Which Ipad to buy?

Reaction score
Just got my new P3 pro for Xmas and was disappointed to find I couldn't use my old Ipad with the 30 pin... Currently squinting at my Iphone 6...

Before I take the plunge into a new device, I want to make sure I am getting the right one, since I am buying it solely for use with my P3.

I understand that a wifi only, (non cellular) Ipad does not have GPS in it, is this a limiting factor, other than having to cache the maps? Will all intelligent flight modes work? ie follow me, etc...

Thanks!

I thought that might be the case... So I do need to get a cell enabled Ipad in order to have GPS... However as I understand it there is no need to get a plan with it right?

As I understand it you do not need to activate the cellular in order to use the GPS. That said, I was in a situation like yours and did two things;

1 - Found a great deal on a barely used iPad Mini3 cellular ( like $200 ).
2 - Upgraded to a 6Plus as the P2Vision Plus does not hold a tablet without mods.

If you are on Tmobile it is only $10 a month to add a tablet plan that matches your phone data, or in my case, they did double data, so I get 5GB of 4G data and unlimited 3G. Worth a thought at least.

I found the jump from a 6 to 6Plus is huge with the Vision App, Since I just got my P3P today, I have not tried the Go App on the phone versus tablet, I will chime in on that tomorrow.

I also got a sun shield that holds either one and that is a big help.

Reactions: Deep6
You definitely do not need to activate the cell service in order to use GPS on an Apple device. Best Buy has a great deal on Apple device right now, so that'll probably be your cheapest option if you want to buy new.

Will an Ipad Air fit the stock holder? (dimensions online say 6.67", measured holder at a hair over 6.5", looks like it would be close. Or is the mini the max? While I am sure each step in screen size is a huge difference, If I'm going to drop 400+ on a device, I don't want to sell myself short, might as well go big right, (just ordered my DJI neck strap to hang the beast from...)

Thanks everyone for helping me get started! Appreciate the quick responses and good information.

After weighing my options, and pricing, and wife's frowns,(she thought that buying me a super badass quad copter was the end of it, little did she know it's just the beginning...), I am going to go with an Ipad mini 64 with cell,(and then tie it to her AT&T data plan), hee hee...

Thanks again!

I have an iPad Air 2 and it fits. Can even get one click down with the mount. I would prefer the mini though.

If your with AT&T they have a good deal on " certified new " ipads for a pretty good deal... they also are doing away with the 2 year subscriptions...

Too bad you couldn't have made due, until the iPad Air 3 Cellular gets released. But who really knows when that eventual day may arrive?
Likely to be a very pricey device to acquire as well. ;-)
I am an extremly satisfied camper, with the Air 2 64Gb Cellular.

RedHotPoker

Ok, got a couple flights in today after picking up my new IPad mini 64 cellular hooked up to AT&T.

Now, any recommendations on the best anti glare screen protector/film?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks, made a sunshade out of cardboard and packing tape to get me by till the one I ordered arrives... But still need something to cut down the glare...

Thanks, made a sunshade out of cardboard and packing tape to get me by till the one I ordered arrives... But still need something to cut down the glare...

Sorry to jump in on this thread at the last minute;) but I would recommend a hoodivision sun screen, hoodivision

I've tried so many sun screens out I've now lost count.... Even tried the DJI screen but it still didn't cut mustard...:eek:

Ordered the hoodivision, took about 4 days to arrive here in the UK & have never looked back.
IMO it's the best sun screen on the market for cutting out sun glare.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hope it helps in some way;)

Sorry, 3rd photo you get a free cat:D

Hey thanks Clampit! I'm sold! Cancelled the one I ordered and gonna order one of these. With over 300 days of sunshine a year here in Colorado, and currently a coating of shiny white snow everywhere, this looks like the ticket.

Hey thanks Clampit! I'm sold! Cancelled the one I ordered and gonna order one of these. With over 300 days of sunshine a year here in Colorado, and currently a coating of shiny white snow everywhere, this looks like the ticket.

No problem @Deep6

Hoodivision are so helpful so if you've got any questions or not sure about anything, ping them an email.

I just don't want anybody making the same mistake I made.... I've spent a small fortune on sun screens & the last one (hoodivision) worked;)

Just remember to order the right one for your tablet;)

Forgot to say..... Happy new year to ya:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31