Which gimbal guard?

Reaction score
I have one that i mount under the camera on landing feet. To protect camera. Now i wanna buy one for gimbal, which isnt hard to install and is trustworthy.

You can find a list of commonly used guards here.

Reactions: t2adze
I have a 3D printed one similar to that. I don't like it and it does not fit well. I bought one on eBay that is fantastic! All aluminum, cheap, and easy to install. The seller had fast shipping and it fit perfectly.

Gimbal Crash Protector Ribbon Cable Saver For DJI Phantom 3 Pro Advanced CNC Alu

s-l500.jpg

Does this really help or isnt that neccesary?
The goal is to prevent the gimbal from separating if you have a severe crash. When the gimbal separates, the gimbal ribbon cable normally snaps and the camera can fall off and become damaged.

Do you think it really does anything? Meaning, does it really make it safe?
Not sure what will happen in a crash but the cams do tend to separate at that motor. The guard keeps it from completely separating and breaking the ribbon cable. For $15 it is worth the gamble I suppose. ;)

Do you think it really does anything? Meaning, does it really make it safe?
It's like wearing a helmet. Yeah it'll help cushion your head if you fall off your bike, but if you hit hard enough you're still going to break something.

I've thought about getting one of those cable savers. But I just had a crash and the metal arm actually snapped off, leaving the camera and gimbal attached. The cable saver wouldn't have helped in my case.

I see. Thanks guys!

LuvMyTJ - I saw one same kind of on Amazon, for 50$(!). Will get this one then. 15$ sounds ok for me.
Is it easy to install? Nothing dangerous?

I don't think there is any reliable evidence that the gimbal attachment does anything at all. That would require someone to actually crash. That said I have one on mine because it seems that logically it could offer some protection. We will see.

But I just had a crash and the metal arm actually snapped off
That is another weak point on the Phantom 3. There are 3rd party yaw arms that are made of stronger materials (for example).

What kind of malfunction?

Your link yields a blank screen, attempting to load their home page results in this:

Could not connect to the database!Could not select the database!Could not get hits: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysqld.sock' (2)

Need new socks.

Your link yields a blank screen, attempting to load their home page results in this
I used to run into that issue a while back when connecting to their website via some Internet connections. Haven't seen it lately though.

Well whatever, I appreciate knowing stronger parts exist. Must be some brittle metal, it snapped like a twig. Sending it off to Hani today.

Good choice :)
That's what seems to be the word! Nothing against DJI personally but between their turnaround and customer service horror stories and the fact that Hani seems to be everyone's go-to guy, I'd be a fool to send my drone to them. I need to finish the job I crashed on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers