Which IPad Is Best

I'm an avid Android guy, I have never used an iPhone for my personal phone. So Android is what I used initially, but I wasn't happy with the best tablet I could find (resolution and brightness-wise). I tried Samsung Tab A and then Tab S. That was last July, things may have changed, but back then I had to remove all the Google Services stuff, apparently because the DJI Pilot program wasn't developed to be compatible with it. However if I remove the Google Services stuff I lose a lot of functionality that I'm use to on Android, hence I was disappointed. I could never get the Android devices to work as good as my wife's iPad Mini3 (I borrowed it a couple days). I returned both Samsung tablets. I liked my wife's iPad 3 so much that I bought an iPad Mini2 64GB with Cellular, $350. It was the same CPU as Mini3, and cheaper than the iPad Mini3, so it seemed like the right fit. That worked OK, but sometimes it would overheat in 90F temps and I'd lose video reception as a result. If I kept an icepad on the back of the tablet I was fine, but that got old. The Mini2 had quite a bit of glare too. So, my wife upgraded me to the iPad Air2 64GB w/cellular for Christmas when I bought her a iPhone 6plus (nice trade-off, eh?) for Christmas. The iPad Air2 has been working good, I like the larger screen of course, and I already had the Inspire clip upgrade on my RC. Hopefully it will work OK in 90F temps next summer. I just bought Autopilot so I'm glad I have the barometer support in the iPad. FYI, my Mini2 has used 20GB of space so far because I enjoy keeping the 720P cached videos of all my flights on the device to show other people. I didn't use the Mini2 for much else because I'm an Android guy, only had the phantompilot.com app loaded, and my email.

Last edited:
Interesting you didn't have a good experience with the Samsung tablet.

I can see the issue tho. My phantom didn't play too well with my note pro 12.2. Didn't have any major issues but it wasn't as fluid. Which is surprising as I bought one of the cheapest tablets and it has been the best functioning by far.

Wondering if the "better" tablets have some added software or function that doesn't play well with dji go

Interesting you didn't have a good experience with the Samsung tablet.

I can see the issue tho. My phantom didn't play too well with my note pro 12.2. Didn't have any major issues but it wasn't as fluid. Which is surprising as I bought one of the cheapest tablets and it has been the best functioning by far.

Wondering if the "better" tablets have some added software or function that doesn't play well with dji go
I'm thinking it all has to do with the H.264 video decoding. That's a lot of work, very intense. If the tablet chipset doesn't support H.264 video decoding in hardware, the general purpose CPU has to do the decoding in softeware, and that's not as fast or efficient. Hence higher latency and occasional drop outs. I'm guessing those Samsung chipsets didn't support hardware decoding, now that I look back at what I've learned the last 6mos.

Last edited:
Good to know. At least this is something to learn about to make a better educated purchase in the future should my current tablet shat out on me.

I wish I did have a bigger screen. The iPad air sits perfectly and beautifully on the remote I must admit!

I have a P3A and bought an Ipad Mini3 and sent it back. Not being an Apple guy I am ignorant to IOS and just need a straight answer (please don't preach android, not getting one) What do I get for best (only Phantom use) Ipad? Air2 or Mini 4, 16GB or more (not keeping images on it) wifi but is Cellular a must and why? If I buy the Air 2 is a new mount a must?

Thanks

My iPad Air 2 fits on my p4 stock mount (same as p3 mount).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why did you send the iPad mini 3 back? It's highly rated by dji and forum help

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a 1st generation iPad Mini, no cellular, use it for my P2V+ on odd occasions instead of my iPhone 5.
Will it be of any use running a P3?

The old iPad mini 1 is too slow so it doesn't work well with DJI GO or Litchi.

I have one I got fro free with Canon 6D ... the default DJI GO 10 Mbps Transmissions Setting is terrible (30% of the screen is updated every now and then) but with 4Mbps setting it is OK (I had to set iOS region to U.S. because the DJI GO "Image Transmissions Settings > Custom" is grayed out in my region).

With 4Mbps "Preview Quality" Litchi also runs ... but the screen refresh soon starts to lag so adjusting the gimbal might have 2 minute lag... I noticed that if I quit and re-launch Litchi, I get realish-time screen for a short while...

The old iPad suits my needs otherwise. But I'm now getting a new tablet for the DJI P3P. Maybe the new iPad Pro 9.7", iPad Air 2 or iPad mini 4.

I will use the iPad Mini 2 w/32GB when I get my Phantom 3 Pro, this Thursday....can't wait....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4