Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Which Gopro is Recommended

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by Gary E, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Gary E

Is it neccessary to step up to the 'pay window' and get the GoPro 3+ Black, or is the Silver or White addition sufficent? I've been a Contour user. The setup includes the P2 with FPV.

2. Boozshey

I've gone back and fourth on this one a lot. Right now if I were in the market, I would get the cosco deal on the silver. It's a great deal.

I had a 3 but I broke it and was in the market again. However, this was after the big Christmas push to get rid of all the 3's that they were selling for $240. Since I had to buy another, I just went ahead and opted for the 3+ Black because it came with everything. That left me with an extra remote that I sold to make some of the money back. The remote is a joke and I just use my phone when I want to wireless control it (never when it's on the Phantom).

So right now with the Costco sale if I were faced with a 3+ Black for $350 (-50 for remote) or a 3+ Silver for $230, I would get the Silver. If the silver were still $299, I would get the Black.

Ultimately everyone says the 3 is better for longer range video from the Quad, but for me they are equal. Maybe I lucked out and got the good focused 3+...

Well, hope that helps some, in the end it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

3. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Buy the best model you can afford. You'll be happier in the long run.

4. Gizmo3000

agreed,. as you might always regret not doing so in the first place.

The great thing about the Black+ of course, is that it's just plain better and can shoot higher than 1080/30p video,. many flyers prefer shooting at 60fps. or 2.7k with pro tune.
    plus the Black can do 1080 Video and Stills at the same time, a huge benefit later on when/if you want to shoot while flying FPV.

It just sucks that they charge so much more for it, when it literally costs them the same to make as the Silver!@#

5. JeffHVT

REI.com, has the 3+ at 20% off for members (lifetime membership $20.) Members can buy 1 item at 20% off with free 2 day shipping (at least in US) I believe the offer is through the 13th of April.
    I purchased the Silver 3+ for $239. I did not wish to risk the extra money on loosing the black, and lower frame rate of the higher res. just wasn't anything I felt that I would use.
    As far as the advantage of the 3+ over the 3, the big difference is lag time of the FPV. I understand that the lag on the 3 is 2-3 seconds, while on the 3+, it is only about 1/2 second. This could be important is avoiding a crash!

6. kydan

Agreed--purchase as high as you can fit in your budget.

The GoPro Hero 4 should be out sooner than later if you can wait.

7. Seahorse

Might also depend on when the 'Summer' starts given we are in Q2 now...