 2, but as that is wi-fi only, I haven't used it with the drone. It has a slower processor than the Air 2, I'm certain. I think a mini 4 would be a safer bet.

Tony.

Fwiw, the larger 9.7 inch iPads will dissipate heat better than the Minis. When you get to using a heavy processor autonomous app like Autopilot, you might wish you had gone to a better device if it overheats, processor speed slows down to compensate, and then may break up video in warmer climates. Autopilot's preference is the iPad Pro 9.7 + Cellular over the iPad Air 2 + Cellular and they both will barely fit into the stock RC controller clamp by a millimeter. Mine fits into the hard case's foam area made for it too.

My big fingers have enough issues with smaller screen icons that I need to use a stylus. For me, bigger is better although being bulkier. Some sliders in GO, color temperature for one, are almost impossible for me to set without the stylus as my index finger pretty much covers the entire slider area to work it. Even using it with Autopilot, I often have to "roll the stylus" to move waypoints a bit on the iPad Air 2 9.7" screen. My finger will never work there.

I think Apple is supposed to come out with some new models soon. Likely more speed, etc. Maybe in a month or two.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan