which Futaba radios with Phantom 2?

I Would agree that there is no point upgrading to a better transmitter In most cases - I have to admit, I haven't found any limitations with the stock DJI transmitter other than it is pretty poorly built . However as frequency hopping is better on the Futaba (I've heard this from several sources - do your own research to confirm) and interference will be reduced that's got to be a good thing right? But also, the Futaba will outlast the P2 and will be usable with other models in the future particularly if you get into building your own quads or maybe into fixed wing flying, it makes it it good choice if you are looking to upgrade and get more into the hobby further down the line.
It's common for people to get defensive when they are made to feel that their kit is inadequate, I'm sure this isn't the intention. Upgrading isn't for everyone, I'm in no rush to upgrade immediately but it's on my wish list for when funds allow and this particular futaba seems like a very good choice IMHO.

WessexWyvern said:
I Would agree that there is no point upgrading to a better transmitter In most cases - I have to admit, I haven't found any limitations with the stock DJI transmitter other than it is pretty poorly built.

What's bugging me about the stock DJI tx is that there's no detente on the sticks. So, for instance, let's say I'm descending straight down while looking up at the bird. It's hard for me to get the stick exactly and precisely straight down, so I wind up with a bit of yaw left or right. And since I make sure to also move slightly forward and backward to mitigate any VRS issues, that leads to some confusing descents.

Also, even with the gains turned down, I seem to be having problems moving the aircraft slowly. FOr instance, if I want to roll left very slowly, even the slightest movement of the sticks from the centre position seems to send it off on its way. I'd like to be able to program in more of a "neutral dead zone" for the sticks. Since I'm using the P2 solely as a filming platform, I need it to behave much more "dully", which I'm having trouble doing with the stock tx and gain settings. Unless I'm mistaken, the Futabas appear to offer more in the way of stick behaviour customisation.

Hi ianwood.
I have Futaba T14SG and I am interesting of your newest profile with strobe on 8 channel.Is it possible to share that?
martin

WessexWyvern said:
Thanks ianwood for suggesting the 14SG as a P2 TX replacement. I'm contemplating building some cheap and simple fixed wing aircraft as well as building some mini quads,so I've been wondering where to start when it comes to radio gear and that would seem to fit the bill, particularly as I already have an iOSD, canbus and anti-interference board wedged inside the shell. I don't really want to try and find space for another RX if I can avoid it.
Is it easy enough for a complete novice to bind to the P2? And do you know if it would limit me in anyway when I expand into using it with other aircraft (ie are the RXs particularity expense, hard to source, not suited to certain types of a/c - that sort of thing)?

The Futaba has many features - some alluded to in this thread - that make it fun to use with the Phantom. It is not necessary to have it - but it isn't necessary to have a Phantom, either. I trust the stock DJI rx, BTW, so there wouldn't be anything wrong in using it 100%. It's just that I have a Futaba 8 for the Phantom and it is very nice and feature rich. I have a 14sg for my T810 - which I need since I'm using more than 7 channels.

Binding to the P2 rx is the same as binding the stock tx. Use the manual - it is simple.

I've run into this issue of whether the Futaba will work well with other RC aircraft. The answer is that it will if you have the option of installing your receiver - your rx will not be cheap (> $100 in some cases). For BNF (bind and fly) aircraft which come with their own receiver, it appears the Futaba won't mate up easily. The weapon of choice for the small RC world such as Park flyer, 3D, etc is Spectrum. Many of the BNF aircraft expect a Spectrum or compatible of at least 4 channels. Hobbyking make cheap, small rx for them (< $20) and even 3 axis flight stabilizers for $25 or so. Tie one of them up to a foamie and you have a fairly stable platform even in mild wind.

The good news, a 6 channel Spectrum works for most aircraft - and it only costs $129 new. Although I have a Devo 7 that I got with an F550 and have been using it successfully with non-BNF. The DX6 (Spectrum) has full features, model selection and program-ability so you can dial in important features such as Elevon control, Dual Rate, and Exponential. Expo seems one of the most important and the cheaper tx do not always have it.

