Which IPad Is Best

Reaction score
I have a P3A and bought an Ipad Mini3 and sent it back. Not being an Apple guy I am ignorant to IOS and just need a straight answer (please don't preach android, not getting one) What do I get for best (only Phantom use) Ipad? Air2 or Mini 4, 16GB or more (not keeping images on it) wifi but is Cellular a must and why? If I buy the Air 2 is a new mount a must?

Thanks

What do I get for best (only Phantom use) Ipad? Air2 or Mini 4
Performance-wise, both will work well. The most noticeable difference is going to be the screen size. I use iPad Minis when flying (or Android devices of similar size) and I think the size is perfect. If you have problems with your vision, then the iPad Air would probably be a better choice for you.

16GB or more (not keeping images on it)
16GB is plenty.

wifi but is Cellular a must
If you buy a cellular version, you'll be able to use GPS on your iPad Mini/Air. That means you'll be able to use the Follow Me feature in DJI GO or reset your home point to your current position if you move away from the original home point after taking off. If you're not planning on doing those things, then you'll be fine with a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini/Air.

I buy the Air 2 is a new mount a must?
You might need an extender if the iPad Air is in a case.

Either air2 or mini4 are fine - ultimately just depends what screen size you prefer.
16gb is not enough in my opinion (& it's not expandable at a later date)
with Cellular allows for full use of go app "features" (as no gps in wifi only version) just depends if you are bothered by features..
plenty of threads on durum explaining what you lose/gain by choosing either wifi or wifi+cellular

Either air2 or mini4 are fine - ultimately just depends what screen size you prefer.
with Cellular allows for full use of go app "features" (as no gps in wifi only version) just depends if you are bothered by features..
plenty of threads on durum explaining what you lose/gain by choosing either wifi or wifi+cellular

Haha.. I was too late to the party already!

But at least you get a collective opinion :)

Can you expand on this thought some more? If only using it to fly and you're not caching video on the device, then why exactly would you need more than 16GB?

Reactions: Ohmygod
64 Gb for storage (and resale)
The OP does not plan to cache on the device, so the extra storage will not be needed in this case. I've resold many 16GB Apple devices (they resell like hotcakes), so buying a 64GB device solely for that reason most likely won't be beneficial to the OP.

The OP does not plan to cache on the device, so the extra storage will not be needed in this case. I've resold many 16GB Apple devices (they resell like hotcakes), so buying a 64GB device solely for that reason most likely won't be beneficial to the OP.
Mike,

For me and the family, 16GB (or lowest available, 16 was max at one time) has never been enough, for any Apple device I've owned. It runs out too fast, and gets extremely laboring when you get close to its max storage capacity. We are 15 Apple devices strong here.

It wasn't the sole reason, just my opinion and recommendation. Nothing more, nothing less.

SD

For me and the family, 16GB (or lowest available, 16 was max at one time) has never been enough, for any Apple device I've owned
I understand what you're saying. I recently had to upgrade my wife from a 16GB iPhone to a 64GB iPhone because she takes a lot of photos :)

In an effort to steer the OP in the best direction, I'm simply trying to point out that there is no need to buy a device larger than 16GB if it's going to be used only for flying the Phantom and video is not going to be cached on the device. Nobody will come anywhere close to the 16GB limit with this use case.

I purchased the Ipad Air 2 specifically for my Phantom. Unfortunately I don't use it for that purpose anymore. Too much glare, screen not bright enough. I have tried several shades as well. I settled for my Iphone 6s plus which has served me well.

Can you expand on this thought some more? If only using it to fly and you're not caching video on the device, then why exactly would you need more than 16GB?

I can, but didn't think 'opinion' really needs much!?

I've just never purchased smallest gb's of any product that is not expandable..

Also, (obviously not personally), but I remember lots of unhappy uses due to the amount of storage used by iOS (for example)

OP may actually like to use the iPad to store some of their media, (maybe a limited amount), maybe even get creative & download original media & use go editor or iMovie etc (without the need to use a pc), so they may share their experiences with others?!

But if we're on the subject of what you can "get by" with the OP could exchange their P3A for a P3S (or less) maybe?

As stated, it is 'opinion' - but the sky is the limit & DJI is "the future of possible" :)

I can, but didn't think 'opinion' really needs much!?

I've just never purchased smallest gb's of any product that is not expandable..

Also, (obviously not personally), but I remember lots of unhappy uses due to the amount of storage used by iOS (for example)

OP may actually like to use the iPad to store some of their media, (maybe a limited amount), maybe even get creative & download original media & use go editor or iMovie etc (without the need to use a pc), so they may share their experiences with others?!

But if we're on the subject of what you can "get by" with the OP could exchange their P3A for a P3S (or less) maybe?

As stated, it is 'opinion' - but the sky is the limit & DJI is "the future of possible" :)
Opinions are great. But, opinions that include information as to why someone believes something are more useful. Thanks for clarifying. It will surely help the OP make the right choice.

Reactions: zacksomeone
I use an iPad Mini 4 Cellular 16GB - the screen glare is less than other iPads which means I don't often use the shade anymore. I don't cache maps or media so no need for more than 16BG's - this iPad is only for flying so I only have apps related to flying - works like a charm.

I pay for data - $20 a month - just so I don't need to tether, and just in case I need it, but that's just me - personal choice.

Lots of good information on this thread....a slight correction on Solar Deity, all ipad air 2 and iphone 6 have barometer capability with or without cellular....you are correct about the GPS only happens if it has the cellular capability....that's where I messed up and was ignorant...I purchased the ipad air 2 wifi 64 gb, no cellular as I didn't want a data plan, but I didn't need to activate any data plan. BUT, I did need to have GPS for the Autopilot program I purchased as the first day I set up in a park, it showed me and the home point to be 250 ft. away on top of a church building...so I chose to purchase the $150 mobile Dual Electronics xgps160 using Bluetooth tech....now my position is correct at the device and RC if not moving. You can purchase the stronger support bracket for the Inspire for the larger device or what I did was utilize an mini tripod I already had, bought a nice metal clamp from Square Jellyfish that screws onto the tripod and a 10 ft. lightning cable, now everyone can see and I have NO CLAMP on the RC.
square jellyfish.JPG

Lots of good information on this thread....a slight correction on Solar Deity, all ipad air 2 and iphone 6 have barometer capability with or without cellular....you are correct about the GPS only happens if it has the cellular capability....that's where I messed up and was ignorant...I purchased the ipad air 2 wifi 64 gb, no cellular as I didn't want a data plan, but I didn't need to activate any data plan. BUT, I did need to have GPS for the Autopilot program I purchased as the first day I set up in a park, it showed me and the home point to be 250 ft. away on top of a church building...so I chose to purchase the $150 mobile Dual Electronics xgps160 using Bluetooth tech....now my position is correct at the device and RC if not moving. You can purchase the stronger support bracket for the Inspire for the larger device or what I did was utilize an mini tripod I already had, bought a nice metal clamp from Square Jellyfish that screws onto the tripod and a 10 ft. lightning cable, now everyone can see and I have NO CLAMP on the RC.View attachment 39064

I really like your idea with the tripod, going for a big screen in the open will let curious observers have a good look for themselves :)

Lots of good information on this thread....a slight correction on Solar Deity, all ipad air 2 and iphone 6 have barometer capability with or without cellular....you are correct about the GPS only happens if it has the cellular capability....that's where I messed up and was ignorant...I purchased the ipad air 2 wifi 64 gb, no cellular as I didn't want a data plan, but I didn't need to activate any data plan. BUT, I did need to have GPS for the Autopilot program I purchased as the first day I set up in a park, it showed me and the home point to be 250 ft. away on top of a church building...so I chose to purchase the $150 mobile Dual Electronics xgps160 using Bluetooth tech....now my position is correct at the device and RC if not moving. You can purchase the stronger support bracket for the Inspire for the larger device or what I did was utilize an mini tripod I already had, bought a nice metal clamp from Square Jellyfish that screws onto the tripod and a 10 ft. lightning cable, now everyone can see and I have NO CLAMP on the RC.View attachment 39064
That looks like an awesome setup! I need to look into more like this instead of buying a bigger mount. Thanks

Thanks to all who have replied and all your thoughts and opinions are appreciated! I went to Bestbuy and picked up the Air 2 16 GB with WiFi and cellular. I am about to be retired and will have plenty of time to learn this slowly. I don't plan my 1st flight until early spring (Northern NY is brutal winter) and I have a Hubsan 4X to practice on along with the DJI Go. The download of the 9.2 IOS was clean and so was the go app. Anyone with any other advice would be welcome. Please PM me. Much appreciated! JON

I am late to the party :p
You have already bought the 16GB Air 2 which is more than enough for flying your drone and running a few apps on it.
I also agree some people like to use their iPad Air 2 for all other purposes than just flying drones since it has plenty of power, so if you like storing movies and playing big games in your iPad, then you definitely need more than 16GB.

Thanks to all who have replied and all your thoughts and opinions are appreciated! I went to Bestbuy and picked up the Air 2 16 GB with WiFi and cellular. I am about to be retired and will have plenty of time to learn this slowly. I don't plan my 1st flight until early spring (Northern NY is brutal winter) and I have a Hubsan 4X to practice on along with the DJI Go. The download of the 9.2 IOS was clean and so was the go app. Anyone with any other advice would be welcome. Please PM me. Much appreciated! JON
Sounds like you're on your way. You're taking an intelligent approach as well with the Hubsan. Northern NY winter weather can be brutal, (went to Canton for engineering), but it was 68 on Christmas Eve here in Syracuse, and Xmas day was 50+ and sunny. I know the North Country can be a little colder, (have relatives in Potsdam), but compared to last years winter, this is like never ending Fall. I don't wish last Winter on anyone. Best of luck with your new machines.

SD

Man up and buy an android tablet if you don't want a cellular connected ipad.

WiFi only ipads don't have GPS chip. WiFi only samsung tablets do.

I went with a galaxy tab pro for $160 at bestbuy. IT is only used for the drone or streaming Pandora in my garage (to keep battery in cycle). This saves me $120 a year in access fee with Verizon plus $300 difference in a verizon ipad vs the cheap samsung tablet.

I Hotspot off my phone for data for my flights (auto connects, just need to turn it on my iPhone with a flick of a switch)

Sorry if I'm rude. I just don't get why some folk make it more complicated than it has to be and spend more money than needed!

Flip side if you can use the iPad for other functions then my idea is void.

I have a macbook pro, ipad air on verizon, galaxy note pro 12" on verizon, samsung galaxy tab pro (for drone) and iPhone 6s plus. So I'm not biased lol

Reactions: ShelbyPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4