You want mode 2 if you expect the throttle to be on the left.

You will probably want centering throttle sticks for the multis. If you do that, then you don't want to use that tx on an RC aircraft.

So - in my normal fiscally conservative way - I said screw it and bought the Spectrum and am now looking at converting my RC airplanes to Spectrum/OrangeRX rx and stabilizers.

WessexWyvern said:
Thanks LadyKate, that's exactly the sort of info I need. :cool:

Forgot one thing - don't worry about getting a helicopter version of the Futaba for your Phantom. You can use either mode - and I am using airplane mode on both mine. The P2 is not a helicopter so swash plates (movable rotor blades) and stuff don't apply.

ladykate said:
WessexWyvern said:
Thanks LadyKate, that's exactly the sort of info I need. :cool:

Forgot one thing - don't worry about getting a helicopter version of the Futaba for your Phantom. You can use either mode - and I am using airplane mode on both mine. The P2 is not a helicopter so swash plates (movable rotor blades) and stuff don't apply.

Usually there is no difference with regards to the programming options in either 'version'. They will both have the same heli, air, and multi [rotor] options.

However, there usually IS a difference in the type (and sometimes location) of the programmable toggle switches (SPST, SPDT, momentary, etc.) and the throttle stick operation (ratchet, smooth, spring return to center, etc.).

canadavenyc said:
Also, even with the gains turned down, I seem to be having problems moving the aircraft slowly. FOr instance, if I want to roll left very slowly, even the slightest movement of the sticks from the centre position seems to send it off on its way. I'd like to be able to program in more of a "neutral dead zone" for the sticks. Since I'm using the P2 solely as a filming platform, I need it to behave much more "dully", which I'm having trouble doing with the stock tx and gain settings. Unless I'm mistaken, the Futabas appear to offer more in the way of stick behaviour customisation.

That was one of my primary drivers to upgrade: dual rate (multi-rate, in fact) sticks.

canadavenyc said:

You can dial in exponential/ create curves for the sticks in the Futaba. Start at about 40 percent and you should see a 'mild' effect initially but as you increase stick throw, the effect will increase until it gets to 100%

ladykate said:
canadavenyc said:

You can dial in exponential/ create curves for the sticks in the Futaba. Start at about 40 percent and you should see a 'mild' effect initially but as you increase stick throw, the effect will increase until it gets to 100%

Exactly :)

So, what's the consensus as to the cheapest Futaba to buy that is compatible for the P2? No bells/whistles, just basic control of all P2 functions?

canadavenyc said:
So, what's the consensus as to the cheapest Futaba to buy that is compatible for the P2? No bells/whistles, just basic control of all P2 functions?

I don't think there are any cheap Futabas. :|

The 8FG seems to be popular and sometimes you can get it on eBay for $450 or so. With a rx sometimes. There is a used one with rx on there now for $350 (not a Super?).

The 8J is also very popular and about $100 less.

canadavenyc said:
ladykate said:
canadavenyc said:

Exactly :)

If you want to use the P2's OEM Rx, than any 7 channel or better Futaba 2.4GHz 'FASST' Tx will bind directly and there is no need to even open the P2 shell.

If you wish to replace the Rx as well, then be sure the Rx has 'S.bus' or 'S.bus2' output(s) as the P2 NAZA will not accept PWM inputs.

Replacing both Tx & Rx opens the way to other brands of radio equip. as well.

SJBrit said:
I know that this Phantom is just step 1 on a long road of addiction...

Laughing with you, not at you... :D
I have serious needle marks all over my arms and wallet.

Kelly

the T8J is the cheapest route to go, if you don't mind swapping out the Rx.

tho if you want to keep the Rx, (and wish to continue using the FAAST system, which is apparently better), go with the FG or SGsuper.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj